Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Swap Meet
 Free Catalina 27
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kennyge
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
76 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/16/2013 :  15:25:17  Show Profile
This looks great. If I had not just purchased my C-25 I would be interested.
http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/boa/4131930749.html

Kennyg
1985 C25 TR/FK
AHOY VEY! - Hull # 4952
Out of Bayside, Queens,NY

Edited by - on

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 10/17/2013 :  12:10:02  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kennyge</i>
<br />This looks great. If I had not just purchased my C-25 I would be interested.
http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/boa/4131930749.html
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

That's the advantage of unwanted wooden boats . . . they just rot, fall apart and become one with the earth again.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 10/17/2013 :  12:55:57  Show Profile
Something really smells with this one.

The vessel has no no name/hailing port (required for documented boats) or registration numbers (required for undocumented boats). He says he doesn't know what year it is. How much you want to bet that he has no clear title or other paperwork to convey ownership?

Almost all boats for sale are overpriced - including the ones that are priced at $0.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/17/2013 :  19:40:41  Show Profile
Yup--smells. There could be a name and hail-port on the transom, but in CT and I think also NY, any recreational boat must be registered, even if it's documented. It just doesn't have to wear the numbers. The C-27 may not even meet the minimum "tonnage" (measurements) for documentation--the C-25 does not. If it's documented, the documentation (kept on board) has the year--as does a registration. Regardless, to do either of these things, you need the HIN, which should be on the transom and includes the year.

Maybe he keeps it on a private pond. (Looks like a big pond!)

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 10/17/2013 19:47:37
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 10/17/2013 :  19:54:24  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stinkpotter</i>
<br />Yup--smells. There could be a name and hail-port on the transom, but in CT and I think also NY, any recreational boat must be registered, even if it's documented. It just doesn't have to wear the numbers. The C-27 may not even meet the minimum "tonnage" (measurements) for documentation--the C-25 does not. If it's documented, the documentation (kept on board) has the year--as does a registration. Regardless, to do either of these things, you need the HIN, which should be on the transom and includes the year.

Maybe he keeps it on a private pond.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I know that you're going to have a hard time believing this, but the C250WK model's measurements add up to exactly 5 net tons, and it is therefore eligible for USCG documentation. I know of one that was documented, and I briefly considered documenting mine. I called the documentation office and confirmed that my boat is, in fact, eligible. However, since I was never going offshore and I was nervous about getting pulled over by suspicious cops for having such a small boat with no numbers, I opted to title the boat instead of documenting it so I could display registration numbers.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 10/18/2013 :  07:17:12  Show Profile
When I post an image of my boat, I usually rub out the numbers. ( photoshop )
It's just nobody's business.

Not saying that is the case but just be aware.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/18/2013 :  09:51:19  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TakeFive</i>
<br />I know that you're going to have a hard time believing this, but the C250WK model's measurements add up to exactly 5 net tons, and it is therefore eligible for USCG documentation...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I guess I can believe it--I vaguely recall the C-25 came up just short, using the simple formula (about six measurements and a couple of factors). Your extra 6" beam might be the difference, so the C-27 easily qualifies. But Photoshop is also believable.

Around here, documentation gains you nothing--just additional paperwork and expense, since we also have to register with the state.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 10/18/2013 09:55:05
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/18/2013 :  11:05:42  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stinkpotter</i>
<br />[quote]Around here, documentation gains you nothing--just additional paperwork and expense, since we also have to register with the state.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe documentation constitutes proof of ownership. I believe a documented boat does not need to be <u>titled</u> under state law. It does, however, need to be <u>registered</u> under state law, and to display registration numbers. The difference between titling and registration of a boat is similar to the difference between titling and registration of an automobile.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 10/18/2013 :  19:25:49  Show Profile
My original concern about the Craigslist ad was that the owner stated that did not know the boat's model year. Given that this is easily deduced from the title, registration, documentation, or complete HIN, this appears to be a read flag that this boat is lacking them.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Steve Milby</i>
<br />...I believe a documented boat does not need to be <u>titled</u> under state law...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Actually, it is illegal to have both USCG documentation and state title on a boat. The Documentation Center told me that if a lender discovers that the boat has both title and documentation, they will refuse to issue a loan on the boat. Apparently when a boat has both it is impossible to guarantee that it is free of liens, and that is a deal killer for loans.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2013 :  17:02:30  Show Profile
I know of instances where people gave away boats to get out from under storage fees that were more than the boat was worth.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/24/2013 :  20:34:52  Show Profile
The posting has expired! I just went to the site. Seems a bit odd, no?

Edited by - Voyager on 10/24/2013 20:35:31
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/24/2013 :  20:52:44  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Steve Milby</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stinkpotter</i>
<br />[quote]Around here, documentation gains you nothing--just additional paperwork and expense, since we also have to register with the state.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe documentation constitutes proof of ownership. I believe a documented boat does not need to be <u>titled</u> under state law. It does, however, need to be <u>registered</u> under state law, <b>and to display registration numbers</b>.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">A number if not most states require a documented boat to be registered (for sales tax and other fees), but USCG regs say a documented boat <i>does not</i> show its state numbers. A state can require, however, a decal or other indicator that its registration is up to date.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

BCG-Woodbury
Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
396 Posts

Response Posted - 10/27/2013 :  12:03:33  Show Profile
I actually wrote the guy and asked him some details. Still sounded a little shady so I suggested he think about donating it. Even charity organizations require proof of ownership. Keep an eye out, you may see it on eBay soon.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page