Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 trailer brakes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cat25
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
140 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/02/2018 :  14:40:24  Show Profile
Thinking of putting new brakes on my trailer. Maybe possibly converting to disc brakes. Has anyone done this and what are your thoughts. thanks, Ken

Ken
Chenango~
1990~TR~WK~C25~#6022
Candlewood Lake, Ct

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 04/02/2018 :  15:59:15  Show Profile
Been there, done that. If you have the budget, do it. Its not exactly a cheap project. My trailer had busted drums on one axle. Not a huge deal because my F250 could stop it anyway. I never pulled it far and never had to do an emergency brake, so I can't say if it would stop in time or not.

I went with the disks because they are easy to wash down after being dunked in salt, and I went with both axles because Florida requires it. You will get a ticket if you get near the keys without brakes on all axles. At least that’s what the locals told me.

I got the etrailer hydraulic dual axle disk conversion kit. I ended up getting a couple extra rubber lines and one really long rubber line for the tongue (extendable). I ran mine a bit different than the kit was laid out for. The kit was laid out for one rubber line per axle. I ran mine with a rubber line per wheel. Overall, the kit was great. Had pretty much everything I needed. Still had to get some misc bolts and such. I destroyed the backing plate bolts so new ones were in order.

Go ahead and buy a cheap brake line bender and a double flare kit. Practice the double flares until you are good with them. Its not a hard skill to pick up. Steel brake lines are cheap. Just cut, bend, and flare the size and shape you need. The hardest part was bleeding the brakes. Its not as easy as pressing a brake pedal.

I’m glad I did it. Took me a weekend and a few evenings. Had to do bits of drilling on the trailer to get it all to work. The trailer brakes itself now. I can downshift and feel

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/02/2018 :  21:15:52  Show Profile
When I had extensive work done on my previous trailer, the manager suggested changing to discs but was willing to just rebuild the drums. He suggested that drum brakes only work until their first dip in saltwater or a few dips in fresh. Repeated heating of wet steel is not a good way to extend its life. There is also the issue of regularly adjusting drums. The way I stop with my new trailer equipped with discs on both axles makes me believe that he was correct. A trailer that meets the requirements of its state of registration and the residence of the owner is legal for transport in other states. Maximum width is a completely different issue. I'm not convinced that brakes on the back axle contribute that much, but it doesn't hurt. I have them because my trailer was built by a shop in Florida.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

cat25
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
140 Posts

Response Posted - 04/03/2018 :  10:36:22  Show Profile
Thanks for all the info. I did check into etrailer.com, but the items I needed and the best prices were at Eastern Marine Trailer Parts online.
I ended up ordering the disc brakes, new hubs and a new actuator.

Ken
Chenango~
1990~TR~WK~C25~#6022
Candlewood Lake, Ct
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page