Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Hurry, Hurry, HURRY!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/01/2013 :  15:25:02  Show Profile
http://www.soundingsonline.com/dispatches/290781-video-bridge-bust

Looks to me like if the first boat wasn't faster, it would have happened to the second.

Lesson: Talk nicely to your bridge operator! (The operators here know Sarge so well <i>they</i> hail <i>me</i> when I come into view... "Sarge, Highway--you're on for 1:40." Or "Sarge, Rail--five minutes, after the next westbound." I dream of when they radio: "Westbound Acela, Mystic--I'll close for you after Sarge gets through." )

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 08/01/2013 15:25:49

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 08/01/2013 :  15:28:35  Show Profile
Forest's Mom was right. Stupid is as stupid does.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 08/01/2013 :  16:02:40  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Wow. I'd imagine that a lot of bridges can't be stopped no matter how hard the operator wants to. Trying to stop tons of bridge being helped down by gravity is difficult at best. Trying to race one is just...stupid.

I think you may be right Dave, the second boat certainly looked like it intended to shoot the gap as well until they saw what was happening with the first.

My dockmate's wife took the mast off of their Macgregor 26 a while back by running it right into the railroad bascule bridge while it was down. Not even sure how that could have happened, I'd be worried about going under it in a speedboat (it's only 7' clearance when it's down). He said she was distracted by their grandkids or something, but how do you miss a giant rusty thing that's sitting lower than you are directly in front of you?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 08/01/2013 :  16:26:37  Show Profile
And here I thought people with larger boats possessed above average intelligence.

Edited by - OJ on 08/01/2013 17:02:56
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 08/01/2013 :  17:24:11  Show Profile
The knucklehead has 6+ fenders hanging off his starboard side...just seeing that I'd assume he'sketchy and untrustworthy, the bridge just proves it......

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 08/01/2013 :  18:06:29  Show Profile
Yes...some bridges can be stopped and re-opened.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

CarbonSink62
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
208 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2013 :  06:50:11  Show Profile
According a post on SailNet, the bridge is in Norway and opens about 3 times a day. I'm not condoning a race between a boat and a closing bridge, but if that was the 1800 lift and the next one isn't until 0900 the next day you can see that the envelope might need to be pushed.

But not that hard.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pfduffy
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
317 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2013 :  08:58:40  Show Profile
It seemed obvious from the moment the boat came into the frame that there was no chance of making it through. I assume the perspective from the helm was different.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2013 :  20:33:02  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
On the other hand, the only duty of a bridge operator is to allow boats passage. Do your job Do your Job Do your Job! It seems apparent that these guys were rushing a closing bridge but looks can be deceiving. Would you rush a closing bridge with 35k to 50k worth of boat? They may have been following other boats not pictured and the tender may have been the idiot. I've been a party of several that were too busy doing God knows what to pay attention to the number of boats in line.

Edited by - DaveR on 08/02/2013 20:33:22
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2013 :  06:00:56  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
"It's 3:15, gotta close the bridge!"

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2013 :  08:14:58  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DaveR</i>
<br />On the other hand, the only duty of a bridge operator is to allow boats passage...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">...and <i>eventually</i> to let cars and trucks pass. I've heard operators hailing boats in the area, trying to get them to answer whether they intended to come through (while the bridge was open), and getting no response. If they don't close the bridge until there are no boats in sight, they might never be able to close it.

Even if the operator had stopped the bridge and started to reverse it, one of those yahoos probably would've hit it. I'm betting if this skipper had been on the radio, he'd still have a mast. He's <i>really</i> lucky nobody got badly hurt--it was close!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page