Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Anchor Choice - PNW crusing
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/27/2007 :  12:28:06  Show Profile
We are getting ready for the cruising season and need a much better anchor than the one that came with Miss Conduckt. I have done some research and am looking seriously at the Hydrobubble anchors. They got very good reviews in a couple of magazines. They are very unconventional looking. Has anyone purchased one of these? Other sage advice for an anchor for cruising the Pacific Northwest? I am planning on 300' rode with 25" of chain. I appreciate any advice you might have.

We cannot direct the winds but we can adjust our sails.

Edited by - on

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 01/27/2007 :  13:25:38  Show Profile
A good question for the general forum... What bottoms do you expect to encounter--sand, rock, mud, grass,....? Tidal currents that'll swing you 180 degrees?

Take a look at http://www.noteco.com/bulwagga/multimedia/practical_sail_pdf_Jan_01.pdf

Edited by - Dave Bristle on 01/27/2007 13:43:36
Go to Top of Page

johnsonp
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
606 Posts

Response Posted - 01/28/2007 :  16:41:07  Show Profile
<font color="blue"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Randy
Just spent 3 days at the Seattle Boat Show attending 12 free seminars and thought they were all fantastic.
I ask your question at one of the seminars and this couple who had 25 years cruising the PNW and received some outstanding replys.
This year it is my dream to go thru all 3 gates on the Johnstone Strait in one shot.
Getting to and from the boat show and parking in the north lot no problem all three days.The show runs till next week end.

Betty I will post your e-mail reply on forum......This first chart shows Arran Rapids, Stuart Island, Yuculta and Dent rapids. Mr. Johnstone first ventured through Arran Rapids on the north side of Stuart Island. On his second trip he came through Yuculta Rapids and Dent Rapids, which was the same course we took in Fantasia. The critical factor with these rapids is hitting them within fifteen minutes of slack water, when the tide is turning from flooding to ebbing or the reverse. Soon after the turn, a large whirlpool forms off of Little Dent Island with the imaginative name of Devil's Hole!

paulj C250WK #719</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="blue">

Edited by - johnsonp on 01/28/2007 17:10:11
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 01/28/2007 :  20:06:51  Show Profile
So Paul. What did the couple say about anchors??

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

SEAN
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
772 Posts

Response Posted - 01/29/2007 :  07:39:29  Show Profile
Hey Randy ,
We sleep over alot on our boat (on the hook)
I have a 14# Delta I am real happy with it .
20 ` of chain and rode package from west marine.
it sets real fast and seams to hold fine .We were caught in some windy conditions in the wie hours of the morning I just got up and let more rode out.
We anchor between 10 and 20 feet of water .
30 feet is a long pull to get the anchor up .
anyway that anchor fits in the anchor locker with a danforth on top, with s short chain and rode for a lunch hook or stern and bow setting .
I would like one of those fortress anchors that come apart for a back up ,we could keep it some were elseon the boat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

welshoff
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
253 Posts

Response Posted - 01/29/2007 :  11:52:00  Show Profile
Randy,
I use a 7.5kg/16.5lb bruce. So far, I have found it holds in most of the areas I anchor.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

johnsonp
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
606 Posts

Response Posted - 02/04/2007 :  00:52:07  Show Profile
<font color="blue"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Randy
First I would mention that I have 2 Danforth anchors on my boat becase.... they came with the boat.
I have not had any problems to date, also I'm not recommending any type of anchor.
While at the Seattle boat show I talked to Bob and Marilynn Hale, producers of Waggoner Cruising Guide,about cruising and what ever and one of the subjects was about anchors and anchoring ,etc and they pointed out the section on this in the 2007 book.
I then asked Bob what he had on his boat for an anchor....he replied a Bruce and thought Delta was good also.

At five of the cruising seminars I asked the 5 different speakers what type of anchor they used on <b>their</b> boats and the survey said.....(4) Bruce,(1) Danforth.
The seminar attendees replies mostly mentioned types were Bruce,Danforth,Delta and CQR.

All the speakers agreed on one thing that you can have the best anchor in the WORLD but if you don't take into consideration location,tide,wind,current...etc you are SOL.....not sure what that means.

paulj C250WK #719</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="blue">

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Arlyn Stewart
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2980 Posts

Response Posted - 02/04/2007 :  05:19:23  Show Profile  Visit Arlyn Stewart's Homepage
Hey Paul,

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> you are SOL.....not sure what that means. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

In the unlikely case yer not yanking on our legs... sol = sh#% out of luck.

You would be fortunate not having any previous moments in said condition.... or you've been there but didn't know it or more probable, my leg just got longer

Edited by - Arlyn Stewart on 02/04/2007 05:22:27
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 02/04/2007 :  10:00:48  Show Profile
Paul, thanks for the info. It confirms what I had learned while researching this issue. I bought a 16.5lb Bruce and a BRM-2 roller mount. I will only use the mount part when on actual cruises, otherwise, at the lake, I'll keep the anchor in the anchor locker. Also am getting 300' of 1/2" rode and 25' of chain.

Paul, you know what SNAFU stands for?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page