Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Oiling the teak on the 250
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Keith D.
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
233 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/26/2004 :  01:08:07  Show Profile
My question is how often does everyone oil the teak on their boats. On the newer boats is the teak smooth or does Catalina leave it ruff. Is their any luster to it?
I just spent the weekend pulling all of the teak out of the boat, sanding it down till it was as smooth as a baby’s bottom and oiling it again. From what I could see Catalina did not do much sanding. The saw marks were still on a lot of the pieces. Also I noted that it was originally oiled after everything was put into the boat.
I do not know if it has ever been oiled on my boat and after 10 years the grain was lifting and most of the color was lost. It was a lot of work but it sure looks great now.
So how often will I need to oil it down to keep it in shape? I don’t really want to take it all out of the boat and sand it down again.

Keith
Southern California
250wb Hull #8

Edited by - on

cathluk
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
513 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2004 :  21:38:25  Show Profile
I just wipe all the wood down with teak oil once or twice a year. The grain is lifting some (or maybe it just wasn't sanded well to start with), but the color is still good.

We do have a problem with some splitting at the bottom of the wall below where the hatch cover stores, but that is the result of some spilled damp-rid that settled along the floor edge & caused the wood to absorb moisture.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Keith D.
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
233 Posts

Response Posted - 04/28/2004 :  21:44:33  Show Profile
Cathy thanks for your input. If we get some input from one of the new boat owners we may find out if the teak starts off smooth or ruff. My teak was very dry, with what little teak is on these boats it drank up a pint of oil and stll could take more.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Docsparker
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
9 Posts

Response Posted - 05/01/2004 :  19:01:40  Show Profile
Keith,

I just took delivery on a new 250 WB #786 this past week. The teak does not shine like I have seen oiled teak before. It appears to have a flat luster teak stain. The wood is fairly smooth, but there are some rough areas in a few places. I will probably remove and oil it as you have done. I enjoy the look of recently oiled teak.
I am in the process of sealing, lubricating, and inspecting everything prior to its first launch in a few weeks.
John Parker
"Boat So New It Doesn't Have a Name Yet"

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sailgal
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
400 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2004 :  18:52:38  Show Profile
Doc congrats on the new boat!!! I can't believe the 250 is up to hull number 786! Again congrats and good luck and fair winds.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Docsparker
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
9 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2004 :  19:12:35  Show Profile
Thanks for the kind words Suzie, your posts regarding 'Tropical Sleigh' have been much appreciated, I especially like your bimini photos. I'm in Apopka just outside Orlando, not quite sure where you are, west coast, Tampa/St.Pete?? Hope I can someday meet up with you and other 25/250 owners in the future. Maybe next year we can get into that Jacksonville race where the sling shots and water balloons are legal!!!!

Only 998 more posts to go-- watch out Oscar!!!

John Parker

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ben - FL
Admiral

Members Avatar

880 Posts

Response Posted - 05/06/2004 :  19:43:44  Show Profile  Visit Ben - FL's Homepage
For Cathy,
Damp Rid is some really nasty stuff. I had a container on Chick-a-pea under the dinette and returned to find it spilled over because of wave action. It went into the bilge and onto the keel bolts were it appeared to be corroding them. It took for ever to get the stuff removed. I would never put it on my boat again. All I do is prop the locker hatches open so the air moves around a bit and haven't had any problem. And it is very humid here in N. FL. Think I might look up the MSDS (material safety data sheet) on the stuff.

Edited by - Ben - FL on 05/06/2004 20:01:46
Go to Top of Page

sailgal
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
400 Posts

Response Posted - 05/11/2004 :  10:48:06  Show Profile
Hey John, Tropical Sleigh and I are located on the west coast...South Sarasota, which is below St Pete. Jacksonville would be quite a long sail for me...no trailer. I'd have to do the Lake Okeechobee crossing and sail north (sounds fun actually).
If I could manage to put that type of time together I'd love to join the Conch cruisers (http://www.conchcruisers.net) down in the Keys some day....or perhaps get a 250/25 trip together down south.
Keep posting, all info shared on this site is fantasic...educational and often entertaining!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

frog0911
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1349 Posts

Response Posted - 05/11/2004 :  22:03:10  Show Profile
John, we would like to have you come up and join in on the race. I assume of course, that with the WB model you will be doing some trailering around at least the state. Do you plan on keeping your boat at Lake Apopka or at the house? I have a daughter who gave up teaching, after 14 years, and now works as a Lead Instructor for Seaworld so we take frequent trips down in that area to see whats new at the Bush Parks. Especially since it is FREE.
The General is hot to get crusing, but I keep telling her the boat is not ready for that yet and lately she is never home long enough to go anyway. She has been travelling a bunch lately and leaves again tomorrow. She wants to go down the state and across to Ft. Myers then to Cabbage Key and Southseas Plantation. Of course that total trip will be three weeks. So Suzie start planning your vacation now for the first weekend in May 2005.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sailgal
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
400 Posts

Response Posted - 05/11/2004 :  23:55:08  Show Profile
Sounds great Frog! I'm planning a five day trip in either June or July heading south (depending on the visiting family and friends vacations). Gonna stay at the Palm Island Marina then move on further south to the South Seas Plantation Resort. Heard it is a very nice place...and the marina fees include all the resort amenities. I'll fill you in after the trip. I'm still trying to figure out a full cockpit enclosure for possible mid summer storms that come and go in minutes. The 250 sure wasn't designed with a dodger or enclosure in mind. More to be revealed.... I'm determined!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

frog0911
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1349 Posts

Response Posted - 05/12/2004 :  00:10:17  Show Profile
South Seas is great, but be sure and make your docking reservations now for June or July. They fill up pretty quick in the summer. In the winter reservations will need to be made at least six months in advance. You are correct about including all amenities. The last time I was there the fees were $2.50 per foot per night. That was a few years ago and I am sure they have gone up by now. The one constant is you will love it and not want to leave.
I am still trying to figure out how I can get a bimini to cover the entire cockpit while under sail and pass the split backstay with a window in it without sending me to the poor house.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page