Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Electrical- Catalina 25
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MattsCatalina
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
3 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/25/2013 :  12:41:49  Show Profile
I am a new owner of a 1986 Catalina 25. I was cleaning the boat and mistakenly left the shore power connected. There was an electrical failure. When I reconnected the power, only the two receptacles on each side of the boat will work. None of the interior lights work, nor will the pumps work for the two sinks. I have checked the fuses on the power panel. None of them are broken. Does anyone have any idea have what else to check?

Edited by - MattsCatalina on 09/25/2013 12:43:57

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 09/25/2013 :  12:48:44  Show Profile
Welcome to the world of C25s.

The shore power will <i>only</i> power up the 110v outlets. The interior lights are 12v and run off the house battery(s). If you are lucky enough to have pumps on the water tank, it too, is most likely 12v. Most of us have manual hand pumps at the sinks.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ftworthsailor
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
279 Posts

Response Posted - 09/25/2013 :  12:59:22  Show Profile  Visit ftworthsailor's Homepage
I am not an expert on this, as my boat isn't wired and working yet, however you might have a power supply/converter installed that converts 110vac (shore power) to 12vdc that has failed. -- usually, when your boat is on shore power, you have to throw a switch in order for the boats 12vdc systems to run on shore power as opposed to run on boat batteries.

Otherwise when you are connected to shore power, two things are connected. One is the AC outlets and second, a device that provides constant charging of your batteries (AC to DC). Your lights, pumps, and other DC appliances (radios, etc) run off your batteries.

If your AC outlets are on but your DC lights are not, check for a fuse or a main switch that has been disabled... or worse, failed.

Hope this helps....

Edited by - ftworthsailor on 09/25/2013 13:17:04
Go to Top of Page

windseaker
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
24 Posts

Response Posted - 09/25/2013 :  13:20:39  Show Profile
Check you batteries. My C25 has a battery charger that plugs into one of the 110v power outlets on the boat and the other end into a 12v outlet (you must use a polarized plug) connected to the batteries. This keep the batteries topped at the dock when connected to shore power, to run lights, radio's and instruments ect. Underway or at anchor I use a solar panel that also plugs into the same 12v outlet. This system has been working great.

Edited by - windseaker on 09/25/2013 13:21:35
Go to Top of Page

Sloop Smitten
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1181 Posts

Response Posted - 09/25/2013 :  13:21:47  Show Profile
Do you have a battery disconnect switch? Make sure it is turned on. The AC only powers the AC outlets on the boat, unless there has been some unorthodox wiring done. AC/DC converters are common in RV's but I have never heard of one on a C25. If the battery switch is on I would check for an inline fuse close to your batteries that may have blown. You may have a battery charger wired directly to the AC power that caused a problem when water was introduced to the AC circuits but I would think the worst it would have done is blow the aforementioned fuse. Oh, and check the voltage on your batteries. It may be you were running on just juice from the charger and it may have failed.
Hey, welcome to the forum!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

MattsCatalina
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
3 Posts

Response Posted - 09/28/2013 :  05:24:50  Show Profile
Thank you for all of the information. I am going to the boat today. I am sure with all of the good advice that I will find the problem.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page