Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Anchor locker grate or dri-dek panels?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/22/2013 :  06:56:46  Show Profile
I replaced my anchor chain the other day because it had become rusty and nasty, especially at the rode to chain splice. So I've spliced a new chain to the rode, but wondered, before I put it back in the locker, if some type of grating or something like dri-dek would help to keep the rode and chain dry.

Has anyone added this? Did it work or just collect dirt under it?

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay

Edited by - on

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 01/22/2013 :  18:25:51  Show Profile
In theory, the chain will sit on top of the rode, so it should dry out on its own without the need for a barrier...

sten
DPO "Zephyr" '82 C25 SR FK #3220
SV "Lysistrata" '73 C&C39 - Dunedin FL

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

BCG-Woodbury
Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
396 Posts

Response Posted - 01/22/2013 :  20:22:23  Show Profile
I replaced mine with a length of SS chain last year. I was getting water in around the bow eye so I made a chimney around the threaded rod that connects it to the bracket in the V-berth. I sealed the flange with a soft rubber gasket and made the chimney from a Furnco rubber plumbing fitting. The PO had only calked the threaded rod around the floor of the locker, that didn't last long and rotted the wooden block that the tow U-bolt goes through. I rebuilt the block with a piece of Trex spindle material. I was thinking about glassing in a piece of Starboard but the Dri-dek sound like a good solution as I was planning to get some for the cockpit.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 01/23/2013 :  05:48:03  Show Profile
I've used Dr-dek in the anchor locker for yrs both in an attempt to protect the gelcoat in the locker and let the rode dry. The Dri-dek in the bottom of the locker is cut to fit but not "glued" down so it's easy to remove and hose out the mud that does accumulate. Two smaller pieces were cut and attached near top of locker on which the stocks (Danforth anchor) rest.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 01/23/2013 :  07:50:39  Show Profile
I'm going to pick up some Dri-Dek and cut it to fit. One of the things I realized, is that I am failing to rinse out the anchor locker with fresh water after anchoring out in the salt water. So adding this routine to closing up the boat should help in the long run.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2013 :  08:42:42  Show Profile
Davy... really... you are worried about rust on the chain.

I was just looking at mine and laughing at myself cause I was thinking the same thing ( oh maybe I should get a vinyl covered chain and such )... It's just a chain..

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2013 :  09:06:49  Show Profile
The chain was more than just rusty and ugly. Every time I would deploy or retrieve the anchor, metal flakes and rust would litter the foredeck.

Here is the completed new chain, splice and Dri-Dek installed:

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2013 :  11:21:14  Show Profile
Sweet...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2013 :  13:14:50  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redeye</i>
<br />Sweet...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
yeah...just a little TOO sweet for me!

My rode is old brown line, the chain is gray, and the mud is a nice dark brown-black from my local anchorages.

I like the idea of the Dri-Dek to let the rode and chain dry out better. Making the mud stay where it falls off a few links of chain is a good idea. It should help to keep the anchor locker drain from plugging up.

Davy - Your's looks so pristine! I bet you never see any mud at all!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2013 :  13:31:35  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
What's an anchor locker? Sorry, us Capri 25 guys get shorted on the cruising niceties. Very nicely done though.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page