Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Winter view
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

glivs
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/05/2017 :  16:24:05  Show Profile
Recent YouTube post of the inner bay where our mooring is located. If you can survive the first couple of minutes you will have seen the best of it. Note you are not looking at liquid water...little snow so far this year.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=byK1a50lQY0&feature=player_embedded

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5236 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2017 :  22:04:03  Show Profile
Wow! Is that all clear Ice without snow? Looks perfect for iceboat sailing. We have a fleet in CT at Bantam Lake (Litchfield and Morris CT). Are there any ice boaters on Lake Champlain?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2017 :  17:06:08  Show Profile
Clear ice? Yes. Impressive. As for an organized fleet, I don't know although there is interest. Often see a few DNs at a time and the Skeeter Nationals were held on the bay maybe 10 years ago. Also see a few kite boarders out playing...crazy but seem to be having fun.

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9015 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2017 :  22:03:52  Show Profile
Woah--somebody has nice quad with some good range and camera controls!

I remember skating alone on ice like that on a lake in Michigan at dusk when the ice starts to contract--creating the kinds of cracks you see there... Well, one started probably a mile or more away and came right at me--it seemed like at several hundred MPH, and went literally between my skates with a loud zzzzBANG sort of sound! Apparently my weight influenced its path... I was lucky I didn't have to skate home with ice forming in my pants!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 02/06/2017 22:14:24
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5236 Posts

Response Posted - 02/08/2017 :  07:41:22  Show Profile
For our friends in the sunny south this is a completely 'nother world to what you're accustomed to. First, the ice is THICK! In New Hampshire and Vermont folks regularly drive their cars out on the ice. And often their trucks. Not little wimpy turbo-diesel pickup trucks mind you but dump trucks, delivery trucks, etc. And they drive out to their ice fishing houses, aka "Bob-houses". Anglers create small villages out on the ice. With heaters and chimney pipes, furniture, tables and chairs and some have TVs. Guys fish (and it's mostly guys) through a hole they cut through with an ice auger, or a big drill. Some are manual but a lot are gasoline powered. They sometimes drill through as much as 12-18" of ice to hit water. You drop a bobber line down through the hole and often you catch fish. Like "Grumpy Old Men".
Ice boating is another ephemeral phenomenon. They look a little like a big downhill racer with two long skates where the back wheels should be and a pointy nose with a set of long skates on a steering mechanism on the front. And depending on the class of boat there will be a mast, boom main and jib about the size of a large dinghy. And these boats aren't for wimps. They regularly go 50, 60, 70 mph in steady 20 kt winds. You see, there's no friction as in a boat and even though the breeze is 20, once these boats get started the apparent wind begins to increase. As you speed up so does the wind. It's a positive feedback loop so without friction the boats almost take off.
So what does any self-respecting guy do in that case? They race of course!
And then sometimes around mid April it comes to an end. A few sunny days and it's time to break camp and bug out with all your toys. Next thing you know it's "Ice Out". Not a trace of hard water left in May.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9015 Posts

Response Posted - 02/08/2017 :  08:26:21  Show Profile
...although this year the Farmers Insurance commercial (the truck on the ice) might be a more accurate picture.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 02/08/2017 :  18:39:25  Show Profile
Vehicles on ice? Come on guys, let's get creative.

http://montrealgazette.com/sponsored/mtl-375th/from-the-archives-success-of-ice-railway-to-south-shore-in-1880-was-short-lived

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5236 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2017 :  22:04:16  Show Profile
Sounds like one of those crazy but true stories. Folks are always trying to get around high prices of things. We have a road in CT called Shunpike. Originally there was a toll road called a turnpike from Hartford to someplace that was very well maintained because the owners levied a toll on anyone who wanted to travel across it. Nearby some cheapskates decided they'd create a much rougher, swampy and less pleasant road that shunned the turnpike, hence Shunpike...
Nobody crashed through the ice, but I'm sure they broke an axle or two out there.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2017 :  23:37:10  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by glivs

Recent YouTube post of the inner bay where our mooring is located...

Wow, collapsing docks at a marina. How do they hold them in place when they extend them?

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page