Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 1986 Evinrude 1.2HP outboard questions
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Member Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/24/2014 :  17:18:31  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
A friend of mine just gave me a tiny Evinrude, I've figured out it's a 1986, made in Belgium. Does anyone know anything about these guys? I bet it doesn't weigh much more than 20 lbs.

The gas has all evaporated from the tank leaving a horrible smelling sticky oil residue inside the tank. I have to assume the carb is completely gunked up with it as well. I wasn't even sure it'd turn over, but it cranks around and spins the prop (which looks like it's never been used, but I suspect it's been replaced).

I'm not super thrilled to have another 2-stroke, but hey, the price was right. Ideally I'd still like to get a Honda 2, but beggars can't be choosers.

I figure at a minimum, it's going to need a water pump rebuild and a carb rebuild, plus I need to get the oily mess out of the gas tank. A first look for a water pump rebuild kit was sort of stunning, they want $50 for it! I haven't looked up a carb rebuild yet.

The tank says the mix is 100:1, but I've read other places referring specifically to this engine to ignore that & run it at 50:1. Any thoughts there?

Edited by - on

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2014 :  18:48:24  Show Profile
Buy several cans of Carburetor cleaner and use a medium sized SS mixing bowl to clean the parts in... might as well start with cleaning. Evinrude is known to have tried 100: 1 and recalled those instructions and gone back to 50:1... on an old engine more oil is better anyway.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2014 :  19:27:25  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Thanks Frank. I've got a gallon can of carburetor cleaner with a dip basket in it, figured I'd start with that for the carb. I think I've figured out how to get the cowling off so I can get to all the little bits & pieces to start removing them for cleaning / replacing.

I probably won't be able to get to it for a couple of weeks, we've got a bunch of people coming over for a Merdeka day party next weekend (Malaysian Independence Day), and we'll both be pretty busy getting prepped for that.

I think the nasty smelling oil residue might have been from someone fogging the system before storage. The person I got it from has never used it, and her father gave it to her years ago for a small sailboat he built for her. The oil reminds of me of the castor oil medicine your grandmother might have given you (I have a vague, but very unpleasant memory of this back in the '60's). I think that's what the smell is. Very sharp, can't get rid of it smell.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 08/25/2014 :  20:29:28  Show Profile
Probably just the residue from the volatiles evaporating. Some people did use castor oil to reduce smoking

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2014 :  16:47:49  Show Profile
Don't leave aluminum parts too long or they may be gone. That stuff used to eat aluminum. They may have changed the formula by now.

Edited by - GaryB on 08/26/2014 16:56:04
Go to Top of Page

Arlington
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
196 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2014 :  20:30:44  Show Profile
David, just a heads up. You can find Evinrude Shop Manuals on line, at E bay & elsewhere. Evinrude has a lot of info at their website but generally only going back 10 years to 2004. After that they refer you to the Ken Cook Company Website. I ordered a complete original Evinrude Shop Manual for a 1995 Evinrude Outboard on E bay and got an approximately 250 page manual, with detailed, helpful info for 40 bucks.

I then thought that it would be handy to get an owners manual from KenCook.com. What I actually received from Ken Cook Co. was a 39 page pamphlet (actually 78 pages, but 39 pages were in French) for $52.06, including $9.95 Shipping. This was a colossal waste of money. I don't understand why Evinrude/Johnson would farm out their product information to a 3rd party to sell it to their customers at such an exorbitant price/profit?
Doug

Edited by - Arlington on 08/28/2014 08:59:53
Go to Top of Page

delliottg

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2014 :  21:08:37  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Doug,
Thanks for the head's up, I went & looked at their site and was surprised they wanted so much for a manual.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 08/28/2014 :  17:21:24  Show Profile
Call these guys if you need parts for OMC, Mercury, Suzuki, or Yamaha. They have parts for some motors back to the 50's I believe.

They've been a fixture in Houston since 1958. Their website is full of a ton of useful information.

http://outboard-parts.com/

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Arlington
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
196 Posts

Response Posted - 08/28/2014 :  20:23:35  Show Profile
Gary thanks for the referral. Looks like a good resource, & good folks. Just read the article, "TWO STROKE VS. FOUR STROKE OUTBOARDS" and "Our Story" under "About us" and you can get a pretty good feel for the company.
Thanks again (I have no connection or interest in this firm)
Doug

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page