Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Swap Meet
 Flip this sailboat ?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BCG-Woodbury
Mainsheet Editor

Member Avatar

USA
396 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/14/2014 :  08:39:36  Show Profile
Anyone interested? I have a trailer, you provide the truck and half the money, we split the profits (Ha,ha, profits on a boat?)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-Catalina-C25-25-Used-Sailboat-for-Sale-Maryland-/360955441995?forcerrptr=true&hash=item540a9ef34b&item=360955441995&pt=Sailboats

Edited by - on

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2014 :  11:22:19  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
From reading the description, sounds like a lot of work to get it to where it could be sold. Looking at the pictures, it doesn't actually look so bad.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2014 :  13:25:04  Show Profile
With the price of gasoline, scarcity of C25 trailers and an economy that is still struggling - my guess is this will be purchased and sailed locally.

Edited by - OJ on 06/14/2014 13:26:37
Go to Top of Page

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2014 :  14:55:22  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
Have any of you looked to see how many Catalina 25s are for sale?
http://www.sailboatlistings.com/cgi-bin/saildata/db.cgi?db=default&uid=default&sb=33&so=descend&price-gt=1&manufacturer=Catalina&model=&length-gt=25&length-lt=25&year-lt=---&year-gt=---&price-lt=&type=---&material=---&hull=---&state=&view_records=+Show+Matching+Boats+

Popular boat for sure, but supply is much higher than demand right now.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2014 :  16:12:27  Show Profile
quote:

That's a lot of boats, but if you sort them by listing date, some of those listings are over six years old. And it seems with that web site, your boat is un-removable once sold......

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2014 :  17:04:27  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Davy J

quote:

That's a lot of boats, but if you sort them by listing date, some of those listings are over six years old. And it seems with that web site, your boat is un-removable once sold......

Mine is still there from over 4 years ago. But it looks much better - and worth much more money - now. Yeah, right, that's the ticket!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2014 :  14:26:24  Show Profile
Buy the boat, flip the outboard for maybe $1500 - $2000, and sink the boat if necessary.

BTW, I've made and seen fronting plates for outboard brackets, but never like that one! Wonder of it's hiding something...

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 06/15/2014 14:31:19
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2014 :  14:45:52  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

Buy the boat, flip the outboard for maybe $1500 - $2000, and sink the boat if necessary.

BTW, I've made and seen fronting plates for outboard brackets, but never like that one! Wonder of it's hiding something...

Exactly, maybe they backed into something on the port quarter. It'd be interesting to see what's inside the hull at that point.

It's possible the outboard might just have a gummed up carburetor which is an easy fix, but it could just as easily have a bent shaft or something, which depending on severity makes it possibly a write off.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2014 :  17:59:54  Show Profile
what is a fronting plate??? the brown area on the transom?

Edited by - OJ on 06/15/2014 18:03:09
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2014 :  20:03:58  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by OJ

what is a fronting plate??? the brown area on the transom?

It's what goes on the outside, opposed to a backing plate on the inside. It looks like this vessel has wooden one covering much or the port side of the transom--"...not that there's anything wrong with that." i

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2014 :  03:42:32  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
quote:

Um, no, there are HUNDREDS of catalina 25s for sale currently, across the nation. Sailboatlistings isn't responsible for removing the sale ads, the lister is! It'd be nice if sailboatlistings would remove stale ads for sure... but look at craigslist across the nation.

http://tinyurl.com/kyezxys

Edited by - shnool on 06/16/2014 03:43:56
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2014 :  18:54:55  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by shnool

quote:

Um, no, there are HUNDREDS of catalina 25s for sale currently, across the nation. Sailboatlistings isn't responsible for removing the sale ads, the lister is! It'd be nice if sailboatlistings would remove stale ads for sure... but look at craigslist across the nation.

http://tinyurl.com/kyezxys

Look at all those boats we could recruit!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

BCG-Woodbury
Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
396 Posts

Response Posted - 06/18/2014 :  18:29:32  Show Profile
It sold for $712, not to me though. Maybe the next one? We might have a new C25 member soon.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 06/19/2014 :  11:25:07  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by BCG-Woodbury

It sold for $712, not to me though. Maybe the next one? We might have a new C25 member soon.

Heck of a deal for someone who's handy.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1739 Posts

Response Posted - 06/28/2014 :  20:51:31  Show Profile
There are to many C25's in decent enough shape that if you prudently shop you may be able to buy, restore/upgrade and resell some of them and make some money in the process. At least in my neck of the woods the going rate for a pristine C25 appears to be @$5k with many on the market for @$1.5-$3.5k Some TLC, bottom paint, and aggressive posting and who knows! One thing is for sure: anyone would have to look far and wide for a better value in a used boat!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

BCG-Woodbury
Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
396 Posts

Response Posted - 06/29/2014 :  13:34:20  Show Profile
Peter -

The posting was just one of my pipedreams but I have considered it as a retirement hobby. Seeing that I already have a SK trailer. This type of boat is right up my alley. Trailers for C25's are hard to find. Mine sits empty all summer so I figured I could put it to good use for transporting. I just need to convince my better half that I need and F350 to tow/deliver the boats. That is probably harder than finding a boat. LOL

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page