Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Water Tank
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tradewind
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
531 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/16/2013 :  14:07:19  Show Profile
I've noticed the pickup from my water tank under the V-berth is in the forward bottom right corner. This seem to leave several unusable gallons as the tank is not level. I'm going to install an access plate to enable cleaning inside the tank and am considering moving the pickup to the aft right corner. Anyone done this?

1998 250WK #331
CILCIA
Steve
Pensacola, FL

Edited by - on

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2013 :  14:47:02  Show Profile
I'd take a look at whether or not the boat is lying level on her lines. Mine (and others) have 100 pounds or more of weight under the v-berth to get the boat to float flat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2013 :  15:13:40  Show Profile
Mine is the same way. I share your concern, but am much more reluctant to do surgery.

First, I don't think it is that far off level. As John mentioned, make sure your boat is level. I have 300 lb of ballast in the bow.

I just drained and winterized my tank, and I keep a couple of feet of 2x4 in the boat to jam under the port rear corner of the tank as it drains, to get as much water out as possible. I'll do the same in the spring after I do a chlorine shock, to drain as much of the chlorinated water out before I rinse with tap water.

I've previously debated building a permanent shim to leave under the tank all the time, which would keep the port side and/or rear edge higher than the tank's outlet port. But I decided it's too much trouble, and I just use the 2x4 whenever I want to drain the tank as fully as possible.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tradewind
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
531 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2013 :  17:14:26  Show Profile
I have about 130 pounds forward under the v-berth, as far as being on her lines I keep it where the companionway hatch drains rainwater aft and the forward hatch drains forward, anything else gives me leaks. She appears to be on her lines.

I may consider a shim under the tank to put more water forward and starboard.

I don't fill the tank often, don't use much water, actually I filled the tank when I bought the boat in January 2006 and once since. Last week I started getting air while pumping the galley faucet and checked the tank level, I noticed about 3" of water in the aft end of the tank and forward was about even with the pickup.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dubedoo
1st Mate

Members Avatar

68 Posts

Response Posted - 11/17/2013 :  11:02:32  Show Profile
I don't know if the configurations/set ups are the same for all model years.....but I cut the tie down straps going around the water tank, replaced them with ratcheting tie down straps and every so often (after loosening a few clamps and disconnecting the lines) take the tank out to drain/rinse at the end of the season. We don't drink the water from the tank....but I still like it to be fairly clean/fresh. I may be missing something here though. With the original or replacement tie downs in place and tight there would be no prying up a corner of the tank.

Steve
C250 wb #702

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 11/17/2013 :  11:19:21  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dubedoo</i>
<br />I don't know if the configurations/set ups are the same for all model years.....but I cut the tie down straps going around the water tank, replaced them with ratcheting tie down straps and every so often (after loosening a few clamps and disconnecting the lines) take the tank out to drain/rinse at the end of the season. We don't drink the water from the tank....but I still like it to be fairly clean/fresh. I may be missing something here though. With the original or replacement tie downs in place and tight there would be no prying up a corner of the tank.

Steve
C250 wb #702
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
My tie down straps are adjustable, and have plastic clips to disconnect. The only change I made was to reorient them so the disconnects are at the front of the tank.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tradewind
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
531 Posts

Response Posted - 11/17/2013 :  11:52:35  Show Profile
I'll check the tie down straps this week and see if they are adjustable. If I could get the tank out of the boat it would be much easier to install an access plate and clean the tank.
I don't drink the water but do use it in the galley and for flushing the marine head.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page