Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Capri 25 Specific Forum
 Spreader Base Plate
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Capt Canuck
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
7 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/13/2014 :  10:01:03  Show Profile
G'Day!

I've owned the Capri 25 #324 for about a year now and finally pulled it out of the water to do some maintenance. Long overdue but just having too much fun with it!

The spreader base plates have been repaired previously but not well. They aren't even close to being symmetrical. Catalina Direct doesn't carry a replacement I can see.

Any suggestions on how to repair or replace them?

Thanks

Geoff
Tack Collector

Edited by - on

Capt Canuck
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
7 Posts

Response Posted - 07/19/2014 :  14:51:53  Show Profile
As a follow-up, Catalina Direct does not carry them. They had received a call from a club inquiring about ordering 25 sets but no further info other than call tech support.

Does anyone know of a company that can fab these?

Thanks

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

joearcht
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
236 Posts

Response Posted - 07/19/2014 :  16:23:53  Show Profile
I did a little research on this issue about 7 years ago when I acquired my Capri.
What I saw was two types of bases. I've got drawings of both types and I think they are on this website also. Look in the manuals and brochures section. One base uses a blade and is depicted on a drawing dated 1981. The other base is called a socket and is an undated drawing. The blade type looks easier to build and you can probably get enough info from the drawing and field measurements of the spreader to have it fabricated. My bases (blade type) were in good shape but my spreaders had "splits" in the aluminum at the base from overstressing I presume, so I replaced the spreaders. At that time there was a source for the spreader sections. I ordered a section of the aluminum and cut it to length per the drawing. Hope that helps, let us know if you find out any other useful information.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Capt Canuck
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
7 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2014 :  06:13:13  Show Profile
Thanks for the tip, that is exactly what I'm looking for!

Our base plate is similar to the design, I think a previous owner had them made ... or did it themselves. The bases are fine but the blades are not symmetrical. I will look for a good welding shop that can re-attach the blades at the correct angle.

Thanks again!

Geoff
1982 Capri 25

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

usa 63
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
42 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2014 :  06:23:18  Show Profile
http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/SparParts/Spreaders.html has a lot of spreader parts and can make something if you don't see what you need. They have many different styles, just just have to go through the brands and see what will work best for your spreaders.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page