Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Stereo Location
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ryank020
1st Mate

Member Avatar

53 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/05/2017 :  07:05:25  Show Profile
I plan on adding a stereo during the off-season since my boat currently does not have one. Where is a good place to mount both the stereo receiver and the speakers? I have seen where speakers are only mounted inside in boxes to avoid cutting any fiberglass, but would like to be able to hear when out in the cockpit and on the hook swimming. Is there an ideal place to mount on the exterior?

1984 Cat 25 FK/TR #4687

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 11/05/2017 :  09:07:40  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello All,

A part of why I replaced my main bulkheads was because my PO or one of them, had cut holes in it for a stereo and speakers. My main gripe being he had no sense of proportion and mounted one speaker up high and the other much lower. It just plain looked terrible. After replacing the bulkheads I decided that if I wanted music I would just use a boom box. So now, when I want music, rarely, I just place it where ever I want it. And no holes anywhere. Just my 2 cents.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 11/05/2017 :  09:19:28  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
The interior behind the cockpit combings on both sides is accessible from below: port side from the "dumpster" sail locker and stbd. side from a couple of removable wood covers above the quarter berth. In both cases, it's difficult to reach up around the body of the speaker to put nuts onto the upper screws, so self-tapping machine screws might be a better idea, as long as the wires are kept away from them. The disadvantage to placing the speakers there is that they can be uncomfortable to lean back on, but it keeps the bodies of the speakers out of sight. It also keeps them away from the compass, which is very important (electronic navigation devices can fail, but the compass is always there).

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

C25BC
Navigator

Members Avatar

Canada
200 Posts

Response Posted - 11/05/2017 :  11:13:05  Show Profile
Blue tooth technology meets all my music needs and is non-evasive . My boat does have a stereo , the four speakers sit in each corner of the shelves .

Angus
S.V.Tempus
1984 Catalina 25 SK/SR/Trad.
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 11/05/2017 :  19:19:55  Show Profile
I have two modes: music under sail and music at the dock or at anchor.
Under sail I keep it simple with a small radio boom box, or if I want to hear my MP3 iPod player, I use a Scoche Boom Bottle
At anchor I crank up my Sony radio. I mounted it next to the starboard head bulkhead underneath the portlight. I've got the two front speakers, left and right, mounted on the shelves above the settees. The rear speakers are marine-grade bookshelf speakers on a 15' cable that I set on the aft end of the cockpit seats.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 11/05/2017 :  20:10:03  Show Profile
Dropping my phone into a little Memorex cradle at the dock occasionally is enough for me, and a modest radio. There is also a Bose dock available from home if I ever want that much noise. I really enjoy the quiet sounds of sailing more when underway, maybe that comes with age. A guy today asked me if I had any trouble getting in and out of my Miata - he just bought a new one and wondered how many years he would be able to drive it.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 11/05/2017 :  20:55:56  Show Profile
How about an mp3 player that you can carry in your shirt pocket and a bluetooth speaker that you can put in the coaming compartment while sailing or inside when anchored?

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 11/05/2017 :  21:34:41  Show Profile
I put my speaker boxes inside the companionway, and Lee Panza called it: My old portable GPS failed while under sail into the nearby (but relatively unfamiliar) Annapolis harbor at night. I could have navigated by the compass, but it pointed to a crazy direction because of the speaker magnet right behind it. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

That night we got into port safely, and I moved the speakers later.

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/06/2017 :  08:45:40  Show Profile
Portable radio works for me. I use a Songbook radio that I loaded with rechargeable batteries. It has a built in charger so it gets plugged into a cigarette receptacle in the cabin or runs off the house battery. It fits on the interior shelf and fits inside the coaming box and has great sound. Also has an Aux In for an MP3 player and headphone jack. Just didn't feel like drilling holes in the boat and this provides all the tunes I need. Simple and easy.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 11/06/2017 08:49:47
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 11/06/2017 :  14:03:06  Show Profile

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 11/06/2017 :  18:49:42  Show Profile
It's great to have portable music and all but as the song goes,"It's All About That Bass"! You gotta feel that bottom. Most (but not all) Bluetooth speakers are lacking the full spectrum of sound. Try listening to Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring" on a 3" tweeter.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

ryank020
1st Mate

Members Avatar

53 Posts

Response Posted - 11/07/2017 :  13:13:36  Show Profile
Lee Panza- That is a great idea. I love the location, gets sound in the cockpit and gets the sound "up" so you could hear it outside the boat. I like that better than mounting on the bulkheads.

Pastmember- Love that idea even more. Now if I can get my stereo guy to find some speakers that can mount that way.

Small bluetooth speakers are out for me. I have tried them in the past with not much luck. Just sailing around, I like to be able to listen to football games on a Saturday or Sunday. During the summer when the wind isn't blowing and swimming and enjoying a few beverages is more the pace, friends seem to enjoy having some music around.

1984 Cat 25 FK/TR #4687
Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 11/07/2017 :  20:09:47  Show Profile
Sort of my pet peeve. I love music and sailing. I hate being forced to move, or stay put and listen to booming music when I'm on my sailboat. I use a I-pod for personal use and small portable docking speaker for down below when others on the boat want music. On every boat, but a 37 footer, that we have owned I had the speakers and built in stereos removed after purchase. Of course, I like the KISS theory when it comes to trailer sailor boats. Just another perspective from a old sailor.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

HerdOfTurtles
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 11/08/2017 :  09:17:32  Show Profile  Visit HerdOfTurtles's Homepage
I think portable bluetooth speakers have evolved to the point where they are the best option for boats our size.

I too have had poor experiences with them in the past, everyone I know has one and for the most part they are cheap and sound terrible.

Except one friend. He blew a bunch of money on a Beats Pill+ and brought it aboard one trip. It was downright impressive the sound coming out of that speaker.

I would give the newer, larger bluetooth speakers a shot before taking the plunge into a stereo system.

On the cheaper side I would look at an AOMAIS GO:
Waterproof, claiming 30 watts, designed for better bass, integrated handle, floats, 30 hours playtime at 1/2 volume. I guarantee it's loud enough you can't hold a conversation in the cockpit(I have the 20 watt AOMAIS). You can also get two and pair them for 60 watts stereo.

https://www.amazon.com/AOMAIS-Bluetooth-Speakers-Waterproof-Portable/dp/B071H8MJ99/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510157350&sr=8-1&keywords=aomais+go

On the expensive side I would look at the UE Megaboom:
I have two UE minibooms and I can tell you they are quality speakers. They are only 2.5 watts but they sound clean and about as loud as other cheap 10 watt speakers.

https://www.amazon.com/MEGABOOM-Charcoal-Bluetooth-Waterproof-Shockproof/dp/B00TXBOWVA/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1510157191&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=UE+Boom&psc=1

Anyway I would try one of the above and if you aren't convinced, just return it. Easy peasy.

1978 Standard Rig
Fin Keel
L-Dinette
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 11/08/2017 :  18:33:32  Show Profile
Bluetooth is good, but a stereo deck is in my opinion the best option. I have a small hole in the bulkhead under the forward sink in the head facing the main cabin for the stereo. Hanging indoor outdoor speakers from the main cabin bulkhead. My favorite spot for exterior speakers is in the comings just behind the pockets. I did remove one if them for a tiller pilot. Not sure if it would have caused interference, but better safe than sorry. I use that channel for a more portable center channel type speaker. Any ways works for me.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 11/09/2017 :  06:15:16  Show Profile
I used an "under dash stereo mount" similar to this one:

I mounted it on the ceiling of the quarterberth. In that location, I could make adjustments from outside.

Similar to the photo from Mr.Hopper, I also had speakers like these mounted on the bulkhead:

With the companionway open, the sound in the cabin could be heard outside well enough that I never mounted any outside speakers.

Edited to add that we have a SiriusXM radio with a simple "auto type" antenna. Works great, can even get radio stations deep in the Everglades where there isn't even any cellular signals.

Edited by - Davy J on 11/09/2017 06:26:03
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 11/09/2017 :  07:42:08  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by ryank020

Pastmember- Love that idea even more. Now if I can get my stereo guy to find some speakers that can mount that way.

/quote]

The speakers are boat speakers, probably Pyles but the second photo is to show you that I used Wheel Steering brace clamps screwed to the speaker case so they would mount on the stern rail. All the toys they make for the big boy wheel set-ups use clamps that fit our 1" rails. I always found stuff on Ebay but I think the golden days of Ebay are over, individuals and small shops clearing out weird stuff seem to have been driven out by retail using Ebay.

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page