Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Pressure Washing
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/17/2016 :  19:40:30  Show Profile
As I mentioned in a another post I haven't been down to my boat but once in several months and she was pretty green.

I have access to a pressure washer and planned on giving her a good cleaning this weekend if time permits.

Besides being careful where and how close I point the tip (I'll be using a fan tip) and making sure not to get up under handrails, ports, etc... any tips/pointers on what to and what not to do?

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/18/2016 :  16:19:22  Show Profile
Gary, Like you said don't get close to bedded items.You do not want to blow out any caulk and create leaks. You will get the hang of it really fast. Give a man a pressure washer and he's entertained all day!

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/18/2016 :  17:07:14  Show Profile
Stay away from all of the teak, too. Pressure-washing won't just remove any finish, it can instantly dig out the soft parts of the grain. The teak might look new, but it won't be smooth.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 06/18/2016 17:09:51
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/18/2016 :  17:57:08  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Gary, Like you said don't get close to bedded items.You do not want to blow out any caulk and create leaks. You will get the hang of it really fast. Give a man a pressure washer and he's entertained all day!

Yep, literally just finished 7 hours of pressure washing the driveway and sidewalks at home!

Boat will have to wait for another day.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3368 Posts

Response Posted - 06/19/2016 :  08:35:59  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
When pressure washing, be careful around the knot meter. The pressure wash will clear it of any debris clogging the knot meter but if the spray is held to close to it or a very strong spray, the knot meter inside works can crack off. That is what happened to me last time I had the yard pressure wash the bottom. Luckily, the sealing/seating housing is intact - No leaks. I have the replacement transducer ready to install whenever I get around to it.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 07/01/2016 :  12:02:26  Show Profile
FWIW, I would not pressure wash the delicate topside gelcoat on a boat. I wouldn't pressure wash a car either. 3000 psi gets less dirt off a car finish than a simple wipe of a sponge. Similarly, a nice soapy brush on the end of a broomstick or aluminum telescoping handle will do just as good a job on topside fiberglass as a pressure washer, with much less risk of damage.

Pressure washing is good for very rough surfaces that present severe resistance to a scrub brush (sidewalks, driveway, stucco walls), or areas that are ergonomically difficult to reach (boat bottom, high-up windows and walls). But the deck of a boat does not meet either of these criteria.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/01/2016 :  14:09:21  Show Profile
I agree with everything you're saying although the pressure washer I was going to use can be adjusted down to 1200 - 1600 psi. I decided not to use it anyway. To much PITA to lug it down to the boat and then worry about whether it would get stolen overnight.

Also, by the time I unloaded it, got it setup, and started washing I could have been half done using the brush. Plus I didn't want to worry about damaging the teak or blowing water where it wasn't supposed to be.

I'm planning on going down tomorrow and using my boat brush, soap, and elbow grease to clean it up. What kind of boat wash did we decide was the best to use on the hull? I use the Starbright deck cleaner with PTEF for the deck.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/05/2016 :  18:48:03  Show Profile
Well, the green monster is no more! About 4 hours of scrubbing in the hot Texas sun and she almost looks respectable again. Unfortunately I ran out of steam before I got the cockpit and cabin top clean. It was sooo hot (and extremely humid) by 9 am I had to keep soaking myself with the hose to keep from passing out.

It's the worst the boats ever been since I bought her and I feel really guilty letting her get in that condition. Once it cools off in the fall I'll pull her and scrub her down with the Poli-Ox and put on 4 or 5 coats of Poli-Glo. I would think she would be a lot easier to keep clean after the Poli-Glo.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 07/05/2016 19:01:17
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/06/2016 :  20:01:49  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by GaryB

...I would think she would be a lot easier to keep clean after the Poli-Glo.

...on the deck and cabintop? Some here have advised against that. I prefer the PTFE/PTEF cleaners for decks and cockpit.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 07/06/2016 :  20:14:29  Show Profile
Do some research to verify this, but IIRC Practical Sailor raved about the use of NuFinish (inexpensive non-buffing automotive "polish") for non-skid and other horizontal surfaces. I even went out and bought some, but never got around to trying it. I should put it on my list to try on the new boat.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/07/2016 :  17:51:59  Show Profile
Not sure how you deducted that from my post but no, I'm not planning on putting Poli-Glo on the decks. :)

As you stated, many have recommended not doing that and you guys are far more experienced at this than I am so I generally listen to others mistakes so I don't have to undo mistakes and therefore have more time to sail. :):).

Edit: I guess from my comment about cleaning the decks and cabin top. Sorry for the confusion.

I have used the Starbright Deck cleaner with PTFE and it does work great. In fact, I picked up another bottle of it last Saturday. Just didn't get to use it.

New question, could I use Poli-Glo on the side of the cabin top?

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 07/07/2016 17:57:54
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/07/2016 :  18:00:22  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by TakeFive

Do some research to verify this, but IIRC Practical Sailor raved about the use of NuFinish (inexpensive non-buffing automotive "polish") for non-skid and other horizontal surfaces. I even went out and bought some, but never got around to trying it. I should put it on my list to try on the new boat.

I've used it in the past and it worked good but I don't remember using it on non-skid. Seemed like I used it on the hull to shine it up. I just don't remember for sure.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5232 Posts

Response Posted - 07/09/2016 :  06:35:32  Show Profile
Hmmmm... Poli glow on the side of the cabin? Good question! I've considered doing that several times. Since the hull comes out so well and the side of the cabin tops is pretty dull, you could certainly do that.
I'd advise that if you do it, start with Poli-prep then rinse-rinse-rinse then bleach and TSP, then maybe the ketchup treatment, rinse .... You know the drill - as clean as possible.
The key about applying Poli-glow is keeping it where you want it, preventing drips and keeping it from pooling up on the nonskid surfaces on the gunwales.
That's my only advice.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page