Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Shaft length for outboard?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hbushey
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
29 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/22/2018 :  22:05:44  Show Profile
When we bought our boat, we knew we had to go shopping for a new outboard, as the motor which was offered for sale didn't meet the emissions requirements for Lake Tahoe.

So we're going with a Honda 9.9 but aren't sure if the 25" shaft is an absolute requirement. We're leaning towards the 25" just because it would ensure having prop in the water in the most rough conditions.

Just wanted to survey other C-25 owners. If it matters, we have a TR/WK

Heather and Scott
“Respite”
1989 C-25 TR/WK

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 02/22/2018 :  22:45:43  Show Profile
You'll be happy to have the 25" shaft vs. a shorter shaft. My motor has a 25" shaft. On an inland lake with minimal wave height, we still run into prop ventilation issues if we have too much weight forward or are motoring across powerboat wakes. I wish our motor had a longer shaft.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/

Edited by - sethp001 on 02/22/2018 22:50:33
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2018 :  08:21:04  Show Profile
Absolutely 25" (XL). Also consider paying a couple of boat-units less for the 8hp high-thrust model, which is the same engine as the 9.9 in all respects except the cam timing (according to a Honda corp. rep I talked to). He recommended it for better low-end torque on a heavy displacement hull. The 9.9 is cammed for more high-rpm HP, better for a planing hull like an inflatable dinghy. Mine had more than adequate power for my C-25. (Imagine a company guy recommending a less expensive model!)

Most notably, compared to the older Honda it replaced, when maneuvering into a slip, that high-thrust Honda 8 would stop our C-25 as if she'd run into a pillow.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 02/23/2018 08:37:26
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2018 :  09:11:22  Show Profile
Hondas are very good motors, but there are other very fine motors that you should consider. You should also look at the Tohatsu 6 hp Sailpro. Small Mercury, Nissan and Evinrude motors are made by Tohatsu and sold under their own brands. The Sailpro comes with a 25" shaft, a high-thrust prop, and a 5 amp alternator, weighs a mere 55 lbs and gets the most amazing fuel economy I've ever seen in a small outboard motor. It's reliable, easy starting and pushes my Cal 25 smartly. If you really think you need more power, Tohatsu makes a 9.8 with 25" shaft. I had a 1979 Merc. 7.5 on my C25 and it had more power than I ever needed. The best part is that the cost of a Tohatsu is significantly less than a Honda.

My suggestion is that you search the web for reviews and owners' opinions, and compare the pros and cons of both.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 02/23/2018 09:21:24
Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2018 :  20:36:10  Show Profile
We are Nevada City, CA and have the Tohatsu 9.8 long shaft and never had problems with length performance in SF Bay or Lake Tahoe. Our previous C22 wing keel had a new 6hp long shaft and we loved it too. IMHO go Tohatsu for price and performance. We bought both motors from online outboards, free shipping and 3 day delivery to AZ.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5232 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2018 :  22:20:47  Show Profile
As you're not dealing with strong tidal currents it's probably best to buy the least cost and least weight engine you can. Since speed is limited in a sailboat by hull speed not horsepower if a 6 hp can push you at 5.6 kts then you're golden.
I love the power of the 8hp Honda for my maritime waters and because the reverse can stop me on a dime. But when I have to lug a 110# engine around I don't love it so much!

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 02/24/2018 :  07:05:42  Show Profile
Look around at what comparable size boats use on your lake. If many use a 6hp and are happy then a 6 would be a big cost savings. If you still prefer a little more power then the 8 is more than enough and would still cost less than the 9.9
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5232 Posts

Response Posted - 02/24/2018 :  07:44:23  Show Profile
You know Scott you're right. While there may be little or no currents, you may need the extra horsepower due to windage. It reminds me of a time I was out on my 16 footer Voyager when suddenly 30-40 kt gusts came up outta nowhere. My little 3 hp Seagull 40 Plus was barely keeping up at full throttle as I motored back directly to windward.
It was a long trip across a short distance!
If possible though make sure the engine has an alternator to recharge your battery. Saved my bacon a few times. And electric start is great too, but that's truly a nicety

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 02/24/2018 07:50:24
Go to Top of Page

HappyNow
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
99 Posts

Response Posted - 02/25/2018 :  11:19:00  Show Profile
Welcome to Tahoe. Where do you keep your boat? You definitely need the long shaft. Combination of 2-3 foot waves and wakeboard boats doesn't always keep the long shaft deep enough. Plus, you want to have enough power to head back from the middle of the lake to the West Shore (if that's where you keep the boat) on days when the wind kicks up to 20-25 unexpectedly.

Michael Levin
Sailin' on Sunshine
C250 #402 WK
Lake Tahoe
Go to Top of Page

hbushey
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
29 Posts

Response Posted - 02/28/2018 :  23:33:51  Show Profile
After much back and forth research, we put a deposit on a Honda BF8 power thrust with electric start and 25" shaft. Took the advice about the price difference between the 8 and 9.9.

Boat will hopefully be moored at Camp Richardson on the south shore... if we can get a buoy for the season. But they're expecting 4 feet of snow over the next few days...

Heather and Scott
“Respite”
1989 C-25 TR/WK
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/01/2018 :  05:08:11  Show Profile
Good choice, You won't regret it.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/01/2018 :  07:12:55  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Good choice, You won't regret it.
Bruce and I agree! (I personally had virtually no need to "lug it around.")

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page