Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 What’s up with these centerboard bearing blocks?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Keith D.
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
233 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/17/2004 :  23:41:47  Show Profile
Having just got this boat I am still looking at it. I pulled the centerboard out to check the pulley and cable etc. Everything looked ok except the bearing blocks, which looked strange to me. Does anyone else’s look like this?

Any ideas why Catalina would have done this? I have checked the distance of the bolt holes for the blocks and they are the same on both sides. This looks too far off to be an accident.

The offset one needs to be on the port side. If I put it on the starboard side the center board will not come down all the way, it hits the front of the center board trunk. It seems to me that like this the centerboard will be out of line with the boat when it is down. (Good for turning one way I guess.) If they were just moving the position of the centerboard back you would think they would have drilled both of them offset the same.

As usual I haven’t been able to get any kind of reply from Catalina.

Keith
Southern California
250wb Hull #8

Edited by - on

Arlyn Stewart
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2980 Posts

Response Posted - 03/18/2004 :  07:43:19  Show Profile  Visit Arlyn Stewart's Homepage
My best guess is that it was done to align the center board with the trunk. Does the boat sail with a favored tack? If not and the board alignment provides good centering in the trunk... all is ok, put it back into the same side it came out. Be sure the boss is up.

I can see a possible problem if the center board is not drilled true... in such a case, getting the trunk alignment to work would result in an out of aligned board when down. However, if the anchor holes are out of alignment, the offcenter hole would be the fix and shouldn't pose any problem.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Keith D.
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
233 Posts

Response Posted - 03/18/2004 :  11:36:49  Show Profile
I have measured the anchor holes and they are the same on both sides. There is enough slop in the center board hole to allow the centerboard to go into the trunk with the offset block on either side. The hole in the center board looks square. It seemed to be a front to back problem in that the centerboard will not go down all the way if the offset block is put on the starboard side.
As far as, does it sail with a favored tack, I have only had the boat out three times in light wind and have not noticed if it favors a tack.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
181 Posts

Response Posted - 05/10/2004 :  21:16:07  Show Profile
I replaced the spacers last weekend and the blocks were bore on center both sides. Tested centerboard today along with my new "double" soft-link. Had to use balanced bungee on both sides to allow for additional rudder travel beyond motor travel. Worked quite well in 20 kts.

Edited by - 528 on 05/10/2004 22:52:45
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page