Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Mast Lights problem (soory, this should be Cat 25)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jaydon
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/23/2015 :  17:03:29  Show Profile
OK, all the lights in the cabin work. Fwd & aft nav lights work. However, none of the lights on the mast work. The deck fitting looked like hell. I want to test with a multimeter, but everything i've read makes me think I need a degree in Elect Eng.
I think I have to check continuity and resistance at the mast plug and voltage at the deck side of the plug.
For the voltage check- do I just put thy black lead in the ground 'hole' in the plug and then the red into each of the others in turn? (with power to the plug?)
Resistance only on the mast plug?
Is this ground to each or every pin to each pin to each pin?
What should this reading be for good? I think it should be "0"?
Just looking for a layman's answer on this. LOL
Jay

Jay
South County RI
Cat 25 SR/FK/Trad
Wind Dancer

Edited by - jaydon on 04/23/2015 17:24:37

Ape-X
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
662 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2015 :  19:05:49  Show Profile
ground (neg) should be a slightly larger diameter pin. Disconnect the plug, stick the black lead in the larger hole, and the red lead in any other. The meter should be on VDC, 20V range if you have that. Readings should match your battery at 12v. If you do find voltage in 2 of the 3, your good to go there, and would then check for resistance or continuity on the mast side. Neg on the larger pin. An open or OL is either the blank or burnt bulb.

s/v No Worries, O'Day 28
PO Moe'Uhane - C25 SR/FK #1746
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2015 :  05:52:31  Show Profile
This diagram shows the location for each function on the Catalina deck plug. http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/manbro/pictures/4-2-4.gif
quote:
For the voltage check- do I just put thy black lead in the ground 'hole' in the plug and then the red into each of the others in turn? (with power to the plug?)

Yes. If the coresponding switch is on you will get a reading of around 12V or if using a simple test light the light will light up. There is only one ground pin. This only shows if there is a problem from the deck plug back, Not in the mast itself.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 04/24/2015 05:54:57
Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2015 :  06:25:10  Show Profile
Hey guys, thanks.
That takes care of the deck plug; how would I go about checking the plug from the mast?
Jay

Jay
South County RI
Cat 25 SR/FK/Trad
Wind Dancer
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2015 :  08:27:28  Show Profile
Assuming your deck socket has power then the problem is in the mast plug,Mast wire or light bulbs or light bulb sockets. Check the mast plug first by plugging it into the deck socket then connect the test lamp to the ground wire and touch each of the other wires one at a time coming out of the mast plug. Make sure your switches are on. If you get nothing then replace the plug or clean up the connections. If you still have power there then the problem is farther up the mast and might involve dropping the mast or a ride in a bosun chair. To have all of your mast lights go off at the same time tells me the problem is a broken or corroded ground wire. If the deck socket has power then look at the mast plug ground wire (green) connection for corrosion or a break.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 04/24/2015 08:57:05
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page