Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Replacing the battery in a Garmin 276C
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Member Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/29/2015 :  10:51:04  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
The tiny little lithium rechargeable battery in my GPS had long since died meaning it had to do a search every time I started it up. That search almost always ended up in the last epoch, meaning it would start the search in 1999 and eventually find a date it liked in 1995. A restart would get it into the current epoch and it would find the right date and be useful.

A little searching online turned up a few pages on how to replace the battery that preserves position data while the device is powered down. It's a tiny little battery that's deep inside the guts of the GPS that's soldered to the motherboard.

I ordered the battery from a company down in LA and proceeded to do the repair.

Getting inside was relatively straight forward, but be sure to read the instructions thoroughly a couple of times so you understand what needs to be done. Remove the 8 screws around the periphery of the device, then remove the nut holding the antenna in (the external antenna lines up with some notches in the case and then can be pulled straight up to remove it). Follow the instructions for detaching the cables so you can get to the underside of the motherboard where the battery is. Make a note of the polarity of the battery and then desolder it from the board. Make sure you use a low wattage soldering iron, you don't want to damage anything. Then solder the tabs to their respective leads and you're done with the repair. Reassemble in reverse, put the battery in, and make sure it works.

I found that it started working immediately so it's acting like a new GPS again. No more 3-5 minutes to acquire a position, it's not quite instantaneous, but it's definitely less than a minute, and no more having to power it off and on again to get into the current epoch as before.

I know Tom Potter was experiencing this, so maybe it'll help to get it fixed. I also ended up with a spare battery, so if someone needs one, let me know & I'll send it to you.

David
C-250 Mainsheet Editor

Sirius Lepak
1997 C-250 WK TR #271 --Seattle area Port Captain --

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/29/2015 :  12:02:53  Show Profile
This reminds me of replacing the battery in my I-Pod Nano this winter. I use it strictly on the boat but it wasn't holding a charge anymore. Found the procedure on U-Tube and the battery for $5 and went at it. The I Pod is now functional again. The battery had to be soldered in also. I think you can find a "How to" for anything on U-Tube.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Tom Potter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1913 Posts

Response Posted - 04/29/2015 :  17:40:17  Show Profile
Hey David,
You're right I have the same problem. I've replaced the main battery a couple times, didn't know about the little battery. Looks like a straight forward replacement. Now to get the nerve to split the case.

1997 250 TR WK (sold)
1984 O'Day 28 (sold)
1979 SISU 22
Bath, NC.
Go to Top of Page

delliottg

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 04/29/2015 :  18:54:17  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Tom,
I've got an extra battery (whatever you do, don't order one from the link in the article, they want to charge you $15 shipping for a 1/10 oz battery). If you want it I'll send it to you. I canceled my order with them when they wanted to force me to ship via FedEx or UPS instead of paying $3 for USPS. They still shipped it to me in a giant box and only charged my card $2.31 which I can't be fussed to fuss about.

David
C-250 Mainsheet Editor

Sirius Lepak
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/29/2015 :  19:42:32  Show Profile
Bravo!!
I'm delighted you were able to revive your old school GPS. If an old device provides reliable service and there's only a minor problem like a dead battery (however buried it was), then there's no reason NOT to try and repair it. I've got an old oldie handheld that supplies Lat-Lon to my DSC-equipped VHF radio via RS-232 at 4800 baud. Still works (but I can't upgrade the tidal data online anymore), but it just does the job year after year, no questions asked.
Now my iPad provides me charts and GPS, however it's way less rugged than my old handheld, and I can't see much in direct sunlight.
Between my iPad, the handheld GPS, my paper charts and my piloting skills, I generally don't stay lost for too long. It's great that Mfrs develop spiffy new versions and upgrades with all fully-integrated features, but if the old ones can still provide good data and keep you out of trouble, that works for me.
And remember, a bunch of us have 30+ year-old boats. That just goes to show you the "it's still good" mentality. And we love them, don't we?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

delliottg

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 05/01/2015 :  10:39:18  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
This is the second time I've "rescued" this GPS, and so far it keeps ticking. I'd like to have a bigger-better one, but I can't justify the expense, especially since this one keeps working, and I'm not missing anything by using it other than updated charts.

The extra battery has been spoken for, so if anyone else wants to do this, use the Ebay link above to order it, not the link in the instructions.

David
C-250 Mainsheet Editor

Sirius Lepak
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/01/2015 :  16:31:14  Show Profile
Mine crapped out in too many ways, including the power cord coming apart... I chose to do another replacement--to a Garmin 640. Nice upgrade, but I don't think it's on the market any more. Nor, it seems, is anything in that category with an internal battery and both marine and street navigation modes. Hope my 640 lasts!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page