Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Someone Needs to Take a Boating Course!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/04/2013 :  15:04:41  Show Profile
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_eH229fMfM"]Uh O![/url]

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - on

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2013 :  16:12:27  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Wow. Do you think he will fess up?

Very cool owner!

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2013 :  18:10:46  Show Profile
Cop telling people to relax, everybody looked relaxed to me.

What was that recent thread here about loaning a boat?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2013 :  18:11:25  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by britinusa</i>
<br />Wow. Do you think he will fess up?

Very cool owner!

Paul
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Or naive!

Better boat owner than me. I'd be in jail!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2013 :  19:19:31  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by OJ</i>
<br />Cop telling people to relax, everybody looked relaxed to me...
Yeah, the tone of his voice was more like, "RELAX, DAMMIT!!"

I keep wondering why he was allowed to stay in the area. It was a potential crime scene, and he is the prime suspect. Isn't it standard investigative practice to keep the perp away from the crime scene?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2013 :  19:54:53  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TakeFive</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by OJ</i>

I keep wondering why he was allowed to stay in the area. It was a potential crime scene, and he is the prime suspect. Isn't it standard investigative practice to keep the perp away from the crime scene?
<font size="1">Yeah, the tone of his voice was more like, "RELAX, DAMMIT!!"</font id="size1">

That's when I would have gone to jail! I know what I would have responded but cannot publish it here.

<font size="1">I keep wondering why he was allowed to stay in the area. It was a potential crime scene, and he is the prime suspect. Isn't it standard investigative practice to keep the perp away from the crime scene?</font id="size1">

I agree!

They probably would have wanted to keep him away from me. For the life of me I cannot figure out what he was thinking! I guess he heard the siren and started chasing it!

Edited by - GaryB on 09/04/2013 19:55:17
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 09/05/2013 :  07:10:33  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TakeFive</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by OJ</i>

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3369 Posts

Response Posted - 09/06/2013 :  09:08:16  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
This is sort of in my neck of the woods.

I can't travel as far up as georgetown due to the low bridges. I can go as far as the railroad bridge/14th Street bridge which is just south of the tidal basin. But it is common for the DC Police to be speeding in and out of the Washington Channel to the Potomac rounding Hanes Point. Generally, they provide a wide berth to all boats when they dash about. We also have the CG zooming around as well. Then there the helicopter patrols. It is a busy area along with the sightseeing boats and recreational boaters.

I have always found the DC Police and CG courteous and never causing any hair raising speeding so close to other boats as the video obviously has caught. As others indicated, they will investigate and I would expect as was indicated, they will do the right thing. However, I am very surprised to see the maneuver as was caught by the video, so close to other boats. Definitely disturbing !

When I started sailing on the Potomac many years ago, I took the boating safety course that the DC Police offer. At that time the course was free, taught on 4 nights followed by an exam and provided a boaters ID Certification Card all free. The course was taught by a number of DC Police Officers and all provided their background and how they eventually were able to become part of the harbor patrol. It was well taught and well received. Then you see somnething like this happen and it certainly is disturbing.

Besides the boat safety that was not demonstrated, the Potomac River is very misleading, as far as it's hazards, never-mind boating mishaps. The water is normally very hard to see thru and after a storm, it is muddy brown colored. I recall years ago when I believe it was the CG practicing rescue missions south of the Wilson Bridge (outside of DC Waters) and there was a guy that they were to practice rescueing and once he was in the water, they could nt locate him. he wound drowning. It's not that the current is so strong on the Potomac from the DC area and south but just that the water is so dark, once something goes below the surface, near impossible to see. North of the DC area, you eventually get into the river rapids up near the Great Falls area and there have been several kayakers that have drowned thru the years (one recently) getting caught in the water churn just south of rapids.

I was not aware of the above reporting collision except for this posting and not sure if I will hear any more regarding it but sure am curious how resolved.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9015 Posts

Response Posted - 09/06/2013 :  10:35:42  Show Profile
I suspect the cop driving the boat was covering his embarrassment. However, I was particularly surprised by how far he went <i>after</i> the impact--like "Oh $#!+... Whaddo I do now??"

I had a near miss similar to that, while sailing our 17' O'Day Daysailer years ago... A police boat was drifting as we sailed by, and suddenly hit full throttle with the officer looking the other way, and headed right at us. He spotted us (or maybe our sails) just in time to swerve and douse us with spray, not to mention giving us a good rocking with his wake. He was on the dock at our boat club when we returned to our slip, and was in his car and gone before we were on the dock. After some deliberation, I decided not to report the incident.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 09/06/2013 :  12:32:24  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stinkpotter</i>
<br />I suspect the cop driving the boat was covering his embarrassment. However, I was particularly surprised by how far he went <i>after</i> the impact--like "Oh $#!+... Whaddo I do now??"

I had a near miss similar to that, while sailing our 17' O'Day Daysailer years ago... A police boat was drifting as we sailed by, and suddenly hit full throttle with the officer looking the other way, and headed right at us. He spotted us (or maybe our sails) just in time to swerve and douse us with spray, not to mention giving us a good rocking with his wake. He was on the dock at our boat club when we returned to our slip, and was in his car and gone before we were on the dock. After some deliberation, I decided not to report the incident.
Would have been nice if he had "manned up" and come over to apologize for his actions.

rant...Oh yeah, this is 2013, the vast majority of people nowadays don't "man up", the just scurry off too afraid to face the situation.
ran't over... carry on.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9015 Posts

Response Posted - 09/06/2013 :  19:03:18  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by GaryB</i>
<br />rant...Oh yeah, this is 2013, the vast majority of people nowadays don't "man up", the just scurry off too afraid to face the situation.
ran't over... carry on.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">He didn't <i>completely</i> "surry off", although he was apparently conflicted... He apparently did sorta "man up", but in an assertive way, trying to establish "No harm, no foul." (What if somebody had been on that boat?)

In my similar situation--the cop gunned a boat in a dangerous way--the people (me included) on my boat could have been killed or injured if he'd broadsided us (but he didn't), and the cop <i>did</i> scurry off. Too bad there was no iPhone video (or no iPhones in those days)--although I may not have used it. In that case, it may have worked against me in the longer run.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 09/08/2013 :  22:45:05  Show Profile
Not excusing him, but he wasn't chasing a siren, he was the siren commencing an emergency response.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 09/09/2013 :  21:02:14  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave5041</i>
<br />Not excusing him, but he wasn't chasing a siren, he was the siren commencing an emergency response.
I know, I was being sarcastic saying he was chasing his own siren.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page