Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Catalina Smile ??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bill Sloane
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
91 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/10/2007 :  23:28:06  Show Profile
Does anyone know about a Catalina smile? It is a smile shaped crack in the hull adjacent to the keel. I am about to decide whether or not to buy a bigger Catalina (blasphemy I know) and the surveyor has told me that the boat has a Catalina smile. He says it is common and can be sanded and sealed.

Bill Sloane
Suede Shoes C-25 SR/SK No. 496

Edited by - on

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Response Posted - 04/11/2007 :  08:37:52  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage
Torque the keel bolts, seal and sand, then the smile is on you instead of the boat. It is never blasphemy to move on, if the Catalina 25 was a crappy boat you would not have learned to love sailing, thank your little boat and go.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 04/11/2007 :  09:18:05  Show Profile
I don't know why they call it a Catalina smile, because other boats with bolt-on keels have them too. Before I bought my current boat, I looked at a C&C 38 that had one, and the broker told me the same thing - don't worry about it. It's no big deal. You have to question it when a broker tells you that, because he wants to sell the boat. It's usually caused by a boat that has been grounded hard at enough speed to move the keel slightly. If the keel moves far enough, it can break the watertight seal between the hull and keel, and that can be a major problem on a big boat. The smile on the boat that I was looking at had been repaired with epoxy, and the repair was cracked, which told me that the keel was still moving slightly as the boat heeled. I decided not to pursue that boat any further, even though the broker, a C&C dealer, offered to remove and re-mount the keel, if I bought it.

I agree with Frank that it might not be as much of a concern on a Catalina 25 as on a C&C, because of the fact that Catalina 25 hulls are solid fiberglass, and C&C hulls of that era are balsa cored. But I'd point it out to a surveyor, and ask him to look at it first, so you could cancel the rest of the survey and only pay for an abbreviated survey, if the keel is enough of a concern to be a deal breaker. In either case, I'd also reduce my offer on the boat, if I decided to buy it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Gary B.
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
969 Posts

Response Posted - 04/11/2007 :  09:34:53  Show Profile
Hold on a second. As the guy who sold Suede Shoes to Bill, I have spent a bit of time around and under the boat. Shoes is most definitely a Swing Keel boat.

I was always under the impression, and the letters above would seem to confirm, that the "Catalina smile" was found on FIXED keel boats. I thought they were always the "fin", but it might be true for the wing...dunno.

I think whatever is there might well be something "else". Whatever the case, if the surveyer says it can be sanded and filled, I would do that.....or let the buyer do it! It must not be all that "structural".

Gary B.

s/v Encore! #685 SK/SR

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 04/11/2007 :  09:47:42  Show Profile
Gary, as I understand it, Bill isn't saying Suede Shoes has a Catalina smile. He's thinking about buying a bigger Catalina that has a Catalina smile.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Gary B.
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
969 Posts

Response Posted - 04/12/2007 :  00:32:05  Show Profile
Duh......I suppose you are right, Steve! You know what happens when you "assume": you make an "ass" out of UMA Thurman......

I just "assumed" he was selling Suede Shoes B4 looking for a larger Catalina.

Thanks,

Gary

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 04/12/2007 :  00:50:23  Show Profile
Had your glasses prescription checked recently, Gary?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ericson33
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
892 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2007 :  00:11:10  Show Profile  Visit Ericson33's Homepage
Not a huge project

http://www.capri25.com/IMAGES/photos/115.gif

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

djn
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1561 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2007 :  09:09:34  Show Profile
I thought this was a Catalina smile.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jking
Navigator

Members Avatar

110 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2007 :  11:34:00  Show Profile
Dennis:

There has GOT to be a good story behind that photo--are you sure you don't have a picture of a Hunter?!?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2007 :  11:38:31  Show Profile
That's not a Catalina Smile, that's JAWS!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

djn
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1561 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2007 :  12:14:59  Show Profile
Hi John, that is from a thread in the C25 forum from just a couple months back. That is why the CD forestay/anchor roller mod is so important, so this does not happen. I am not sure if it applies to the 250 though. Cheers.

Edited by - djn on 04/13/2007 12:15:32
Go to Top of Page

jking
Navigator

Members Avatar

110 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2007 :  15:03:09  Show Profile
Dennis:

When I was shopping for a boat about 2 years ago, I was offered a 'good deal' on a boat that could be 'fixed up just like new.' The boat was a new (2005) Hunter 25 shoal keel. The original owner was in the parking lot of his local facility, had just stepped the mast in preparation for its launch and madien voyage, and was nice enough to move boat and trailer so that a larger boat could get to the ramp. Unfortunately, some unkind city official had ordered a telephone pole placed so that a wire (fortunately not a power line) clipped this boat's mast.

The result: The mast remained stepped to the deck, the forestay remained attached to its fitting, and the shrouds remained attached to the chainplates. The hull-deck joint, however, split from the stem fitting to just forward of the cabin windows, creating a much wider set of jaws than depicted in your post. Some damage was obviously done to hull and deck, but the flawed construction implied by the joint separation was so impressive, that I bought a Catalina.

Wish I had taken a photo.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2007 :  15:10:21  Show Profile
That's the Catalina Scream! ...accompanied by "DUMP THE JIB AND TURN DOWNWIND!!" By the time they built my '85, they'd upgraded the stem fitting with a tang bolted about 6" down the bow. No more screams.

Edited by - Dave Bristle on 04/13/2007 15:11:12
Go to Top of Page

Bill Sloane
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
91 Posts

Response Posted - 04/14/2007 :  11:39:17  Show Profile

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Not a huge project

C.S. McKillip
1980 Capri 25
---Völaré---

--Hull #17--
_Webmaster_
WSC Tulsa, Ok.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
C.S. McKillip: That is a great drawing showing how to fix a smile. Thank you.

Gary B.: Suede Shoes is not for sale at this time. The smile is on a Catalina 320. If we end up buying it, then I may decide to sell Shoes. But I know you traded up to a bigger boat and then came back to a C-25, so I am being cautious about all this.
One thing that makes me cautious is the Catalina 320 Association website appears to have no chatter at all. Some posts are 2 and 3 years old. What is the deal with that? I realize there are less 320's around than C-25's.

Bill Sloane
Suede Shoes C-25 SR/SK No. 496

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 04/14/2007 :  11:53:00  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Sloane</i>
<br />I realize there are less 320's around than C-25's.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
That's the deal... With some 6000 C-25s built, a rather small proportion of owners "chatter" here (even including the ex-owners )--maybe 1% or fewer. So what's 1% of the 320 hulls built?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page