Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Bow Roller for the anchor
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5236 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/02/2010 :  21:18:01  Show Profile
Is it possible to mount a bow roller for the anchor on a C-25? I have a roller furler which seems like it would be in the way of the centerline, but would it be possible to mount the roller offset to the right or left.

All of my sailor dockmates have them. It sure would help when singlehanding. Has anyone mounted one? ANy photos?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - on

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 03/02/2010 :  21:32:03  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="2"><font color="navy">Yes.
I installed one a few years ago using [url="http://www.catalina-capri-25s.com/tech/tech25/tt023.asp"]Bill Holcomb's Tech Tip[/url]
as a guide.
Because the anchor lockers hinges are to port I mounted mine on the starboard side of the forestay and yes it is slightly off angle.
Very good project.

*Underlined words are <font size="3"><b><font color="red">HOT</font id="red"></b></font id="size3"> links that open in a new window.

BTW - Our Tech Tips section of the website (the forum is just one part of our website) is extensive and has very good info by our members.
</font id="navy"></font id="size2"></font id="Comic Sans MS">

Edited by - Peregrine on 03/02/2010 21:36:30
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 03/02/2010 :  21:42:01  Show Profile
I installed an anchor roller without drilling any holes in the deck. I used a 1/4 inch thick aluminum plate with threaded holes for flush finish surface. The bow bolts changed to hex head bolts with a inproved backing. It has worked for me and the boat doesn't work as hard with the line through the roller and not tied to a cleat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 03/02/2010 :  21:55:30  Show Profile
CD sells a stem fitting upgrade with an "integrated" bow roller that's offset to starboard. You don't the stem fitting upgrade, but the configuration is probably what you want to end up with. WM probably has the same roller they used.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 03/03/2010 :  07:43:40  Show Profile
One of the trusty PO's had installed an anchor roller that is offset to port on my C25. I don't have roller furling. The anchor roller extends forward about 8" or 12" off the port bow. The setup also has a 1" high U-shaped piece inboard of the anchor roller. This piece has holes for a pin to go through the chain to secure the raised anchor.

I pull the rode at about a 20 or 40 degree angle when weighing anchor, sitting on the foredeck, and I think it would not bang into a furler if I had one.

No pictures, sorry. Could get some this weekend.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 03/03/2010 :  07:52:50  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave Bristle</i>
<br />CD sells a stem fitting upgrade with an "integrated" bow roller that's offset to starboard. You don't the stem fitting upgrade, but the configuration is probably what you want to end up with. WM probably has the same roller they used.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">The stem fitting upgrade is a good idea as it has a strap that goes behind the rub rail and fastens to the hull with two sheet metal screws, 4-6" below the rub rail . . . resulting in more strength between the foredeck and hull. Maybe someone will post a pix.
FWIW, mine came with a dual roller which probably has some (unknown at this time) benefit.

Edited by - OJ on 03/03/2010 08:01:45
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 03/03/2010 :  08:14:17  Show Profile
Steve, I only told Bruce he didn't need the upgrade because he already has the improved stem fitting. You can see it by clicking my signature pic--she used to be my boat.

Edited by - Dave Bristle on 03/03/2010 08:17:21
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 03/03/2010 :  09:15:56  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave Bristle</i>
<br />Steve, I only told Bruce he didn't need the upgrade because he already has the improved stem fitting. You can see it by clicking my signature pic--she used to be my boat.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Whoops! I missed that! thx dave

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 03/04/2010 :  11:19:30  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by OJ</i>
FWIW, mine came with a dual roller which probably has some (unknown at this time) benefit.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Hey, guess what? The [url="http://www.standsuremarine.com/id11.html"]dual anchor roller [/url] is for holding 2 anchors!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 03/04/2010 :  11:37:01  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JohnP</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by OJ</i>
FWIW, mine came with a dual roller which probably has some (unknown at this time) benefit.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Hey, guess what? The [url="http://www.standsuremarine.com/id11.html"]dual anchor roller [/url] is for holding 2 anchors!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

OMG JOHN! I WOULD HAVE NEVER FIGURED THAT OUT! THANK YOU!

AND HAVE YOU EVER SEEN TWO ANCHORS MOUNTED SIDE-BY-SIDE ON THE FRONT OF A 25' SAILBOAT???

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Sloop Smitten
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1181 Posts

Response Posted - 03/04/2010 :  13:08:39  Show Profile
Steve,
Catalina Direct sells the dual roller with the improved stem fitting for C-27's. Is this what you have? I was wondering if it would work on the C25 since it is only $1 more then the single roller they have for the C25.

Edited by - Sloop Smitten on 03/04/2010 13:09:10
Go to Top of Page

Sloop Smitten
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1181 Posts

Response Posted - 03/04/2010 :  13:12:08  Show Profile
<font size="4"><b>C27</b></font id="size4">

<font size="4"><b>C25</b></font id="size4">

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 03/04/2010 :  13:48:33  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing the pix Joe. I plead ignorance on exactly what brand or version is on our boat as we just bought and delivered it to the storage yard late last fall. The boat does have a furler - which most likely has nothing to do with the double anchor roller.
I have never seen this configuration on such a small boat. Perhaps the previous owner dropped two anchors (V config) to prevent/minimize swing in tight quarters.

Sailing - a life long learning experience!

Edited by - OJ on 03/04/2010 13:53:06
Go to Top of Page

Sloop Smitten
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1181 Posts

Response Posted - 03/04/2010 :  20:20:34  Show Profile
From Catalina Direct:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The stem fitting on the C-25 differs from the one on the C-27. I can't say definitively that it would not work, but it is likely that the angles on the stem fitting for the C-27 are different than what you would need. I would encourage you to call our tech support to see if they can offer some further insight. Happy sailing!

I'm not sure I need dual rollers but, kind of like dual headlights, I like the look. I will give Catalina Direct a call. I remember Justin saying he had to adjust the angle on his stem fitting when he installed it so if you are going to have to adjust it anyway . . .

Here is that link: [url="http://www.catalina-capri-25s.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=15664&SearchTerms=stem+fitting"]Stem Fitting Adjustment[/url]

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5236 Posts

Response Posted - 03/04/2010 :  22:39:51  Show Profile
Good to see its doable. What kind of anchor can be permanently mounted to it?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2010 :  12:34:20  Show Profile
Well, the trail may be cold already, but here are 3 photos of my anchor roller with a Danforth #13:

Here's a closeup showing the pin that holds the shank of the anchor:

And here's a photo showing the bow roller angled to port:

The funny thing is that I had neglected to stow the anchor on the bow roller for 3 summers until just last year. Using the roller is so much easier than lifting the anchor up and stowing it in the annchor locker. And now I don't care about any mud not rinsed off the anchor. The anchor locker drain hole remains unplugged a lot longer.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2010 :  13:05:31  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
John, I like your setup and it is one of 2 I have considered. The other is a pulpit mount anchor hanger. But I have heard concerns about the jib catching and tearing. What are your thoughts?
Steve A

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2010 :  13:24:51  Show Profile
I've heard that concern, too, but a number of boats at my marina have anchor brackets hanging on the pulpit. It must work for them.

I could cruise the docks and take snapshots of other C-25's with anchor storage solutions. We have 3 or 4 others, I think. One C-27, and a C-30, too. I think all the boats over 35 feet have anchors on bow rollers. I'm on a mission now!

I've decided to get all my spring cleaning done the next 2 weekends, and then it's off into the "deep blue sea". It's so nice out now! I'll be down at the marina this weekend, installing my outboard and all the washed & stored equipment I'll shlep out of the basement and the shed.

Edited by - JohnP on 03/11/2010 13:34:14
Go to Top of Page

JimB517
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
3285 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2010 :  15:13:52  Show Profile  Visit JimB517's Homepage
You can not leave the anchor hanging out like that if you fly a spinnaker or asym!

I've not had a problem with a regular jib catching and tearing.

Another problem with leaving the anchor hanging, is that it is possible, under rare conditions, or when making an uncontrolled docking in high winds or around other boats, to catch the anchor on something you wished you didn't. Pyling, other boats anchor line, other boats lifeline, things like that.

I always stow mine.

What I like to do is : start the motor, get the anchor up, leave hanging just under the water, motor along a few hundred yards at 2 knots, finish getting the (now clean) anchor up and get it stowed.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5236 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2010 :  22:24:03  Show Profile
Wow, this looks very doable! Glad to know.

This April, I will be returning to the Marina from my winter storage location. I will be in the river current and I'll be waiting patiently for the bridge tender to open the bridge.

If the engine dies or if the current is too strong, I'd sure like to have an easy way to drop anchor before I smack into the bridge!

I've found it's a safety issue, especially when single handing. It would be great to be able to pull the ripcord and put on the brakes.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 03/12/2010 :  06:52:58  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
John, I'm envious of your enthusiasm. I want to put aside a few week-ends to completely go through and clean up the boat, shine up the hull and finish rebuilding the dock. But right now it seems like one rain storm after the other.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> If the engine dies or if the current is too strong, I'd sure like to have an easy way to drop anchor before I smack into the bridge! <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Hahaha Bruce, that's one of those nightmares I think about in large current while waiting for a bridge, and hope never happens.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

B.Jones
1st Mate

Members Avatar

39 Posts

Response Posted - 03/12/2010 :  13:49:19  Show Profile
I added a 1 1/2 foot bow sprite made of mahogany with ss bracket and support to the front of my 25 (guess it is now a 26.5 Catalina) modeled and made like the one I had on my previous Com-Pac. It is a beauty (the friend who put it all together is a real craftsman) and very functional. I have an anchor roller mounted in the sprite and a ring at the top of the bracket above the roller to accomadate a cruising spinnaker. A Bruce type anchor stays on the bow ready to deploy.
Bruce Jones
#3538 '83 TR/FK
BellaSera

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5236 Posts

Response Posted - 03/12/2010 :  21:06:41  Show Profile
Bruce
If you have a photo of your bow sprit, I'd love to see how you did it. Posting a photo on this forum is a little kludgy. You put it out on flickr or picasa, then you copy the link in between a pair of escape codes.

{img}"www .put_your_photo_URL_here. com{/img}, but instead of curly braces"{" you use square brackets"["

Mahogany is a lot more reasonably priced than teak. Is your bow sprit solid enough to stand on?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

BJones
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
7 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2010 :  06:30:15  Show Profile
Bruce,
I will try to get some photo's and post. Yes it is very sturdy and I have stood on it many times retrieving the anchor(all 210 lbs of me). I have mounted a ss support rod between the base of the sprite, which is also ss, back to the stem. The only problem with the mahogany is that I put about 7 coats of clear polyurethane on when it was first installed. It looked great but has started to weather a little now. I guess I am going to have to strip all the polyurethane off and re coat the wood. Can you use Cetal on mahogany?

Bruce Jones
"Bella Sera"
'83 TR/FK

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5236 Posts

Response Posted - 03/14/2010 :  00:17:29  Show Profile
Bruce,
I used mahogany to replace my "eyebrows" brightwork on the cockpit bulkheads.

I gave it about 6-8 coats of Cetol and it blended well with the teak crib boards and companionway slats.

You may notice that the mahogany appears a little darker than the teak.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 10/18/2013 :  18:58:13  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Voyager</i>
<br />Is it possible to mount a bow roller for the anchor on a C-25? I have a roller furler which seems like it would be in the way of the centerline, but would it be possible to mount the roller offset to the right or left.

All of my sailor dockmates have them. It sure would help when singlehanding. Has anyone mounted one? ANy photos?

<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="2"><font color="navy">Based on Bill's Tech Tip I installed the same bow roller except on the Starboard side of the forestay because of the way my anchor opens.

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.com/tech/tech25/tt023.asp

You will need to angle it just a bit but it works well. I did this at least 6 years ago and have been glad I did.

</font id="navy"></font id="size2"></font id="Comic Sans MS">

Edited by - Peregrine on 10/18/2013 19:01:47
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page