Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Inboard Diesel
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hewebb
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/29/2017 :  06:23:24  Show Profile
I have often wondered how many Catalina 25's were delivered with the inboard diesel and found this information this morning.

"Roughly 150 Catalina 25s were delivered from the factory with an inboard diesel, which was located behind the companionway steps beneath the cockpit sole."

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 10/29/2017 :  08:35:14  Show Profile
...out of 6030+... That's 2.5%. You have a rare gem! (There's another one in my neighborhood, although I haven't seen it recently.)

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1739 Posts

Response Posted - 10/29/2017 :  08:47:41  Show Profile
I have run into two for sale -- one in Baltimore and one in Boston. Very tempting as I get older and less flexible to wrestle with raising/lowering motor mounts and tilt systems. I have wondered if the balance of thereat would be any different with a multiple hundred pound weight closer to mid-ship.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/29/2017 :  09:16:46  Show Profile
An inboard diesel engine enables the boat to continue powering, either to windward or downwind, when outboard powered boats would be stymied. Unlike an outboard, an inboard won't cavitate when powering to windward in chop. A serious cruiser will love an inboard diesel.

Maneuvering a boat under inboard power requires learning different techniques, because the prop is fixed. You can't turn it like you can turn the outboard engine and direct the thrust.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

SKS
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 10/29/2017 :  10:18:14  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

Maneuvering a boat under inboard power requires learning different techniques, because the prop is fixed. You can't turn it like you can turn the outboard engine and direct the thrust.

You can say THAT again.
Still, once you get the hang of it, it's well worthwhile. It also opens up the world of bigger boats.

"Lady E" 1986 Catalina 25: Fin Keel, Standard Rig, Inboard M12 Diesel, Sail No. 5339
Sailing out of Norwalk Cove Marina, Connecticut

Edited by - SKS on 10/29/2017 10:18:56
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/29/2017 :  11:01:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by SKS

It also opens up the world of bigger boats.

Exactly! You use the same techniques to back a 25' inboard into a slip as a 45' inboard. If you can maneuver a 25, you can maneuver a 45, or 50 or 60. It's just a matter of getting over your timidity and doing what you know how to do. A big boat responds to the prop and rudder the same way as a small boat, just more slowly, which is a good thing, because many people enter a slip way too fast anyway. When the boat moves slowly, you have time to make corrections or to fend off of a piling without a hard bump.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 10/30/2017 :  06:38:14  Show Profile
We have one in our marina, in the 7+ years since retirement and becoming more involved around the marina, I've only seen it leave the dock twice and I rarely see the owner or evidence of him. Had my Capri on the same dock as him for a year or so, was on my boat 2-3 times a week, either sailing, working on it or just checking on it.

At times I wish I had an inboard on my Watkins...

Tom Curran
1981 Capri 25 Hull #101 "Dirty Debbie"
1988 Watkins 30
PAFB, FL

Edited by - TCurran on 10/30/2017 06:38:57
Go to Top of Page

SKS
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 11/02/2017 :  04:48:28  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bigelowp

I have run into two for sale -- one in Baltimore and one in Boston. Very tempting as I get older and less flexible to wrestle with raising/lowering motor mounts and tilt systems. I have wondered if the balance of thereat would be any different with a multiple hundred pound weight closer to mid-ship.

You're just across the harbor. Stop by and we can chat.
I never met a sailor I didn't like.

"Lady E" 1986 Catalina 25: Fin Keel, Standard Rig, Inboard M12 Diesel, Sail No. 5339
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 11/02/2017 :  09:22:21  Show Profile
The downside for an inboard is the loss of storage space in a small boat, but there have been times when I would have gladly swapped, like running almost down wind in 25kts with a 4' following sea last winter. As an aside, I almost left the Catalina fold for a Watkins a couple of years ago. I really liked that boat. A very old, even from my perspective, dock neighbor was planning to sell in a year or so. Unfortunately for me, his daughter eventually decided that she wanted it instead.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

Stu Jackson C34
Admiral

Members Avatar

844 Posts

Response Posted - 11/02/2017 :  13:56:43  Show Profile
We had our C25 for 13 years, and have had our C34 for the past 19. The C25 was an outboard. I learned how to be a diesel mechanic, short of tearing down the whole engine.

The true downside to an inboard on both a C25 and a C27 is access. And a critical part of access is to the stuffing box. If you can't get to it, it won't be serviced. It ends up scoring the shaft and/or leading to leaks from the shaft into the boat.

I don't recall if the inboards were raw or freshwater cooled. If rw cooled, they have issues of having to clear out the coolant system. FW cooled are actually easier engines to maintain.

Not the best application of inboards to a boat of our size.

Stu
1986 C34 #224 "Aquavite"
Cowichan Bay, BC Maple Bay Marina
(formerly San Francisco)
(formerly C25 #2459 "Capricorn Two")
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 11/02/2017 :  14:57:31  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dave5041

...As an aside, I almost left the Catalina fold for a Watkins a couple of years ago. I really liked that boat. A very old, even from my perspective, dock neighbor was planning to sell in a year or so. Unfortunately for me, his daughter eventually decided that she wanted it instead.
Then also keep your eyes open for a Com-Pac 25, which is the same boat. Hutchins (Com-Pac) acquired the molds from Watkins (or its successor company) and continued building it for a while--their version was very handsome--bronze ports, lots of teak,... (and priced at about $45k and up). They haven't offered it for quite a few years now, but there are some out there.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 11/02/2017 14:58:52
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1739 Posts

Response Posted - 11/03/2017 :  18:22:12  Show Profile
Stu -- good points on access and maintenance. My family is all over me to get an inboard for "convenience" and yet I try to convince them (the Admiral) that an outboard is the most convenient for maintenance and sailing without the prop drag is really nice. I have flirted with upgrading to a C-34 like you have, but as I single hand more often than have a crew, I keep focusing on how to make MY life more "convenient". I think having an inboard could be an improvement, but only if I can handle the boat and if the engine fits the boat. No matter what stage of sailing, there is always something to ponder!

Peter Bigelow
Rowayton, Ct
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1739 Posts

Response Posted - 11/03/2017 :  18:23:18  Show Profile
SKS I have looked for you at NCM, but only find another C25 with outboard. I will be around all winter however

Peter Bigelow
Rowayton, Ct
Go to Top of Page

SKS
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 11/05/2017 :  05:39:32  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bigelowp

SKS I have looked for you at NCM, but only find another C25 with outboard. I will be around all winter however

Let me know when and where. I'm thinking of moving up to a 27 foot Catalina with a helm.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page