Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Gadgets, Add-On's, Must-Have's, Wish List items
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mainsheet Editor
Brian Gleissner

Member Avatar

USA
31 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/30/2012 :  21:29:40  Show Profile
Dear Members -

Now that the gift-giving season has just passed, I'm thinking about putting together an article for the Summer issue of Mainsheet that features useful add-on's that the readers have installed (anything that was not originally available on your sailboat when new). If anyone is interested in contributing, please reply to this post or e-mail me at mainsheet@catalina-capri-25s.org

Thanks,

Brian Gleissner

Association Mainsheet Editor (mainsheet at catalina-capri-25s.org)

Edited by - on

sailboat
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
149 Posts

Response Posted - 12/31/2012 :  10:51:35  Show Profile
1. Tiller clutch by Wavefrontmarine.com. Super easy to install and a quality piece of gear.

2. Single burner stainless steel butane stove by Seaward.

3. Small drawer under dinette table.

4. Force 10 bulkhead mounted heater.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5234 Posts

Response Posted - 01/01/2013 :  17:56:24  Show Profile
I've added a few niceties:
1. Replaced the incandescent fixtures with two Dr LED Dome Lights: one under the port side by the dinette, and the other under the starboard side by the settee mounted to the deck-to-hull areas inside the cabin. See [URL="http://doctorled.com/p24.htm"]Dome Lights[/URL]

2. Sony Marine Stereo FM Radio with a line-in and USB input for MP3 music loaded on a memory stick. I use WMA from my laptop on the memory stick. The radio comes with an IR remote control and drives two pairs of stereo speakers (front and back, left and right). The front speakers are permanently mounted inside the cabin, and the rears can be plugged into a 4 wire connector and placed inside the cockpit. My radio is similar to [URL="http://www.amazon.com/Sony-CDXM30-Marine-Receiver-Player/dp/B0016010CA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1357085548&sr=8-2&keywords=sony+marine+stereo"]Sony CDMX-30[/URL]

3. Hawkeye depth finder from Norcross Marine. See this [URL="http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_11151_10001_434229_-1?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=434229&cid=sc_googlepla&gclid=CMr8qPe4yLQCFUKd4AoddH0AIg"]catalog entry[/URL]. With a 2" diameter, I was able to replace the guts of my original depth meter with this unit. Using the original housing saved me from having to fill the hole in the cockpit bulkhead and allowed me to seal the Hawkeye from the weather.
The transducer is adequate (not ideal) in a through-hull mounting using "wax ring" mounting technique. Soft bottoms read "---" on the display which is not too bad. Thankfully, a hard bottom provides a very accurate reading.

I've got some photos here someplace....

Edited by - Voyager on 01/01/2013 18:02:11
Go to Top of Page

Mainsheet Editor
Brian Gleissner

Members Avatar

USA
31 Posts

Response Posted - 01/01/2013 :  20:34:06  Show Profile
Great input, keep it coming.

Thanks,

Brian Gleissner

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 01/03/2013 :  20:04:42  Show Profile
Consider a bow canon

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Mainsheet Editor
Brian Gleissner

Members Avatar

USA
31 Posts

Response Posted - 01/06/2013 :  20:50:33  Show Profile
Seth, are things that bad in the waters you sail in? Where do you hail from?

Brian Gleissner

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 01/07/2013 :  15:35:56  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mainsheet Editor</i>
<br />Seth, are things that bad in the waters you sail in? Where do you hail from?

Brian Gleaner
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Hi Brian, it's not that exciting. I sail on Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia. So a small ceremonial type canon would be fun.

Maybe if I ever fulfill the dream of sailing my little C25 swinger around the Bahamas and Caribbean, I'd take a little firepower with me. I am not well-versed in gun laws in any Caribbean country's territorial waters, but I think I would like to have a little firepower on board to discourage opportunists if cruising around desolate waters far from the eyes of men and the arm of the law since I'm not likely to outrun anything. I expect the firepower would never be needed since we don't hear of problems in those waters (and if we did, I'd want to sail somewhere else), but it would be better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Mainsheet Editor
Brian Gleissner

Members Avatar

USA
31 Posts

Response Posted - 01/07/2013 :  21:02:02  Show Profile
Point taken and I agree. The most I ever encounter is the Hell's Angels on PWC's and the occasional Bass fishermen that need to get to their "spot" at 60 MPH

Brian Gleissner

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 01/08/2013 :  18:55:17  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sethp001</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mainsheet Editor</i>
<br />Seth, are things that bad in the waters you sail in? Where do you hail from?

Brian Gleaner

Hi Brian, it's not that exciting. I sail on Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia. So a small ceremonial type canon would be fun.

Maybe if I ever fulfill the dream of sailing my little C25 swinger around the Bahamas and Caribbean, I'd take a little firepower with me. I am not well-versed in gun laws in any Caribbean country's territorial waters, but I think I would like to have a little firepower on board to discourage opportunists if cruising around desolate waters far from the eyes of men and the arm of the law since I'm not likely to outrun anything. I expect the firepower would never be needed since we don't hear of problems in those waters (and if we did, I'd want to sail somewhere else), but it would be better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
It's a lot quicker and easier using some firepower to get dinner than a using a fishing pole.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

lcharlot
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Antigua and Barbuda
1301 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2013 :  21:25:03  Show Profile
The most useful add-ons and conversions to Quiet Time:
1. Garmin 165 GPS/Sounder. This gadget saved me once from running the boat onto a wash rock in the San Juans, at 5 knots in the middle of the night. The GPS and VHF radio are on a swing mount, so I can use them from inside the cabin or the cockpit.
2. Simrad model 22 tiller pilot. I am usually single-handed, and the tiller pilot is essential equipment for me.
3. Self-tailing winches. Quiet Time came to me with with the basic winches. I replaced these with self-tailers over the winter of 2003-2004 and they have been worth every penny spent.
4. Converted the standard "traditional" clip-on dinette table to a folding table, hinged at the bottom of a 4" deep x 24" wide cabinet that is mounted to the bulkhead. This cabinet holds all the dishes, cups, and some other small items, and the hinged folding table is SO much easier to handle than that heavy particle board/melamine table that came with the boat.
5. Replaced exterior teak handrails with StarBoard. Catalina Direct item Z-2718. Less maintenance than teak and stronger. I don't worry about cracking them if I should step down hard on one.
6. Lazyjacks. It's nice to be able to drop the main and not have it in a pile all over the deck.
7. CDI #4 Flex furler. Another must-have for single-handed cruising. Also lets me run a 135 genny full-time, knowing I can just partially furl it down to 90% if the wind kicks up.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3369 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2013 :  04:53:26  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
New switch panel
Fans
Storage compartment under the V Berth
Removable Davis telltails From the stays
New dock lines...or replacing the ratty decrepit ones on adjacent boat
EVA-Dry E-500 Renewable Wireless Mini Dehumidifier ($23.99 Amazon)Hang fenders off cables on dock, One less thing to deal with undocking
Tilley hat

Edited by - OLarryR on 02/06/2013 04:59:19
Go to Top of Page

sailboat
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
149 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2013 :  07:47:30  Show Profile
1. Dodger-invaluable in the Pacific Northwest
2. Dual 12 volt power receptacles adjacent to the switch panel

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page