Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Warning
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RichardG
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
990 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/21/2017 :  11:25:14  Show Profile
Took down the mast to install new rigging, lights, wiring, etc. This was at the top of the forestay.

I think I may have dodged a bullet.

RichardG 81 FK/SR #2657
Terminal Island, CA

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 02/21/2017 :  13:04:35  Show Profile
Ya think???? Possible halyard wrap damage or just fatigue or age. Very lucky!

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 02/21/2017 13:05:48
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9015 Posts

Response Posted - 02/21/2017 :  17:16:10  Show Profile
Looks like classic crevice corrosion just inside the swage. When was the last time in the boat's 36 years in salt water that the standing rigging was replaced?

Important warning!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 02/21/2017 17:17:44
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3369 Posts

Response Posted - 02/22/2017 :  04:51:54  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Wow ! Well, you certainly got full use of the standing rigging ! and with the maintenance you are performing, you will get many years of continued use and can really appreciate all the mast work you are now performing. Great way to start off the season !

You never know about the condition/strength of the standing rigging as it gets on in years. There is just so much you can see and then there is what oftentimes is hidden from general inspections. For example, I recall a guy who posted a photo of his Cat25 on this forum eons ago ( ~ 1970s vintage) . He supposedly had original rigging but in his case, at least the forestay had plenty of strength in it...enough that when his boat was being lifted off supports by the travel arm and the slings slipped impacting the forestay, rather than the forestay giving out, it ripped up about 1 foot of the fiberglass at his bow. The yard, refunded him whatever his maintenance charges were and also paid him for his boat considering it a total loss due to the structural damage/repair estimate, although, one could argue that it was repairable. Still, who would think the forestay, which was probably over 30 years old at the time, would withstand the impact of the travel arm support.

I forget what the general recommendation is when to change out the standing rigging - Believe it is around 12 years or so for a boat in a seawater environment. Many probably do not have it done for over 20 years. If yours was ~ 36 years old without it ever done before - That is a real long time !

Original PO of My 1989 had it in seawater until ~ 2001, then the PO before me had it in freshwater on the Potomac since and I continued it being in a freshwater environment starting in 2005. I do not believe the rigging was ever changed until I had it done in Dec'12 ~ The Standing rigging was then about 23 years old. If I do not see any signs of corrosion/deterioration, I hope to go another 15+ years or so before considering doing it again....But two big "IFs" - If I do not sell the boat by then and if my body does not give out by then. (I'll be 68 in Apr.)

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - OLarryR on 02/22/2017 04:53:08
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5236 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2017 :  22:02:01  Show Profile
My rigging is about 10-12 years old (Dave Stinkpotter can verify) and I replaced the forestay 3 years ago when I noticed the kink at the head. I bought a new set from CD this year and plan to install it when the weather improves enough to remove the tarps. I did not notice any apparent problems with the rigging last time dropped the mast but getting dis masted scares me shipless!

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9015 Posts

Response Posted - 02/24/2017 :  10:34:38  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

My rigging is about 10-12 years old (Dave Stinkpotter can verify)...
Bruce, I replaced the full set in the spring of 2004, so call it 13. There was evidence of a halyard-wrap on the forestay (untwisted at the top)--I suspect the P.O. didn't route the halyard through the restraining block on the mast at some point. (You're doing that, right?)

BTW, to check that year I looked up my listing on the Swap Meet forum--for your amusement, here's Passage when I let her go.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 02/24/2017 10:46:38
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1737 Posts

Response Posted - 02/25/2017 :  08:08:41  Show Profile
One of the reasons I take the mast off each winter for storage. I can inspect all of the standing and running rigging as well as wiring and condition of spreaders etc. Also, the boat deck and rigging do not take the stress of winter gale force storms while on the hard where the pressure has no water to act as a shock absorber.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5236 Posts

Response Posted - 03/04/2017 :  08:35:45  Show Profile
Now that was a walk down memory lane. I changed the table (but kept the old one) and the cushions cleaned up real nice. My wife noticed that there was 0 clutter in the for sale pictures. "What did you expect, my dear?", Said I. Time to prep her again for the coming season.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9015 Posts

Response Posted - 03/04/2017 :  09:03:31  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

...My wife noticed that there was 0 clutter in the for sale pictures...
Yup--I did a little "staging" including some Cetol touch-up before listing her--she didn't always look quite that way. The day after I put that listing here, your POs came to look, and they couldn't hide their excitement--wrote a check on the spot--no contingencies. I'm constantly amazed by the cluttered pictures of boats for sale--"curb appeal" works! (When I've sold cars, I shined up the valve covers...)

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 03/04/2017 :  09:34:21  Show Profile
I'm constantly amazed by the cluttered pictures of boats for sale--"curb appeal" works! (When I've sold cars, I shined up the valve covers...)
Ha Ha, That always amazed me also. Really I don't want to go and look at a boat that I might have to move their stinky underwear.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 03/04/2017 09:38:25
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5236 Posts

Response Posted - 03/06/2017 :  16:16:16  Show Profile
I'm inspired. This weekend I'm going to clear out the Qberth and Vberth of all the "equipment". Already cleared out the undies in the fall...

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9015 Posts

Response Posted - 03/07/2017 :  16:07:01  Show Profile
We didn't always look that way...

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5236 Posts

Response Posted - 03/15/2017 :  05:21:17  Show Profile
Who is using Dyneema based rigging? Is it better than stainless steel wire, or just as good? Are there trade offs you have to take into account? How do you actually measure the material lengths? What are the end fixtures like: turnbuckles, eyes, attachment points? How do you manage chafe and wear at the ends?
I can imagine it's based on traditional fiber based rope rigging from days gone by with a few modern twists. If anybody knows of a few good articles on it, it might make interesting reading. If anybody's had direct experience, what are your thoughts?

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9015 Posts

Response Posted - 03/15/2017 :  07:13:07  Show Profile
https://www.riggingdoctor.com/life-aboard/2015/8/10/synthetic-rigging-conversion

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page