Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Mast Raising Strap
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

britinusa
Web Editor

Member Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/17/2014 :  10:48:55  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
The C250 Manual shows a Mast Raising Strap, but one was not included on JD (New in 2005). The dealer showed how to raise the mast using the spare Fore Halyard and we have always used that method.

Last week I needed to order, from Catalina Direct, replacement Shroud T Bar Keepers (the little black rubber bungs that keep the T-Bars secure in the mast when raising / lowering the mast.)

While browsing their site, I found they sold the Strap! So I added that to my order and both keepers and strap arrived last night.

This coming week will be the first time we have used the strap and I'll be able to comment on using it.

Do any of you folks ever use the strap while raising/lowering the mast? Any 'gotchas' or suggestions on best practice.

Paul

Edited by - on

zebra50
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
408 Posts

Response Posted - 10/17/2014 :  11:12:27  Show Profile
I have used it a number of times. Main things that I would recommend watching for would be to make sure that the strap used to raise mast stays straight & flat on the pulleys. Also when using the main halyard to support the strap make sure it is tied off securely so it wont slip.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 10/17/2014 :  17:16:22  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
quote:
stays straight & flat on the pulleys.

'on the pulleys' ?????

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 10/17/2014 :  17:26:52  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
I think he may be referring to the winch strap. When we use the mast strap, the winch ends up with about 10-12' of the line we use to connect from the winch strap to the mast strap (our winch strap isn't long enough to go the whole distance).

I made a custom line just for this with eye splices in either end. It's the only thing that line is ever used for, and it's the exact length necessary to get the job done.

There are a couple of things to watch for, both of which we've done.

Put the mast strap outside of the shrouds (easier to do than you might think when your shrouds are slack on the deck). If you do this, the strap becomes trapped at the lower shrouds (used our ladder tied to the mast to go get it, not very pleasant to do, but easier than lowering the mast & starting over).

Get the mast strap tangled on the deck light. This is easier to fix, but it's annoying. Learn to guide the strap over the deck light in both directions and your life will be simpler.

Edited by - delliottg on 10/17/2014 17:28:32
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 10/17/2014 :  17:50:18  Show Profile
I assume that you are referring to this, not the trailer winch strap:
<center></center>
CD's page has a few good tips. Here are some more:

<ul><li>Make sure the strap is neither too high nor too low. The former case, you'll stress the t-toggles under the spreaders, and the latter case, you'll have poor leverage.</li><li>Attach a messenger line to the strap so you can lower it easily if necessary. This is especially important when raising the mast.</li></ul>

FWIW, they were out of stock the first time I lowered my mast, so I made one out of line instead with appropriate knots. I've use that ever since.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tahoe Cruiser
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
72 Posts

Response Posted - 10/18/2014 :  21:39:41  Show Profile
As mentioned earlier be sure not to raise the strap to high. Getting it stuck under the lower shrouds sucks. I didn't notice mine was stuck and had the forestay tightened up before lowering the halyard and the strap did not come back down. Had to climb the mast like a fire pole to get it free. Inch below the t-bar section of shrouds is good. The messenger retrieval line is a good idea if you are not able to climb a mast without climbing gear.

Funny story. I was out motoring late fall no wind and decided to take a late season swim. I wanted my trunks to dry out fast as late fall in the mountains gets chilly quick. I hoisted my trunks up mast using the main halyard. I wasn't thinking clearly obviously. Swim trunks will not lower as they weigh almost nothing. I had to shimmy all the way to the top of the mast to get them back. I was sporting nothing more than the b-day attire and the wakes on the lake provided a fun rocking and rolling climb. Lesson learned the hard way. My wife got a good laugh in.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 10/19/2014 :  05:18:39  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Thanks Guys,

Yesterday I did a dummy run while the boat was still alongside the house.

Figured the possibility of the strap getting caught between the T-Bar toggles and the mast, so I adjusted the halyard (spare fore halyard) so that it was below the 'cinch' point.

The winch strap is not long enough to reach to the eyes in the strap when the mast is down. So I used a line with bowlines in each end and looped that through the strap eyes and attached the winch strap hook to the bowlines. Reading your comments above, I'll do that the other way around and secure the bitter ends of the line to the mast strap and connect the hook to the bight of the line. That way the ends of the strap will be open so that lowering it will not catch on the deck light.

After raising the mast, I removed the whole setup just as we would during a launch. This morning I'll lower the mast to get that down (pun intended )

As always, the Forum comes through with some great ideas.

Thanks.

Paul

Oh! and the upside is that the mast raises quite a bit easier!

Edited by - britinusa on 10/19/2014 05:19:43
Go to Top of Page

zebra50
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
408 Posts

Response Posted - 11/13/2014 :  15:34:06  Show Profile
my trailer has an extension that is raised above the bow winch. I use the winch strap up through the pulley at the top of the extension to attach to the straps. See pg 12 of the 250 manual here on the web site

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

gerardolau
1st Mate

Members Avatar

78 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2015 :  07:57:39  Show Profile
Hello again Paul, i have a c250 wb as well.. I just launched it a month ago in mexico. Obciously im an amateur sailor.. I would like to see a video on how you raise the mast. If you can record a video raising/lowering your mast when ever you have the time I will appreciate it a lot. I would like to see how its done and lear the right way to do it.. I have found many videos on youtube but not c250 specific..
Thanks alot!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

zebra50
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
408 Posts

Response Posted - 01/28/2015 :  11:46:28  Show Profile
If you look in the 250 owners manual on pg 10 & 11 it does show that you need a line from the mast strap to the hook on the trailer winch strap. In previous post regarding "pulleys" I was referring to the roller at the top of the trailer extension.

Jay
Papa's Boat II
250WB #370
Blog:http://zebra50-boilingpoint.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page