Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Chipping out the wood keel core
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

treeder65
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
50 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/04/2012 :  12:17:09  Show Profile  Visit treeder65's Homepage
Working on the recommended fix from Catalina for sealing the keel bolts and replacing the wood core. My core is soaked but not rotted and it is slow going. Anyone have any good methods other than keeping the chisel very sharp. I attempted numerous holes with hole saws but the soaked wood is so dense, it doesn't cut very well or quick. It reminds me of working on truck manifolds and engines rusted out; knuckle buster no matter how you slice it.

Tom
1986 C25 SR/FK #5299
Hunterdon County, NJ

Edited by - treeder65 on 08/07/2012 18:43:08

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5234 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2012 :  07:32:09  Show Profile
Dumb question : if the core is not rotted, why not just try and dry it out? What material are you planning to replace the wood with????

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2012 :  19:06:44  Show Profile
That's what I was thinking. If it's this hard to get out why mess with it? Dry it out, glass back over it, and keep an eye out for any future softening or rot.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dolivaw
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
109 Posts

Response Posted - 08/06/2012 :  22:27:24  Show Profile
Can soaked wood ever be completely & confidently dried out? It seems every time I read of someone making the attempt it ultimately ends up failing. The only recommended solution I've seen is removing the old core and replacing it with new wood or fiberglass. In this case Tom is following Catalina's recommendation of glassing it in.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Sloop Smitten
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1181 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2012 :  08:17:19  Show Profile
The ability to completely dry out the core is directly related to the success of eliminating the source of the moisture. If that can successfully be done then drying out the core should be possible. Tom has removed a portion of the floor over the core so if the source has been elimiated he should be able to dry it out and, if no rot is present, reseal it. If it is not rotted why remove it? Could he not add a layes of fiberglass/resin like Catalina recommends on top of the existing flooring?

Edited by - Sloop Smitten on 08/07/2012 08:19:53
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2012 :  08:44:08  Show Profile
After cutting the fiberglass covering and exposing the plywood, I would replace the coring in accordance with Catalina's recommendations, even if the existing plywood looks like it can be dried out. After cutting out the fiberglass covering, the biggest part of the job is to replace the fiberglass covering. Removing the old plywood would add some time and work to the job, but by replacing the old plywood, which you know got wet, you can at least be confident that, when the job is done, it should last for a long time. If you dry out and re-use the old plywood, you can never be sure how much it was weakened, and that particular part of the boat is structural, and must be very strong. Now that you have gone this far, I'd do it all the way. Just my opinion, having never had to actually do the job.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2012 :  09:08:09  Show Profile
Based on Catalina's recommendation for repairing a C27, it appears the procedure is not to replace the coring, but rather to eliminate it.

[url="http://www.blumhorst.com/catalina27/images/keel_factory_drawings/keel_stub_wood_procedure_from_catalina.gif"]C27 Drawing[/url]

Edited by - dlucier on 08/07/2012 09:08:41
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2012 :  09:38:57  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dlucier</i>
<br />Based on Catalina's recommendation for repairing a C27, it appears the procedure is not to replace the coring, but rather to eliminate it.

[url="http://www.blumhorst.com/catalina27/images/keel_factory_drawings/keel_stub_wood_procedure_from_catalina.gif"]C27 Drawing[/url]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"> That makes sense. If you eliminate the wood completely, you'll never have to worry about deterioration of the wood again.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Sloop Smitten
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1181 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2012 :  14:30:27  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">After cutting out the fiberglass covering, the biggest part of the job is to replace the fiberglass covering<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Based on Tom's comments the biggest part of the job is removing the wood core.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

treeder65
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
50 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2012 :  18:40:41  Show Profile  Visit treeder65's Homepage
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Although the dehumidifier was working, it was still pretty much waterlogged and I didn't want to wait to completely dry out or to seal up a wet one and have it bleed through the new paint. I did talk to Kent at Catalina and he verified that it calls for full removal and then adding the alternating 6 layers of roving and fiberglass. Unfortunately the core was solid 2" hardwood. The hole saws loosened it up a bit, then took a 1/4" bit all around each keel bolt, then used a sawzall to slice down the middle. All in all, not too bad; just very hot and lots of skinned knuckles. I can say that somebody will at least end up with a nice boat that has a solid bilge and keel securely fastened. Fiberglass tomorrow, then coating the bilge with Interlux 3000 epoxy paint, then the bottom coated with Interlux 2000 and VC-17. I'll take plenty of photos.

After seeing Jeffriday's "V-berth Bliss" mods, maybe I can fit all six of us in there and won't sell after all! I will truly miss all at this site though.

Edited by - treeder65 on 08/07/2012 18:47:39
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5234 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2012 :  19:54:14  Show Profile
Tom, another dumb question. Why didn't you start straightaway with power tools?
I read your 08/04 post where you started with hammer and chisel and now you've moved up to power drills, hole saws and a saws-all. I love using hand tools to finesse and shape beautiful wooden objects, but firmly believe in power tools when brute force is needed.
Makes me wonder when/whether I will eventually end up doing the same?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

treeder65
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
50 Posts

Response Posted - 08/08/2012 :  05:17:16  Show Profile  Visit treeder65's Homepage
I'm a slow learner. My 8/4 post was a bit premature.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page