Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Enlighten me
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Charlie Vick
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
423 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/08/2003 :  14:23:11  Show Profile
Gorgeous weekend of sailing. Got in 60 miles, 35 yesterday alone. Winds yesterday were 15-20 gusting to 30, pushing 60 degrees, couldn't have asked for anything more. About halfway though yesterdays sail I stopped in a marina to take a break and eat some lunch. Its the big money marina on this lake and about the only other place sailboats dock. Out of probably 20 boats 12 of them are Catalinas. Four 22's, three 25's, Two 27's, one 28 and two 30's. All of them were in pristine condition too. I was glad no one was there to see what sorry shape mine is in. Then I started think, whats wrong with this picture? Perfect sailing wind, perfect sailing weather and these boats are sitting at the dock with no one on them! So whats up with that? I sail on this lake most every weekend and I've only seen three of these boats out on the water. One, a Hobie 33 mono, really cool looking boat was out but he wasn't sailing just motoring around. He said it was too much trouble to put the sails up so he just motors. I started thinking again about all those sailors up north chomping at the bit to get back on the water and here these boats sit. I know its none of my business what these people do with their boats it just seems like such a waste. I know several people with sailboats who just like to talk about them rather than actually going to the trouble and effort to get out and sail them so maybe thats the case. They sure look purdy though.
OK now I feel better.
On a different note, I figured out this weekend, in sailing, a destination is just an excuse for the journey.

CVick
PanaceaII '81 C25 #2439 SRSK
Fort Smith, AR

CVick

Edited by - Charlie Vick on 12/08/2003 14:30:21

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 12/08/2003 :  14:46:52  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">...whats wrong with this picture? Perfect sailing wind, perfect sailing weather and these boats are sitting at the dock with no one on them! So whats up with that? I sail on this lake most every weekend and I've only seen three of these boats out on the water.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The Corps of Engineers drastically lowers the level of our lake during the winter, and, except for a very expensive marina, all other lake services are discontinued, including security. Some of our docks are dry, or nearly so, so we have to pull our boats for the winter. Owners of some small trailerables launch their boats for the day, bundled up and sipping hot coffee in the cockpits, and take their boats home at the end of the day. Wearing scuba diver's wet suits, a friend and I sailed a Hobie 16 in January, with snow flying and ice on the edges of the lake, and it was one of the most fun days ever. With no power boats around, the surface of the lake is smooth, and the winter wind is fresh, and the boat really goes! It wouldn't be much fun on those bitterly cold days, but on most days, when the sun is out, taking the edge off the cold, winter sailing is the best. Enjoy!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Beamer
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1038 Posts

Response Posted - 12/08/2003 :  15:10:26  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">winter sailing is the best. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I most definitely agree. The crazy people can have the lake June, July and August. I personally feel summer is not as fun to sail, at least not on our lake, so a lot of the time Daylight Again turns into a summer time condo on the water. I grew up only sailing May thru the 2nd week of October now that I can sail all year round I LOVE THE WINTER. I’m sure I wouldn’t be saying this if I couldn’t sail during the winter months.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

lcharlot
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Antigua and Barbuda
1301 Posts

Response Posted - 12/08/2003 :  15:52:33  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
The Corps of Engineers drastically lowers the level of our lake during the winter,
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

It's the same at Folsom Lake. Bureau of Reclamation starts dropping the water level a lot in November to set up the lake for maximum flood control capacity during the winter rainy season, so in most years slip renters have to haul out no later than December 1st, and in bad years as early as mid-September! And there is no refund of the annual $1050 slip fee due to low water level causing the marina to have to close prematurely. But I agree that Spring and Autumn are wonderful sailing seasons on inland lakes. When the air and water temp is below 60ºF, there are few powerboaters on the water and we sailors get the lake pretty much to ourselves.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 12/08/2003 :  17:11:42  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Charlie Vick</i>
<br />...whats wrong with this picture? Perfect sailing wind, perfect sailing weather and these boats are sitting at the dock with no one on them! So whats up with that? I sail on this lake most every weekend and I've only seen three of these boats out on the water. One, a Hobie 33 mono, really cool looking boat was out but he wasn't sailing just motoring around. He said it was too much trouble to put the sails up so he just motors. I started thinking again about all those sailors up north chomping at the bit to get back on the water and here these boats sit. I know its none of my business what these people do with their boats it just seems like such a waste. I know several people with sailboats who just like to talk about them rather than actually going to the trouble and effort to get out and sail them so maybe thats the case.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The scenario you are describing, wherein boats just sit in their slips on nice days, probably goes on at most marinas, because it sure happens at my marina.

From observations at my marina, I've concluded that there are 4 types of sailors slipped here,...squatters, dabblers, casuals, and your hardcore sailors.

Squatters are the ones who drop their boats in and never take them out. They are content to just lounge at the dock. My marina has about 4 sailboats who are squatters including one C25.

Dabblers are those who dabble in sailing when they have nothing else better to do and probably sail less than 10 times a season. At my marina we have quite a few of this type with my slip mate being one of them. By my count he went out a total of maybe three times in 6 months. Another C25 owner at the marina falls into this category as well, with them going out maybe 3 or 4 times during the entire season.

Casuals are those who try and go out when they can, but only if the weather is pleasant, which is probably the case with the vast majority of sailors. They will go out maybe once a week or every other week, usually on the weekend, but only in favorable weather.

Then you have the hardcore sailors, which at my marina there are two, me and a friend with a Hunter 28. We go out every chance we get, morning, noon, night, sunny, cloudy, rainy, cold, hot, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday,...etc. During the last month of the season, I tend to go out every day even if its only for an hour.

What it all boils down to is, just as there are all kinds of sailboats, there are also all kinds of sailors, and if we were all hardcore sailors then the lakes would sure be crowded.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Oscar
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2030 Posts

Response Posted - 12/08/2003 :  17:20:23  Show Profile  Visit Oscar's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">if we were all hardcore sailors then the lakes would sure be crowded.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Not to mention the bottom of the lake...some people barely survive the drive to the marina. It's a good thing they spend most of their time safely tied up. I feel many people own sailboats that should have bought a condo. Good news is, their purchases are the "mass" in mass production. Keeps our prices down. I guess you could say that they are subsidizing our sailing. Maybe we should be nice and thank them.

Oscar
250WB#618 Lady Kay on the Chesapeake

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Raskal
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
162 Posts

Response Posted - 12/08/2003 :  18:08:21  Show Profile
As a novice who got my new boat into the water late in the Summer I would take off on weekend afternoons from the Yacht dealer's dock in New London, Connecticut surrounded by big dormant Tartans, Island Packets, and the jumbo-size Catalina's; but out on the Thames river and down to the Lighthouses the only sailboats I ever seemed to see were Catalina 22's and 25's. There must be a character issue here...

Rich Kokoska

Edited by - Raskal on 12/08/2003 18:10:56
Go to Top of Page

Charlie Vick
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
423 Posts

Response Posted - 12/08/2003 :  18:30:00  Show Profile
"There must be a character issue here..."

That's the sad part cause most of these were Catalinas and in very good shape so you know they have spent a lot of effort and money on them.

"From observations at my marina, I've concluded that there are 4 types of sailors slipped here,...squatters, dabblers, casuals, and your hardcore sailors."

Thats what you would think would be the case here also and at least a few would show up.
I guess they must have lives other than sailing. I've heard of it but never really thought it was a viable option.

CVick
Fort Smith, AR

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

MattL
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
990 Posts

Response Posted - 12/08/2003 :  18:31:16  Show Profile
I would love to be a hard core sailor, but soccer, karate, T-Ball and all that stuff takes its tole. The elder is starting to get to the point where he wants to take more control of the boat, so I'm hoping to have him crew more often. Casey, 7 in 2days, was my only crew for our last race of the season and he loved it. Now I got to teache him to sail to a point rather than going in circles trying to get dad sick. But I degress.
I think of sailing as a enjoyment. I like to be on the boat sailing, or just putzing around. Most of the boats at our lake get out at least once a week. There are usually 20 to 30 boats in our weekly race, and the weekend finds quite a few out too. Every evening you can go out and there will be a few boats out. You got to remember my lake is very small, and it is obvious when boats are out. We also have a few that just stay in the slip. One is the bar boat. The owner of this boat is the crew for another on race night, and goes out sometimes on his, but every night he is there. Another belongs to an older fellow. Pete has been around for a number of years and has lots of good stories. His boat is there for him to go on and watch the sunset and relax with his wife. This is acceptable to all. Then we have another boat that is sailed a lot, perhaps too much. As was said before, each person has a right to treat his boat as he desires, and in there own minds justify if they are using it to its fullest, or are they wasting time. But then again it is their time to wast or utilize.
How's that for miscellaneous rambling.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimB517
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
3285 Posts

Response Posted - 12/08/2003 :  19:53:24  Show Profile  Visit JimB517's Homepage
In my marina the VAST majority of boats are never out - nice days, moderate days, miserable days. Most of the times I've never seen the owners. There is a correlation between size of the boat and the amount it is used - smaller the better. But then there is a C25 sitting on our dock dying of neglect - I've never seen anyone at that boat.

I am lucky to have 3 hard core sailors on my dock (I am one, along with Gary C25TR and Sal on a Cal 28). Then there are about 5 very nice and happy folks who use their boats as weekend condos (never leave the slip). Good for them. There are 55 others on my dock alone I've never laid eyes on.

There is a big disconnect between the dream and the reality of boat ownership. As the boat sits there, it gets dirty and things corrode. This makes it even less likely that the owners will come down on some nice day. As the spiral of neglect continues, the boat eventually has virtually no resale value and would take a ton of work to bring it back into good condition (or even useable condition) - engine won't run, sails shot, etc. So it is abandoned.

Funny, for me, I've bought decorations to light up my boat for the Christmas Parade. However, I have not bothered to decorate the house!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page