Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Late Season Upgrades
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
3370 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/19/2016 :  03:56:04  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Well, buying the Mayflower, etc is not in the cards for me plus it is doubtful the draft of one of those boats/ships is going to make sailing fun on the river where I sail.

I lost the cover from my Saturn compass several years ago and the compass, while it still works okay, has seen better days. It is getting very hazy/dark and the cowling broke off and is now missing which exposes the wiring, etc. I really do not need a compass for river sailing but aesthetically, it does not please me. So, I decided to replace it with a Ritchie SR-2 Venture. The original hole cut for the Saturn is about 4" diameter. The Venture requires a 4 1/2" diameter hole cut. Cutting the large diameter is a bit tricky since the drill bit in the center of a 4 1/2" hole cutter has nothing to center it on since there is an existing hole. So, using clamps and a backing board placed against the bulkhead from inside the cabin plus a couple of 1/2" leftover pieces of starboard nailed to the backing board to fill in the existing hole, provided what I needed to center the drill bit. The 4 1/2" hole cut was completed without a hitch and then used the paper template to drill the compass mounting holes. Everything went fine and now I have a new compass with a bright blue compass card which...really serves no great use on the river....Now probably need to find a place where I can use it like on the Chesapeake Bay !

I am likely to replace all cushions this year. Just have to stop procrastinating and bring some of them down to a semi-local shop and discuss options.

That's my Fall mods for this year. One already done and the other in a procrastinating mode for right now.

My sails are now going on about 9-10 years. The main has just a bit of stretch in it and my 150 genoa has the Sunbrella cover trim frayed on the last foot of it that dragged over the lifeline/stanchions. Not sure when but that will eventually become the next thing to look into - Bring the sails in for an evaluation/repair. If very expensive , then I may go for new sails but planning on holding off since not blown out.

As far as the cushions go, my thought was to have the cockpit seat cushions made up similar to the existing ones with just a denser foam. Inside cushions - Any suggestions ? I think the originals are made of a fabric similar to Sunbrella but many years ago, when I added an extended bunk, I had a mail-order company make the cushion out of a softer fabric ...I have to check if I have any paperwork at home, I think it was called micro-something fabric and that has worked out well. Anyone have experience as to what has worked well for them fabric-wise for inside cushions for both sitting and sleeping ?

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - OLarryR on 09/19/2016 03:57:25
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page