Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Tragedy - Moibile Bay
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/26/2015 :  20:39:32  Show Profile
57th running of the Dauphin Island Race, from Fairhope Yacht Club to Dauphin Island yesterday, over 100 boats in the race, sudden storm hit with winds up to 70 mph. So far, 2 confirmed dead (I thought to not be a race participant but someone out fishing) with 5 still missing. 10 vessels capsized, at least 40 rescued. Several of my friends have done that race, as recently as last year. Horrible tragedy. Thoughts and prayers to the families of the deceased and those still missing.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 04/27/2015 :  05:48:53  Show Profile
That was on the news here in NY. Terrible tragedy. I have to wonder if it could have been prevented. Seems they were warned of the storms but went ahead with the race anyway. This was a forecasted weather event that every skipper and the race committee has to weigh and bear. Its quite easy to get caught up in the competition, tradition, and fun factor and ignore the risk involved.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 04/27/2015 06:14:19
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 04/27/2015 :  06:49:58  Show Profile
<< Seems they were warned of the storms but went ahead with the race anyway. >>

We get warned of the storms about every weekend in the spring but the races go on. I spent the night about 3 weeks ago on the water and you could see a big storm just north of me as the front moved through. 2 weeks ago my screens were blown out of my deck with a hail storm, hit and was gone in 15 minutes. Another time about 2 years ago we just barely made it to shelter before a hailstorm hit.

Warning would be nice, but I personally think more in terms of what do you do when it suddenly gets bad. What can you do to prevent injury, or death.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 04/27/2015 :  07:19:33  Show Profile
[quoteI personally think more in terms of what do you do when it suddenly gets bad. What can you do to prevent injury, or death.
][/quote]
Thats the big question in this event. Nowadays every boat would have a radio. NOAA emergency reports of the storm would have been frequent, Weather Apps on phones etc. Hard to believe that this was a surprise to the racers. Also did the skippers throw caution to the wind and keep sails up causing the knock downs? I don't know. For me it would have been race over, Sails down, Motor on and try to hold the nose into the wind or possibly throw an anchor with all the rode you have. Its 12ft of water from what I understand.

Edited by - islander on 04/27/2015 07:36:40
Go to Top of Page

Tradewind
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
531 Posts

Response Posted - 04/27/2015 :  10:14:04  Show Profile
Latest news, 2 dead 4 missing. 10 boats capsized, 3 were in the regatta.

1998 250WK #331
CILCIA
Steve
Pensacola, FL
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9015 Posts

Response Posted - 04/27/2015 :  11:58:33  Show Profile
I saw an interview yesterday with a woman (apparently a skipper) who sent her crew below, couldn't get the main down, and didn't have a life jacket on when her mast hit the water. I'd be ashamed to go on camera with that story. Two other girls described leaving their sails up, jumping into the cabin, and standing on the side of the cabin (inside) as their boat foundered, screaming their heads off. (Bet that helped!)

Around here, NOAA gives progress reports on fronts every couple of minutes, including wind speeds. And of course you can see them coming if you're inclined to look around... Greenish black near the horizon means "Get PFDs on and the canvas down!" (...in that order!)

Where I used to live, the local yacht club ran their regular races one Sunday in the face of a front that had been forecast as violent for at least the previous four days. I saw it coming (on land), could see it would be really bad, drove to my boat club to batten things down, and couldn't believe the racers were out there. Trees were down all over town when I drove home. Only one person died that day in the race... One could say it was fortunate he was the skipper of his boat, rather than crew. Multiple dismastings and capsizes... Too many people to blame to count (including the one who died).

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/27/2015 12:03:23
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 04/27/2015 :  12:32:01  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
100 boats? there had to be a catalina 25 in the race. wonder how she faired? I saw a video where a larger boat was proceeding through the weather under power with sails furled. looked pretty heavy. then out of the spray a much smaller boat sails by and disappears again. Looked like they were doing well. Of course no life jackets. I always wear my inflatable. here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dJF7i5z9lQ4#t=150

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 04/27/2015 :  13:56:39  Show Profile
I don't know about any 25's but I read that two of the boats that sunk were C22's. That video is amazing. just goes to show you that some people have to be hit in the head with a brick before they think maybe they should put on a life vest. And as I suspected, The little boat going by healing out of control with the sails still up. Unbelievable.

Edited by - islander on 04/27/2015 14:01:52
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 04/27/2015 :  15:27:00  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
I thought the little boat was doing well. He got knocked way over, but did not broach. he was still making way and punching through the waves.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

Good Times
1st Mate

Members Avatar

45 Posts

Response Posted - 04/27/2015 :  19:36:47  Show Profile
Hi there
been cruising/looking through this site many times but this is the first time I am chiming in, in particular regarding the DI race.
I did this race many times in my C22 and was there for the first time this year in my 1990 C25 (TR WK)- we trailer from Atlanta down to Fairhope etc. I have done some heavy mods to shelves and storage to the interior among other things.

The short of it: the boat did amazingly fine, loosing but the top sail slug, "spilling my pepper shaker" and spilling a cup of water from a cooler (which is locked in an upright position) due to excessive healing. Amazingly, everything else stayed in place as designed-no mess to clean up on the floor. The skipper and 2 crew made it as well (would not say 'fine' but made it), we have a new appreciation of the boat and life in general...
We actually finished the race. We were prepared but also lucky.

The longer version: the overall weather situation was well known; the sailing prior to the storm was an upwind slug fest in about 15kts that kept everybody on boats of this size on their toes but nothing alarming. We were about 6 miles south of Middle Bay Light almost due east of the finish line, 1 mile west of the ship channel. The haze became thicker, almost foggy, sky and water started to blend in-no thunder or lighting, winds steady - that is when/where it was a judgment call to prep the boat/crew - the wind had not picked up yet and you could not see anything 'coming'. Furled the 135% jib with several wraps of the sheets(tight), put the 2nd deep reef in my new 6.5oz sail with heavy weather battens, PFD's on with hand held radio, Nav-lights on, hatch boards in. We got it done and 2 minutes later the wind hit us with everybody else like a brick; no visual to other boats for a while. She healed over about 40degree (or more), the reefed main flailing heavily and knocking the vang line out of the cleat at the boom; we made about 2-3 kts laying on our side having very little control but not scooping up any water over the coaming. the rain pelted our faces, the top of the waves were blown off and we stayed like this for over 45 minutes drifting back east-north east in the melee of 8-9ft waves like a cork in a washing machine; it would have been impossible to assist anybody during this time. If you did the quick math already, you know that we found ourselves about 2 miles east of the ship channel again - just as the haze lifted, the winds began to lay down a bit and a freighter was going out the channel.
At this time we had no idea of the severity and calamity across the bay, the radio traffic slowly began to pick up but was still hard to hear/follow in the winds and crushing waves.
We finally were able to sheet the main in tight, turned the boat around to the finish line 7 miles away and made 4 kts under the double reefed main alone.
The irony of it all was that an hour and a half after the storm the wind died almost completely, we had to shake out the reef, unfurl the jib just to get across the finish line and on to Dauphin Island.

Things we forgot:
Don't trust the weather weasels!
the weather briefing given the night before stated with a high degree of certainty that we would only see the tail end of the system which would be moving north of Mobile and if any squall line developed it would be short lived. 45 minutes of this stuff was 44 minutes too long!
In all seriousness, the lack of hard numbers with respect to wind speeds in forecasts makes it difficult to come to decisions ahead of time: a forecast of 'the possibility of severe storms' means what?? tell me there is the potential for 70 mph prolonged winds in our sailing area and it would have kept me out of the race. Telling me 10 minutes out that a severe storm is about to hit my area is appreciated and gives me time to prep but nowhere to run and hide...
btw, I don't know how the anchor out theories would could have worked in the middle of the bay with the waves all square and wild.

we forgot to put knives in the life jackets
we forgot/failed to give the RC or anybody our position prior to the storm, in case we had to go swimming, a last know position would have helped. Had no idea how severe that 'severe storm' was going to get.

Again we gut lucky when we drifted with the weather out of control across the ship channel.

Kudos also to my crew, who were an older salt like me and a high school senior from Watts Bar TN - without them being calm and collected (outwardly anyways)it could have been much more difficult.

The C25 survived it with valor - according to a weather guru on tv, the bow echo right above us produced winds of 97 mph - but again, don't trust them.

Andy

Andy Kohler

C25 #6012 TR WK
traditional layout

16ft Hobie Cat
23.5 Hunter
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9015 Posts

Response Posted - 04/27/2015 :  21:38:08  Show Profile
Welcome, Andy--great post! When I saw "12 ft of water", I immediately thought of big, square, short chop with the tops blowing off (meaning sheets of spray). I'm glad you had a deep reef ready to go, but I'd probably want to go bare and just run (like the video)... I've made some pretty good speed under a bare pole in a squall, but not quite like that.

Yes, poise (or at least not screaming like those girls) is hugely important. I suspect a lot of folks here, including lurkers, are impressed that a TR/WK came through that unscathed, but I'll add that it apparently was a TR/WK under very competent command!

Were you listening to NOAA out there, or did you have the weather alert turned on? Or is that too much of a distraction in a race? (Maybe, but it shouldn't be for the RC, especially when the uncertainty is high.)

Any way, good work!

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/27/2015 21:45:29
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 04/28/2015 :  05:53:57  Show Profile
quote:
I don't know how the anchor out theories would could have worked in the middle of the bay with the waves all square and wild.

First, Very glad that you and crew are OK. My thoughts on throwing an anchor is an alternative to trying to hold the bow into the wind and waves with only a side mounted outboard. Honestly I don't know if It could be done in those conditions. Anchoring with all the rode out would at least keep the bow into the waves and wind even if it drags plus preventing or at least slowing being blown into shore or as you said shipping lanes. If it were me my main mission would be to not let the boat get broadside to the waves.

Go to Top of Page

Good Times
1st Mate

Members Avatar

45 Posts

Response Posted - 04/28/2015 :  07:15:35  Show Profile
We did not listen to the weather radio during the race but knew of the potential for a storm and got a warning via VHF from a sailboat on the MS-AL line that a severe storm would be hitting us soon. Having been in this area many times before, my experience of heavy weather always has been gusts, short lived in the 40mph range, nothing like this prolonged 70mph plus blow. The local sailors too noted that this was a freak storm of the kind that short of the hurrican times they never saw before.
Based on that we put the double reef in - I would have been better off with bare poles..

anchoring:
boats of our size were not long enough to stay on top of the waves..
the wave period was short and the shape so squarish that we would have ridden up and down each one of them in a steep angle burring the bow many times over. I am convinced it would have ripped out the bow cleat or chafed through the line in short order. A 35ft plus boat might have stayed on top of the waves at a more level position and be able to ride it out. Did not hear of anybody who rode this one out at anchor, not saying it can't be done but we did not try it.

btw outboard engines were useless during the storm.

(now if I can figure out how to post pics here)

Andy Kohler

C25 #6012 TR WK
traditional layout

16ft Hobie Cat
23.5 Hunter
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9015 Posts

Response Posted - 04/28/2015 :  08:53:04  Show Profile
Posting pix: Put them on a photo site like Shutterfly, and "copy" the URL for the pic on that site. (Depending on the browser, it generally takes a right-click and a menu choice.) In your post here, click the button in the Format toolbar, and then "paste" the URL between the ] and the [ of the two image tags that button creates. Done. (I just did it to show that button.)

Members can store photos in our Members' Area here.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/28/2015 09:03:50
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 04/29/2015 :  19:43:22  Show Profile
I just found out today, guys, that I personally know one of the C22 owners who lost his boat in the DI race, Larry Goolsby. They are from northern AL and were hit by another larger sailboat competitor. The skipper of that boat did not stop or stand by to lend aid, maybe was not able to given the conditions, but kept on sailing. The C22 sank and all 3 on board were in the water for quite some time before being rescued by another boat. The rescuing boat suffered severe damage to their sails attempting the rescue, and the C22 National Sailing Association is taking up a collection to buy that skipper replacement sails.
I have not checked it out yet, but I expect that there is or will be something about it on the C22 National website.

Edit: Here is a link to the C22 website. 117 boats were in the race, I read online that there were 456 sailors competing:
http://www.catalina22.org/

Here is another link:
http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2015/04/light_o_mobile_rescues_3_men_s.html

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN

Edited by - dmpilc on 04/29/2015 20:11:10
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9015 Posts

Response Posted - 04/29/2015 :  20:11:16  Show Profile
I believe maritime law is pretty explicit on assistance and rescue--this sounds like the opposite (regarding the hit-and-run vessel, which has a lot of 'splainin' to do). Somebody knows who they are, and somebody else knows they know...

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1737 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2015 :  12:30:47  Show Profile
Fascinating post -- I echo blessing that Andy and his crew are safe. The take away of this is really how important it is for everyone to be prepared for a sudden and dramatic change in weather -- having the gear, crew prep, communications protocol well planned in advance, etc. No matter where any of us sail, this could (has and will again) happen to any of us.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2015 :  13:33:09  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Kudos.

I know that when two boats are in company heading the same direction, it quickly turns into a reca and I have also felt the determination to get the best out of our boat when there is comparison like that.

So Kudos to Andy for taking action early and not holding out for the sake of being ahead.

Paul

Joint Decision. (Sold)
PO C250WB 2005 Sail # 841.

Moved up to C34 Eximius

Updated August 2015
Go to Top of Page

Good Times
1st Mate

Members Avatar

45 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2015 :  15:07:22  Show Profile
Gents,
Thanks for the 'kudos', they are appreciated.
But, it's not always black and white- there was a lot of grey out there - literally...
I believe there might be a somewhat different thrash hold for say 'reefing and storm preps' between a cruiser who is racing(me) and a true racing crew- and this line is in the grey area. Case in point might be Larry G. on his wonderful C22 race horse, the G4, whom I spoke with after the race; they had a very competent crew and the finish line in sight ( about 1 mile out) when the storm hit them; 'they got caught' with the sails still up, the hatch open and pfds below; we got lucky that we had finished those preps 2 minutes before the storm hit us, just lucky or a 6th sense to 'reef now' rather than waiting another 2 minutes; again it was not clear when to prep, but of course one can argue that sooner in this case is always better than later- but there is this race going on..

What I gathered from my conversation with Larry and Tony, the G4's demise came when she was on her side, struggling to come back up - but still floating fine when another sailboat, albeit much larger than theirs but just as much out of control with the sails still up drifted closer and closer towards them. They saw it coming for minutes and initially thought it may pass them when they realized in the last minute that it would roll over them pushing the G4 under the water, 2 of the crew jumped into the water from the cockpit at that moment and Larry who rode the impact out on the bow (he tried to get the sails down there) jumped after his crew so they would stay together. I am sure from their point of view in the water it may have looked like that other boat was 'sailing on'. hard to believe any boat was 'sailing' in these conditions.

Not sure who or what the other boat was, or if it had an inboard diesel that could have been fired up to do any good, but with their sails still up there is a good chance they could not have done anything at that moment to get them back on board; that is another grey area. [sending a pan pan, pressing MOB button on a GPS, contacting Coast Guard, returning after the blow to search, coming forward now etc etc is a different matter]
Even the Maritime Law hat requires that one must render assistance etc has this little appendage 'when it can be done safely' - another grey area.

as stated in a previous post, the boat that fished Larry and crew out of the water tore their sails in the rescue attempt. First of all KUDOs to them and second, realize this was AFTER the storm, when the worst had past, but obviously it was still strong enough to do the damage.

I have heard rumors that they found and salvage the two C22s??

There are many side stories of this event, such as the hobie which had finished way earlier, was on the way back to Fairhope and got caught 350 yds from the Harbor there; boat flipped drifted towards the breakwater and got smashed to pieces, crew swam to shore and was safe.
Or
One boat had finished, was motoring past the bridge to the channel that leads back to DI when they got hit with the sails all packed up. The wind pushed them back towards the bridge way outside the channel; they had to unfurled the jib to lay the boat over to pass under the power lines at that spot;
and so it goes...

Andy Kohler

C25 #6012 TR WK
traditional layout

16ft Hobie Cat
23.5 Hunter
Go to Top of Page

Good Times
1st Mate

Members Avatar

45 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2015 :  15:14:36  Show Profile
trying this picture posting thing...

if it works, this our boat in Dauphin Island once it was all over

next to 30+ft Cape Dory with both sails shredded and 15" of water in the cabin

Edited by Admin to show links to the images.

(Benefit of Membership is option to upload image)

Andy Kohler

C25 #6012 TR WK
traditional layout

16ft Hobie Cat
23.5 Hunter
Go to Top of Page

Good Times
1st Mate

Members Avatar

45 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2015 :  15:15:48  Show Profile
oops, work in progress!

Andy Kohler

C25 #6012 TR WK
traditional layout

16ft Hobie Cat
23.5 Hunter
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page