Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Nonskid mold or pattern template
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

yachtsea
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
73 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/07/2017 :  14:31:56  Show Profile
Hi,

I have several areas topside I would like to repair. Most of them are only 1-2mm deep so will likely only need some Marine-Tex (open to suggestions) but I don't want a smooth spot in the middle of the nonskid. YouTube University has several examples of a "mold" that mirrors the pattern and you apply that mold over your repair and let it set. This produces a convincing factory outcome; however, I'm not seeing which molds (patterns apparently have specific numbers to ID) apply to a 1986 Catalina 25 (for example).

Thanks,

Carl

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 11/07/2017 :  18:29:04  Show Profile
Carl, If the areas are not too big You can cut the pattern into the Marine Tex with a dremmel.Use a cutting wheel on the side to lightly cut the grooves/pattern.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 11/07/2017 :  18:44:53  Show Profile
Here's a link to an online discussion of different ways that you can make your own mold. https://www.catalina36.org/forum/technical-discussion/reverse-mold-non-skid-deck-pattern

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 11/07/2017 :  19:15:07  Show Profile
I filled small areas, let start to set and drug a flat toothpick through it. I have the same plan as Scott suggests for couple of slightly larger areas. For a mold, thoroughly wax an area of good non-skid and cover it with a quarter inch or more of silicone calk. Peel it off when cured for a good mold.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

yachtsea
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
73 Posts

Response Posted - 11/07/2017 :  19:38:30  Show Profile
Hi All,

Fast and informative as usual. Hadn't thought about tooling such a small area, good idea. I did see the mold creation online and a couple references to PVA? PolyVinyl Alcohol for an easy treatment/removal on surroundings. Anyone use it?

Carl
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1739 Posts

Response Posted - 11/08/2017 :  14:49:21  Show Profile
One other inexpensive possible option is to use a rough paint roller & roller cover, such as is used to apply Kiwigrip, when you put the Marine-Tex down so it creates a non skid surface in at least some sort of pattern.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

yachtsea
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
73 Posts

Response Posted - 11/08/2017 :  15:22:02  Show Profile
Hi Bigelowp, I can appreciate inexpensive, for sure, although in honor of this boat's preservation, I'm going to go for broke on matching.
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 11/09/2017 :  08:28:53  Show Profile

dead lights are nice

Frank Hopper

Edited by - pastmember on 11/09/2017 08:32:18
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5236 Posts

Response Posted - 11/09/2017 :  20:57:38  Show Profile
You could create a mold using plaster of paris provided you can get all the air bubbles out. If you have a good section of nonskid somewhere on the top sides, plaster of Paris can be used to create a square or rectangular area of mold about the same size and shape as the portion you want to replace, then if you put down some Marine Tex, you can spray wax into the mold and stamp the pattern onto a corresponding new Marine Tex surface before it kicks.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page