Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Baby Stay installation
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jnoworrys
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
28 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/14/2010 :  17:16:07  Show Profile
My catalina 25 is a swing keel. I am setting up a single mast raising system using a 6' gin pole. I need to install baby stays. When I look at my deck it looks like the middle stay deck mounts(upper stays) line up with my mast base perfectly. Can I use them to attach the baby stays to the deck? Then how far up the mast should I attach the baby stays. I am nervous and want to get this right before my 1st attempt to raise my mast while boat is on trailer. Jeff

Edited by - jnoworrys on 05/14/2010 17:58:26

Ed Cassidy
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
365 Posts

Response Posted - 05/14/2010 :  18:06:52  Show Profile
I think the baby stay, to keep the mast from tipping to the side, actually needs to mount level with the bottom of the mast. If the baby stay was mounted at the deck, as the mast starts going down, the stay would loosen, just like the uppers.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jnoworrys
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
28 Posts

Response Posted - 05/14/2010 :  18:21:41  Show Profile
Does anyone out there have a mast raising system that works for them? Can you share info on what works best A-frame or Gin pole?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tom Gauntt
Navigator

Members Avatar

204 Posts

Response Posted - 05/14/2010 :  18:43:13  Show Profile
I built the "A-frame" system using tips from the "tech forum" on the this website. This is basically the rig I use: http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/tech/tech25/bearsad1.asp

Both systems work (A-frame and gin pole). I went with the A-frame because I have a tall rig and it is a bit heavier. Works great, lasts a long time. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 05/14/2010 :  18:50:43  Show Profile
To be effective, babystays do have to be secure an the axis of the pivot. Pearl came with a mast fitting at the base on the forward side to accept the boom for use as a gin pole. Lines ran from the top of boom to heavy springs that clipped to the forward lower chain plates to keep the boom vertical. The idea was that as the lines became slack, the uppers gained tension to stabilize the mast. It kind of worked, but it really took two people to safely raise the mast. I clipped the jib halyard to the boom and the mainsheet from the boom to the stemhead fitting. One person (usually my wife) hauled the sheet and I held the upper shrouds to control sway. Even with the length of the boom, it takes a pretty good heave when the mast is low. 6' will take a lot more. I finally built a 10' A-frame and realized why almost everybody uses them. I raise the mast on the water with no sway. I had a helper watching the rigging and standing by just in case for a couple of attempts, but found it to really be a single handed operation. My A-frame is just two 2"x4"x10'. I rounded the heels a little and drilled a 1/4" hole in each 2x4; I laid them out with the bases at the forward chain plates and lashed the tops together, drilled through them just below the lashing and passed a bolt through with a ring suspended between the legs. Setup is just passing 1/4" dacron line through the 2x4 and chainplate on each side and tying it off, clip the halyard (other end is cleated on the mast) and mainsheet to the ring and stem fitting. A final adjust of the halyard and mainsheet to make the A-frame vertical and haul the mast up.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Even Chance
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
393 Posts

Response Posted - 05/14/2010 :  20:58:36  Show Profile
It usually falls on deaf ears (or blind eyes), but Brian Smith's Tech Tip (found [url="http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/tech/tech25/bsmast.asp"]here[/url]) for lowering the mast forward is, IMHO, much easier than using a-frames, crutches, or additional gin poles. It works -- I've used it many times. My one modification would be to run the Morley's lines through the genoa cars moved even with the mast, and then back to the primary winches for control. I have raised and lowered a TR mast single-handed using this system.

A caveat is that when the mast is down, its weight is forward of the pulpit. Sit on the mast at the tabernacle when you unbolt it!

Edited by - Even Chance on 05/14/2010 20:59:58
Go to Top of Page

jnoworrys
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
28 Posts

Response Posted - 05/15/2010 :  06:11:07  Show Profile
I think I will build the standing A frame. I like the fact that there are no extra mounts on our deck. It looks to be safe and reliable. Thank you all for your ideas and comments. Jeff

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jnoworrys
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
28 Posts

Response Posted - 05/15/2010 :  20:18:20  Show Profile
Well The A frame has been created. I used 2 10' 2x4's. I attached them at the top with a large(6" across) sheave from the garage door replacement parts section at Best hardware. I used a 6" bolt and mounted the sheave at the top in between the 2x4's. I then ran a 8" bolt thru both 2x4's just below the sheave to tie a line from to the bow cleat. I attached a eye hook thru both sides of the 2x4's 5' up for a line to run back to the base of the aft stanchions to keep the a-frame standing upright. I wrapped the 2x4 bases at the bottom to the forward stanchions for stability. I ran a line from the mast just below the lower stays held up with my main halyard, back thru the sheave down to the bow and back up the deck thru my spinlock halyard stopper to deck winch. I winched my mast up from the cock pit clearing all lines and stays, everything went great. I did have to ask my wife to help walk our fuller across the deck. I was very surprised on how easy it was lowering the mast back down. I am a happy sailor now, 4 sure I am now ready to begin a season of traveling with my boat and exploring new places. thank to all for your responses. Happy sailing.....Jeff

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 05/15/2010 :  20:41:39  Show Profile
Jeff, could you post a few photos?

Brooke, the mainsheet on the 250 isn't attached at the end of the boom, mine is about 2 feet forward of the end. The traveler is at the forward end of the cockpit. Do you think these angles would provide adequate leverage? How long is your mainsheet?

Edited by - John Russell on 05/15/2010 20:54:51
Go to Top of Page

Even Chance
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
393 Posts

Response Posted - 05/16/2010 :  01:33:21  Show Profile
John, that's obviously going to give you less leverage. When I use the mainsheet for raising and lowering the mast, I swap the regular line out for a longer piece. I have no idea how long that other line is . . . I went to a 1:4 mainsheet, so mine is even longer than usual.

Because I relocated my traveler to the forward end of the cockpit, I detach the mainsheet from the traveler and shackle it to the pushpit.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

triley
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
251 Posts

Response Posted - 05/16/2010 :  18:32:36  Show Profile
Wow. At our marina we have friends who help with the mast - both up and down. Spring and fall are the times we help put up and take down, and the summer is the time we use those damn protest flags on each other! What can I say.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page