Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 New windows for a Catalina 25
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mobasco
Deckhand

Member Avatar

Australia
2 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/14/2009 :  02:29:48  Show Profile
G,day,
I recently purchased a Catalina 25 (Boomaroo 25 here in Australia).
I would like to replace the window frames and glass/acrylic.
Anybody know where I might obtain these,assuming that the Boomaroo sizes are the same as the Catalina?
Thanks

Edited by - on

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 09/14/2009 :  03:40:07  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I do not believe that Catalina Direct (www.catalinadirect.com) sells the windows/ports with the aluminum frames but you check to make sure. My experience is that you are best to check with Catalina (the boat builder) because they still give limited support for the older boats but when I ordered a replacement window, the impression I got was that if you have the newer model Catalina 25 (ie. 1989) part of the last generation that had the windows/ports without the aluminum frame, Catalina will supply the replacement if you provide them a template of the window that needs replacement. I used paper taped together and then laid it over the window and drew an outline of the window, then cut it out and mailed it to them. They provided the replacement window for...I don't recall exactly but it was fairly reasonable...about $30 and that was with tapered edges. I have not replaced the window yet since the 3M4200 I used on the crack is holding up fine, so I have delayed replacing it. But Catalina also furnished me the assembly drawing for the installation. A posting about a year or more ago, I included that assembly drawing so it is buried somewhere in the Forum archives. If you do a search on my name or on window replacement, you may pull it up...but again it is without the aluminum frame. I believe Catalina indicated they do not provide any support for the windows with the aluminum frame since all the newer boats they mfr do not utilize a window frame...so the mfrg that way is not available...at least from them.

Edited by - OLarryR on 09/14/2009 03:42:03
Go to Top of Page

JimB517
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
3285 Posts

Response Posted - 09/14/2009 :  09:41:44  Show Profile  Visit JimB517's Homepage
what I would do it this. Remove the windows. Take them to a local shop that can cut lexan. Have a smoked black lexan window cut that is about 1/4 inch thick and 3/8 inch larger on all sides than the original. Drill holes about every 4 inches around the perimeter of the lexan. Use those to through bolt the lexan to the boat. Bed with 5200.

I've seen several Catalina 30s that have done this. Looks great. No leaks ever.

I'll probably do this myself some day, right now the factory windows are well caulked, look like junk, but don't leak.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page