Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Registered Capacity
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kper
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/30/2014 :  07:01:11  Show Profile
Being new to boating as we are, I was offered a free safety inspection from the Army Corps which I gladly accepted. We did well and would have passed had we been "pulled over" on the lake. One thing that he asked was if I had my capacity decal affixed on the starboard side near the stern. I had heard of this but had forgotten about the requirement so I took a look to which I discovered I didn't have one. He instructed me to take a look at the data plate which would tell me the boat capacity and I told him it didn't have one, that is when I grabbed the registration and discovered it had a capacity of 5. That caught me a little off guard since we can easily sail with 6 since the kids like to stay below and play games, anyways. It also seemed a bit odd to me that the C27 slipped next to us has a capacity sticker of 15. Does anyone here have a capacity other than 5?

Since I have no data plate stating capacity from the manufacture who determined the capacity of my boat? I know many boats here are registered Owner's Responsibility (OR)... how is that done? Can anyone give some advice on how I can at least change the registered capacity to OR?

Edited by - on

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/30/2014 :  13:05:44  Show Profile
As of now Federal reg only require a capacity plate on boats under 20ft so I don't know if that guy knows the rules unless you have some local law over riding the Fed. This reg. might be changing soon due to a real Popeye on LI that put 27 people on his 34ft boat, The boat capsized and killed some kids that were trapped in the cabin. He got away with it by claiming there wasn't any capacity plate telling him that he couldn't put 27 people on the boat.http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Boating-Accident-Capsize-Yacht-Oyster-Bay-Death-Children-Cause-Overcrowding-214119631.html
quote:
Boat builders must comply with Federal law by putting a Capacity Plate in sight of the helm (steering area) on motorized monohull boats less than 20 feet in length.

who determined the capacity of my boat?
As of now you do using common sense.

Edited by - islander on 08/30/2014 13:12:15
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/30/2014 :  13:13:44  Show Profile
My understanding is that for any boat under 26' without a capacity plate, the Coast Guard's own formula is length x beam / 15, which gives 13 for a C-25. In any case, 5 is bogus, and they should have known that. It would be the capacity for a 15' Boston Whaler--not a 25' ballasted sailboat. It's a weight and stability issue--not seating comfort. Of course, 13 would be a bit cumbersome under sail..

I do recall a C-25 with something like 14 people aboard capsizing and sinking one night on a Colorado lake.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 08/30/2014 13:24:55
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/30/2014 :  13:35:12  Show Profile
A little more
quote:
Under the U.S. Coast Guard Federal Boat Safety Act of 1971, boats less than 20 feet powered with an inboard, outboard, or stern drive engine manufactured after November 1, 1972, must display a capacity plate defining the safe load limits. This plate must be mounted where you can see it when preparing to get underway. Sailboats, canoes, kayaks and inflatable boats are exempt from this standard states do have statutes prohibiting the carriage of people and gear in excess of the stated capacity, or the installation of a motor that exceeds the recommended horse power limit. Also, you may void your insurance policy if you are found to have exceeded the limits stated on your capacity plate.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 08/30/2014 :  16:12:09  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

As of now Federal reg only require a capacity plate on boats under 20ft so I don't know if that guy knows the rules unless you have some local law over riding the Fed.......
who determined the capacity of my boat?
As of now you do using common sense.

Apparently he doesn't. I can't believe I didn't see the IA capacity laws (which may be federal law) which states if no capacity plaque is in place then it's owner's responsibility.

quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

the Coast Guard's own formula is length x beam / 15, which gives 13 for a C-25. In any case, 5 is bogus, and they should have known that.

Absolutely right. And again, he should have known that.

Thanks everyone for getting me to dig back into the IA rule book and take a second look!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/30/2014 :  19:11:29  Show Profile
According to the USCG regs, my 16 ft AMF Sunbird centerboard daysailor can handle 4 passengers. I have had 4 people aboard and it's crowded. So for the inspector to tell you 5 is the max for a boat 9 feet longer and 3 ft wider with a 1700 pound keel is complete bull-oney.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2014 :  07:01:21  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:

I do recall a C-25 with something like 14 people aboard capsizing and sinking one night on a Colorado lake.

any details on this?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2014 :  09:33:01  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dasreboot

quote:

any details on this?
It was probably 12-15 years ago on Lake Dillon (Dillon Lake?), the big reservoir near Siverthorne and Breckenridge. I just tried to Google it and came up empty. But I remember the number 14, and wouldn't be surprised if a pop-top was involved. 14 people, especially if most are in the cockpit and on deck, could outweigh the ballast of a C-25 and raise its CG to a perilously high level, as they did in the capsize of that boat at Oyster Bay.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 09/02/2014 09:34:41
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2014 :  11:48:22  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
yeah at least 1400 pounds maybe more. I feel cramprd with three adults on board! I make someone sit on the rail or cabintop! cant imagine 14.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page