Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 out for the 1st time...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ronkmarsh
Deckhand

Member Avatar

Canada
20 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/20/2013 :  04:22:54  Show Profile
We made our first trip off the dock this past weekend. Didn't think I could fit that many butterflies into my stomach. Anyway..we didn't go far, just a quick 30 minutes with only the motor...then back safely. I never thought 25' could suddenly feel like 250 feet so quickly when trying to slip in between two other boats.

can't wait to hoist the sails in a couple of weeks.

Cheers,

Ron

(google map - Picton, Ontario Canada)

Ron Marshall

Edited by - on

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2013 :  05:59:27  Show Profile
Congratulations, Ron!!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2013 :  06:23:55  Show Profile
Congratulations!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pfduffy
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
317 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2013 :  06:34:56  Show Profile
Congratulations! I know exactly how you feel. Please know the following:
1) you are going to screw up (everyone on this forum has)
2) you are going to survive the screw ups
3) you are going to learn something from the screw-ups

The Catalina 25 is very forgiving of mistakes, so go out there, hoist those sails and have a blast!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

szymek
Navigator

Members Avatar

Canada
209 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2013 :  10:10:14  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pfduffy</i>
<br />Congratulations! I know exactly how you feel. Please know the following:
1) you are going to screw up (everyone on this forum has)
2) you are going to survive the screw ups
3) you are going to learn something from the screw-ups

The Catalina 25 is very forgiving of mistakes, so go out there, hoist those sails and have a blast!

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

so true!

I'd recommend to go out with someone with sailing experience first couple of times and see the drill and how she reacts. That's exactly what I did with my boat when I first bought it. Then i would go out with anyone that is willing to go sailing - extra set of hands to deal with screw ups. And by end of the season, I've been going out on my own. Starting from my second season I've been going out single handed probably 85% of the time.

I'm just down the stream from you - in Oakville.

So just have fun.... be smart.... and respect the water!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2013 :  16:08:45  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">can't wait to hoist the sails in a couple of weeks.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
You better hurry, The snow will be flying in Canada soon
And to add to that list I would say, Always act like you intended to do it!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ftworthsailor
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
279 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2013 :  16:19:41  Show Profile  Visit ftworthsailor's Homepage
Congratulations ! ! And welcome to the group!

Definitely take someone that is already familiar with the C-25 or similar boats, the first few times out. I was fortunate that I had a very experienced sailor on my first few outings....however the problem was, that with all that experience, nothing bad ever happened. It wasn't until I truly had been sailing for awhile, started sailing solo, and became more confident of my abilities, that, as they say, the screw ups started happening.... broken tiller, jammed halyard, ran aground, slipped on the deck trying to run to the bow, motor stopped working at a really bad time and the wind was pushing me towards the rocky shore ... YIKES ! ! !

All in all, I learned from each of these issues (experiences) and found that remaining calm and thinking about the resolution to these issues led to a clear and concise solution ...... which did not include the phrase, " ABANDON SHIP ! ! ! "

Anyway, have fun with your new sailboat and the many memorable adventures you are about to create.

R

Edited by - ftworthsailor on 08/20/2013 16:27:47
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2013 :  19:03:38  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Congratulations, and there's good advice above this post. You're going to screw up, fortunately people rarely get hurt, and only your ego is bruised (ask me about my first launch with SL some time). It's all a learning experience and hopefully makes a good story once the sting of embarrassment wears off. The best part is when you screw up with a peanut gallery watching, nothing gets the blood pumping to your face more than a crowd amused at your antics.

I've had any number of things go wrong, engine conking out, broken tiller, halyard going up the mast, having to be towed in, hitting another boat (that one still stings when I think about it) and probably the worst, my wife crushing her heel jumping off the boat onto the dock. You want to talk about not knowing what to do next...

Somehow though, you survive, and carry on, having learned a bit more about what not to do.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ronkmarsh
Deckhand

Members Avatar

Canada
20 Posts

Response Posted - 08/21/2013 :  03:51:45  Show Profile
thanks for all the support and advice. When I go out to hoist the sails...it is with the boat's previous owner (who also is a buddy of mine and has the kind of sailing experience I could only wish to have). I am his "grasshopper" (for those who remember the TV show "Kung Fu") and he wants my wife and I to enjoy this adventure and be safe at the same time.

As for snow soon in Canada..gosh..I hope not. We haul out during our Thanksgiving weekend in October..and I'm taking a weeks holiday in September on the boat...so..with a little luck and more global warming...should still be lots of sailing left here in the great white north.

thanks again and cheers !!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ftworthsailor
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
279 Posts

Response Posted - 08/21/2013 :  07:07:56  Show Profile  Visit ftworthsailor's Homepage
Create an online album with Google or Photobucket or some online system and SHARE pictures of your adventures. We all would love to sail (in spirit) with you.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 08/21/2013 :  14:00:56  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ftworthsailor</i>
<br />Create an online album with Google or Photobucket or some online system and SHARE pictures of your adventures. We all would love to sail (in spirit) with you.

Ron, you could start with that pic of your gorgeous first mate wearing nothing but a hat!

Paul

Edited by - britinusa on 08/21/2013 14:02:02
Go to Top of Page

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2013 :  14:05:28  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
Ron, if I have room for another crew next week, you can come with us. Otherwise, If I'm available on a day when you are trying to get out with the boat, I don't mind lending a hand if you want someone extra aboard.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

RAG Sailor
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
144 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2013 :  13:58:48  Show Profile
Hey Ron, I took possession of my Catalina 25 this past Friday the 13th. Like you, all I wanted to do was just motor around a bit. We had to move the boat out of its slip (the previous owner's) to our slip. Wow, did it feel like it was 250 feet all right!

Thank you all for great advice in the responses above. It's been 30+ years since we owned our O'day day sailor so I really feel like I am starting out new. I will take all of your advice to heart.

Ron (yes, I am Ron also) in Memphis, TN

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

BCG-Woodbury
Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
396 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2013 :  17:55:19  Show Profile
Ron -

I know exactly how you feel. I got my C25 last year and the only experience I had prior was a Sunfish and a friend's Hobie as a kid. Fortunately I'm on a lake where the wind is never too heavy. Last year my wife (with 0 experience) went out one Sunday morning. All was going well until the wind picked up to 10-15 Knots. Knot So Fast started heeling about 15 degress and I couldn't figure out why. I sailed the best I could to keep my wife from freaking out. I remained calm and gave her some tasks to keep her busy and occupied. After about 10 minutes of doing my best to keep the boat from heeling too much I realized that the pigtail off the backstay was still attached. That is when I realized what the boom topping lift setup was for. Once I saw that I headed into the wind, fired up the motor, pulled in the mainsheet and disconnected the pigtail. The rest of the sail when very smoothly. Since then I connected the Boom Topping Lift and have been good to go. These are the things you learn as you go. I got her a shirt that says "You're not leanin' til somebody is screamin'", we still joke about it. BTW, she won't sail with me alone anymore. LOL

Regards,

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2013 :  19:04:07  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RAG Sailor</i>
<br />...It's been 30+ years since we owned our O'day day sailor so I really feel like I am starting out new...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">We went from an O'Day Daysailer, too, although in one season. All of the sailing principles are the same, and the C-25 is more forgiving--except when you're approaching a dock.

<i>"Never approach a dock any faster than you're willing to hit it."</i>

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

RAG Sailor
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
144 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2013 :  21:01:01  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BCG-Woodbury</i>
<br />Ron -

I know exactly how you feel. I got my C25 last year and the only experience I had prior was a Sunfish and a friend's Hobie as a kid. Fortunately I'm on a lake where the wind is never too heavy. Last year my wife (with 0 experience) went out one Sunday morning. All was going well until the wind picked up to 10-15 Knots. Knot So Fast started heeling about 15 degress and I couldn't figure out why. I sailed the best I could to keep my wife from freaking out. I remained calm and gave her some tasks to keep her busy and occupied. After about 10 minutes of doing my best to keep the boat from heeling too much I realized that the pigtail off the backstay was still attached. That is when I realized what the boom topping lift setup was for. Once I saw that I headed into the wind, fired up the motor, pulled in the mainsheet and disconnected the pigtail. The rest of the sail when very smoothly. Since then I connected the Boom Topping Lift and have been good to go. These are the things you learn as you go. I got her a shirt that says "You're not leanin' til somebody is screamin'", we still joke about it. BTW, she won't sail with me alone anymore. LOL

Regards,

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

RAG Sailor
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
144 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2013 :  21:05:33  Show Profile
Brian,
Do explain what you did with the boom topping lift. When the mainsail is up the boom topping lift should be slack, right? Only when the sail is down does it have to be taut to maintain the boom in a proper position. Am I missing something here?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2013 :  06:03:36  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RAG Sailor</i>
[br...When the mainsail is up the boom topping lift should be slack, right? Only when the sail is down does it have to be taut to maintain the boom in a proper position. Am I missing something here?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Nope--you've got it. I strongly recommend never using the pigtail attached to the backstay. It's inevitable you'll forget to release it, and it's possible that will get you into trouble. Brian was fortunate that he recognized the problem and had room and time to turn up. Use the topping lift and snug the mainsheet to stabilize the boom. If (when) you forget to release the sheet before raising the main, you can always pop it loose--not true with the pigtail.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 09/20/2013 06:05:36
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2013 :  07:07:07  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stinkpotter</i>
<br />I strongly recommend never using the pigtail attached to the backstay. It's inevitable you'll forget to release it, and it's possible that will get you into trouble.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I'll strongly second Dave's opinion on the pigtail. It's just an accident waiting to happen and a lesson I had to learn anew more times than I care to admit before the light bulb went off. My pigtail is now only used when the boat is in the cradle safely on the hard.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2013 :  09:39:39  Show Profile
I employed a topping lift on both boats and use the pigtail only to keep the boom from swinging too far side to side. A good habit to develop if you do use the pigtail is to release it before unfastening the main sail cover. Do I remember to do that every time? Of course not...

Edited by - dmpilc on 09/20/2013 09:40:11
Go to Top of Page

RAG Sailor
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
144 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2013 :  20:47:46  Show Profile
Thanks y'all for the feed back. Sorry Ron if I crashed on your thread but it appears we can both learn some important items together.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2013 :  07:56:24  Show Profile
<br />Brian,
Do explain what you did with the boom topping lift. When the mainsail is up the boom topping lift should be slack, right? Only when the sail is down does it have to be taut to maintain the boom in a proper position. Am I missing something here?

Yes, you have to loosen it when the sail is up.
Remember to have your mainsheet off, the boom vang off, and the topping lift loosened when you raise the main. Otherwise the leech will tighten before the luff can and you will think your main is raised because of the tension on the halyard but it is not fully raised. The you sail around with a mainsail luff that looks like a big clam shell; scollops at the front and a big pocket in the middle. (The vang or mainsheet causes it.)

Edited by - pastmember on 09/21/2013 08:11:11
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2013 :  08:12:33  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pastmember</i>
<br />Yes, you have to loosen it when the sail is up...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">...unless you can find a length that holds the boom where you want it and goes just slightly slack when the sail is fully raised. I found a satisfactory setting, where the boom rested just over my head, on my standard rig. If you have a tall rig, you might want to adjust it since the boom is a foot lower with the sail up.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2013 :  08:17:59  Show Profile
ronkmarsh:

You have bought a fine boat that will serve you well as you gain comfort levels. I do not sail big water so in my experience my boats both had the ability to sail well up to 25 mph and cope with winds up to 35 mph, (as in make headway). Probably the biggest and scariest thing about a "big" boat is an accidental gybe... which can kill you. If you learn to sail by the wind you will always know where the wind is coming from and should rarely be in a situation where an accidental gybe can happen. Learn to love the Windex and you will sail safe.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2013 :  08:55:31  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stinkpotter</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pastmember</i>
<br />Yes, you have to loosen it when the sail is up...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">...unless you can find a length that holds the boom where you want it and goes just slightly slack when the sail is fully raised. I found a satisfactory setting, where the boom rested just over my head, on my standard rig. If you have a tall rig, you might want to adjust it since the boom is a foot lower with the sail up.

I also agree that finding the magic length for the topping lift works well. I also like to make topping lifts out of a small size dyneema line, then they blow out of the way of the sail (even if your sail has a large roach) and never get in the way. You can still use it as a sail shaping control in light air.

The boom on my Catalina 25 tall rig didn't move a foot when raising the sail. It just lived a foot lower than it would have on a standard rig.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

blanik
Navigator

Members Avatar

Canada
210 Posts

Response Posted - 09/22/2013 :  05:13:04  Show Profile
yes Ron, we've all been there, my best advice (i think the hardest part was to learn to motor into and out of my slip), there's no miracle trick, you just have to do it many times... what helped me was to slow down a lot (1.5 kt max) and put the engine in neutral some distance before turning into my slip... as the saying goes, "never go faster than you'd be willing to hit something at" that pretty much did it for me

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page