Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Teasers from Tampa Bay
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
181 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/14/2012 :  13:58:34  Show Profile
http://vimeo.com/user14685682/sailingtampabay
http://vimeo.com/user14685682/stbat

This is a 40 and 30 second clip from last weekend. Anna Maria Island is behind the marker and Egmont Key is behind the boat. We covered 75 miles sailing and motoring over 3 days.

Edited by - 528 on 11/15/2012 11:04:32

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 11/14/2012 :  14:55:32  Show Profile
Great sailing weather this time of year. Saturday we crossed the bay to hang out at the St Petersburg Rib-Fest for awhile. Only downside was, had to motor into headwinds on the way back.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 11/14/2012 :  16:40:00  Show Profile
Your bimini looks perfect for the boat. Custom or off the shelf? Do you recall the dimensions? Do you have any photos that might show the bimini and the boom? I'm 5'4" would I have headroom?

Edited by - John Russell on 11/14/2012 16:41:09
Go to Top of Page

Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
181 Posts

Response Posted - 11/15/2012 :  06:12:43  Show Profile
John, You would have headroom, I'm 6-3 and can stand angled on the stern rail. I scavanged it off a previous boat I had and put it in the garage. This past June the sunbrella bimini I bought for the 250 was shredded by a tropical storm.(it's now a bird crap cover on the front of the boat) It was the only thing I didn't unmount from the boat. Anyway, I tried this one and it fit perfectly to the original mounts. I will get rough dimensions if you want and post some pics.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 11/15/2012 :  06:22:04  Show Profile
Thanks, looking forward to seeing the pics. I assume the backstays go through it????

Edited by - John Russell on 11/15/2012 06:22:46
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 11/15/2012 :  06:54:29  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by 528</i>
<br />John, You would have headroom, I'm 6-3 and can stand angled on the stern rail...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I'm confused by this. Unless you've raised your boom significantly, I don't see how you can have a bimini that's under the boom and still has 6-3 headroom. When you "stand angled" is your head still under the bimini, or are you poking your head up behind the bimini (which obviously means your head is not in shade)?

How about sitting in the catbird seats? It looks like the bimini might be a little low for that, unless your head is behind the bimini out of the shade.

FWIW, I reconfigured my bimini for the boom to go UNDER it. Since the boom almost a foot longer than the foot of the sail, the boom is able to pass under it while the sail and topping lift pass in front of it. This gives ample headroom to stand on the cockpit floor and/or sit in the catbird seats in the shade. But my bimini does not go as far forward as OP's. This pic shows the bimini, but in "docking mode" we have the topping lift raised and boom secured to the side. [EDIT: This picture is very misleading. The angle of the shot makes the boom look much shorter than it actually is.]

<center></center>

Edited by - TakeFive on 11/15/2012 09:00:56
Go to Top of Page

Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
181 Posts

Response Posted - 11/15/2012 :  07:13:25  Show Profile

John, the frame is 63" from the sole of the cockpit and 45" from the gunwale mount vertically. I am tweaking the support placement and strap lengths. As it sits in the pic it has slack in the canvas, but that is adjusted out by tensioning the straps when sailing. The boom just clears when centered and has ample room when sheeted out. I have the boomkicker so no obstruction from a topping lift as the bimini extends over a foot forward of the boom. Since this is an unintended backup bimini, it's subject to my tweaking and tinkering. This is the boat that started the famous thread on single backstays! My previous bimini was angled down in the front and I did have standing room. The clearance on this one is probably 4-5 inches less. That's the angled stance part.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Sailor Vic
1st Mate

Members Avatar

56 Posts

Response Posted - 11/15/2012 :  08:32:22  Show Profile  Visit Sailor Vic's Homepage
Rick,

Your "Take Five" bimini looks great and exactly what I've been dreaming about. I just hadn't figured out how to proceed from my dream to reality.

Is there a place that I could buy a frame and cover like that and have them make the slits for the backstay, etc? Did you have this locally totally custom made or ?

I am assuming you stow your bimini all the way back. Is that correct?

IF so, does the upper forward horizontal bar have 2 slits in it (which I can't comprehend) or something like that so that when you stow your bimini all the way back it passes those backstays? I just don't quite get that part.

I see the slits (I'm assuming they have zippers?) and am not exactly clear on how the bimini top/cover and backstays work as far as the forward bar. I believe the forward bar goes all the way back when you're not using the bimini?

Hope my questions make sense.

Thanks a lot,

Vic

Edited by - Sailor Vic on 11/15/2012 08:36:31
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 11/15/2012 :  18:14:05  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
We have ordered new canvas for JD. The bimini will be 2" less from back to front (stem to stern?) so that the boom will not interfere with the leading edge of the bimini.

It will be mounted on the cat bird seats, have an underslung mesh bag, shade mesh on the back end.

As the backstay passes between the two aft parts of the bimini frame, we're not having a zip slot for the backstay, but a canvas tube. If we need to take down the bimini canvas, then we will probably have to take down the bimiin frame, so the zip is of no value. (unless you guys know better)

We're also having a new top hat made. It will have a longer reach and be slightly wider than the original that I made out of sunbrella.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 11/15/2012 :  19:27:51  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sailor Vic</i>
<br />Rick,

Your "Take Five" bimini looks great and exactly what I've been dreaming about. I just hadn't figured out how to proceed from my dream to reality.

Is there a place that I could buy a frame and cover like that and have them make the slits for the backstay, etc? Did you have this locally totally custom made or ?

I am assuming you stow your bimini all the way back. Is that correct?

IF so, does the upper forward horizontal bar have 2 slits in it (which I can't comprehend) or something like that so that when you stow your bimini all the way back it passes those backstays? I just don't quite get that part.

I see the slits (I'm assuming they have zippers?) and am not exactly clear on how the bimini top/cover and backstays work as far as the forward bar. I believe the forward bar goes all the way back when you're not using the bimini?

Hope my questions make sense.

Thanks a lot,

Vic
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I store the bimini by bunching it around the backstays. There's a cover that goes over it to hold it there.

I did not buy the bimini - it came with the boat. But it was purchased from [url="http://www.thecanvasstore.com/"]The Canvas Store[/url] in Huntington, NY. I met the owner at a recent boat show and talked to him about making some modifications to to my top. He said that they make them up to specifications that they get from Catalina (no need to custom measure), and have sold a lot of them over the years. So I suggest that you call him and discuss your model of boat and whether you have split backstay or single. I suspect he can make it and ship it to you. As you can see, the metalwork is very nice, because it does not require any penetrations through the fiberglass.

I suspect that my technique of passing the boom under the top is different from the standard adjustment. But it works for me.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page