Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Goose neck for Catalina 25
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pthatcher
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
14 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/24/2018 :  08:07:15  Show Profile  Visit pthatcher's Homepage
Hey,

I've lost the slide that goes in the mast, from the boom. Does anyone know which one I should buy for a replacement & where's the best place to get one from? Or should a buy a whole new goose neck & slide?

Thanks
Paul

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 02/24/2018 :  08:18:27  Show Profile
Does this look like what you're missing? Part #: D1142 Price: $29.68 at Catalina direct. https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/292/gooseneck-slide-only.cfm

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 02/24/2018 :  09:20:58  Show Profile
we keep a spare in our parts box every since my husband and friends, sailing the Carquinez Straights in San Francisco Bay, CA, and suffering from a uncontrolled jibe.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

pthatcher
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
14 Posts

Response Posted - 02/24/2018 :  18:36:28  Show Profile  Visit pthatcher's Homepage
I'm not sure, that's the part I saw when I looked it up. But I don't remember seeing that part when we took the mast down.

I just bought the boat. We had to tow it from FT Lauderdale to Miami.
I think it was along that journey that we last the part.

Just want to make sure I'm getting the right piece.

Thanks for your help!

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

Does this look like what you're missing? Part #: D1142 Price: $29.68 at Catalina direct. https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/292/gooseneck-slide-only.cfm

Go to Top of Page

pthatcher
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
14 Posts

Response Posted - 02/24/2018 :  18:41:33  Show Profile  Visit pthatcher's Homepage
That sounds like a good plan:)

quote:
Originally posted by Sailynn

we keep a spare in our parts box every since my husband and friends, sailing the Carquinez Straights in San Francisco Bay, CA, and suffering from a uncontrolled jibe.

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 02/24/2018 :  19:08:53  Show Profile
If you'll look at sailynn's signature at the bottom of her post, you'll see that she includes her hull number, model year, type of rig and type of keel. When you ask a question, that gives us information that might help us. For future reference, you should add it to your signature.

In this case, earlier C25s had a sliding gooseneck, and later versions had a fixed gooseneck. I think it's a reasonable guess that the above gooseneck is the type that was on your boat, because it's unlikely that the fixed gooseneck would have been lost in transport.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

pthatcher
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
14 Posts

Response Posted - 02/25/2018 :  07:20:07  Show Profile  Visit pthatcher's Homepage
Thanks for the info. I'll look up all that info when I go down to my boat next week.

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

If you'll look at sailynn's signature at the bottom of her post, you'll see that she includes her hull number, model year, type of rig and type of keel. When you ask a question, that gives us information that might help us. For future reference, you should add it to your signature.

In this case, earlier C25s had a sliding gooseneck, and later versions had a fixed gooseneck. I think it's a reasonable guess that the above gooseneck is the type that was on your boat, because it's unlikely that the fixed gooseneck would have been lost in transport.

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 02/25/2018 :  11:15:56  Show Profile
Following up on Steve's good point, the Hull Identification Number on your registration and insurance documents contains two useful items--the hull number (characters 5-8), and the model year (the last two digits or the two before the last letter). The keel (Swing, Fin or Wing) is obvious... The rig is not quite as obvious: the standard (SR) mast is 28' long and about 3-1/8" wide, and the tall is 30' and 3-3/8" wide. You can put all of this in the "Signature" field in your Profile, as most regulars here have done.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 02/25/2018 11:17:34
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 02/27/2018 :  23:29:56  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage

Here's a suggestion, to avoid a problem I caught before it broke something. The gooseneck assembly doesn't fit properly. When the boom is hard over to just before it hits the aft lower shrouds, the boom end fitting binds against the slider and stresses the hinge. In the first picture below, the two components are assembled and you can see how the pivot arm is in contact with the body of the slider.

In the second picture you can easily see the worn area on the back edge of the recess behind the hinge pin. The boom was, in effect, prying the hinge off to the side. There's enough slop in the mast track for the slider to shift to one side or the other, but judging by how deep a depression was worn in my old slider, there must still have been a lot of force bearing where it shouldn't have.

The third picture shows how I relieved that area to prevent metal-to-metal contact. It was easy to do with common hand tools (files & sandpaper).

I don't know how much farther the damage could have progressed before something gave way, but as an engineer when I see major evidence of wear I see a red flag demanding attention.

Just another thing to think about, but now would be a good time for you to do something about it, Paul.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3370 Posts

Response Posted - 02/28/2018 :  04:40:48  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
There is another potential wear point. I forget which stud/pin it is but on my boom, the stud/pin has a self locking nut (nylon). The stud is a bit long and so when hard over, the stud comes in contact with the mast. Over many years, probably life of boat, the end of the stud from contact with the mast, the force eventually wore the nylon in the self-locking nut away and the stud just fell off the boom. A shorter stud/pin, would minimize this issue with compromise be that hardly any or no threads would protrude past the nut, however, I had a hard time finding a stud/pin of same diameter but just a bit shorter, My thought is that if it took over 20 years for the nut to get wasted, I certainly could live with a replacement nut for another 20 years before a change-out. So, I just replaced the nut with another self-locking one.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 02/28/2018 :  14:04:50  Show Profile
Lee, That interference problem with the gooseneck could really do some damage. Possibly let CD know?

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page