Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Catalina 25 - outboard?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pthatcher
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
14 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/25/2018 :  07:38:41  Show Profile  Visit pthatcher's Homepage
One more question.......I have hundreds:)

What size outboard should I look for to move my boat?

Is 9hp enough of an engine?

Thanks!

BKPC25
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
74 Posts

Response Posted - 02/25/2018 :  07:56:11  Show Profile
I have a 9.9 Mercury Sailpower. It is plenty strong. If you have the extra cash and don't need to motor too much...you might consider an electric motor. No pollution, much less hastle, almost zero maintenance.

1973 C22 #1803 "Baby Adalynne"
(1979 C25 #1389 "Adalynne")
Instagram: #sailingadalynne
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCQCd-egRgoAJi6fUvgEvI_A
Lake Travis, Austin, TX
Go to Top of Page

TEM58
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 02/25/2018 :  08:23:40  Show Profile
Part of the answer depends on where you sail. If you are somewhere with strong currents or open water, you’ll need the larger motor. If I recall correctly 10hp is about the largest recommended (check the owner’s manual). I originally had a 5, and there were times it struggled against strong winds. Replaced it with an 8 and it was perfect. I’m on an inland lake however with almost zero current. Do a search on this site and you’ll find several discussions about outboards. There are other variables besides power ratings that affect performance— shaft length and prop pitch for example.

Consider also that heavier motors require a different mount than lighter motors. Whatever you decide make sure you have an appropriate mount. Take a look at Catalina direct for information on weight vs number of springs. The mounts are pricey, but worth every penny.

Tim M
“Perfect Match II”
2003 C350 #35
Cruising FL
PO "Wine Down"
2000 C250 WK #453
PO "Perfect Match"
1983 C25 SR/SK #3932
Lake Belton
Belton, TX
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 02/25/2018 :  10:29:41  Show Profile
8 - 9.9 is all you need. We always recommend an extra-long (25") shaft unless you're sailing on a pond. My 8 hp XL Honda pushed the boat at 5.5 knot cruising speed at 1/2 - 2/3 throttle, and handled strong winds and big Long Island Sound chop. A few folks have put 15 hp motors on, but no motor short of about 90 hp will push a C-25 past about 6 knots, so save the weight and fuel.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 02/25/2018 :  13:01:31  Show Profile
9.9 hp is fine. Most hp outboard I ever had was a 20hp on my old 23 Dutchcraft after my 6hp wasn't enough. The 20 was for the Zodiac and I threw it on the sailboat to get through the Wapoo cut against the tides. I was in Charleston SC with very fast currents with the tides.

Erik Cornelison
6th Generation Professional Sailor, First Gen Submarine Sailor.
1986 Standard Rig SW. #5234
Go to Top of Page

BKPC25
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
74 Posts

Response Posted - 02/25/2018 :  13:43:03  Show Profile
Also, besides horse power...the weight is something to consider. My 9.9hp previously mentioned is about 130# and is slightly heeling te boat port side, since it is mounted offset because of the transom mounted rudder. The mount the boat came with while under sail doesn't lift out the motor prop all the wasy on starboard tack so it creates a slight drag and make the prop spin.

1973 C22 #1803 "Baby Adalynne"
(1979 C25 #1389 "Adalynne")
Instagram: #sailingadalynne
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCQCd-egRgoAJi6fUvgEvI_A
Lake Travis, Austin, TX
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 02/25/2018 :  14:46:04  Show Profile
The engine that you need depends on how you'll use it. If you're on an inland lake with no significant currents, and you only need an engine to get in and out of your marina, or, if you don't need to exceed about 5 1/2 kts under way, then a 6 hp will be enough. If you are on a big bay, with strong winds and choppy waves, and tidal currents, then up to a 9.9 hp is reasonable.

A sailboat has a displacement hull. It has a maximum hull speed that cannot be exceeded without an inordinate expenditure of power. C25 hull speed is 6.3 kts. An 8-9.9 hp engine will push the boat to hull speed. That's the most powerful engine the boat was designed to use. You can use a bigger engine, but you should reinforce the transom if you do. If you use a bigger engine, it might gain 1/3 or optimistically a half kt. When you buy a bigger engine, the initial cost increases, along with the cost of repair and maintenance, and the fuel consumption. The question is, how often does 1/3-1/2 kt matter to you, and how important is it to you?

If you run against a 7 kt current, you aren't likely to make headway against it, regardless of the size of motor on your C25. I once got stopped by a 7.5 kt current on a 38' boat with a 55 hp Perkins diesel engine, and with the throttle pushed to the stop. If that happens, your only recourse is to anchor and wait for the current to abate, which will usually happen in a few hours. An unplanned delay isn't the worst thing that could happen, as long as you have a book or deck of cards onboard.

My Cal 25 has a 6 hp Tohatsu, and it pushes the boat to between 5.5 and 5.7 kts on the Chesapeake Bay. When motoring long distances, 5.6 kts is a comfortable speed for the boat. When I make the 40 minute trip from my marina to the racing area, my speed is about the same as most of the other racers. At the starting area, I can easily remove my 55 lb. motor and stow it in the cabin, even though I'm not as strong as I was when I was seventy.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

pthatcher
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
14 Posts

Response Posted - 02/25/2018 :  21:12:35  Show Profile  Visit pthatcher's Homepage
Hey, thanks a lot everyone. This is all very new & this has helped me a lot in my search, it's good to know 9hp is enough, as the price quickly increases above that.

Thanks
Paul
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 02/26/2018 :  11:19:06  Show Profile
If you're thinking about a Honda, look at what I said about 8 vs. 9.9 in this thread. A popular alternative in this group is the Tohatsu 9.8 4-stroke, which is maybe 15 lbs. lighter than the Honda, a little less expensive, has about half the battery charging power, and doesn't have the high-thrust option of the Honda. Some other brands in this category like Mercury, Evinrude and Nissan are rebranded Tohatsus. So it could come down to where you can get service and parts.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

michaelbrayden
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
18 Posts

Response Posted - 02/26/2018 :  12:17:41  Show Profile
Replaced ours last year. Went with Yamaha 9.9, extra long shaft, electric state and auto tilt. Weights 100 lbs. Live in PDX OR, Yamaha is the dominant brand, by far. Enjoys a great reputation for reliability. Personally, I'd go with the most common brand for service in your area.

Michael Brayden
Go to Top of Page

pthatcher
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
14 Posts

Response Posted - 02/27/2018 :  20:42:42  Show Profile  Visit pthatcher's Homepage
This has been a great help. I have been super lucky, my buddies found me a 15hp engine for free. It came off a friends boat & he let me have it.
It might be a little big, from what you have all said, but it's free!
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3370 Posts

Response Posted - 02/28/2018 :  04:16:55  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Did it come with gas ?

Only kidding

Great news !!

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page