Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Solar panel Mount
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
229 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/06/2011 :  11:25:35  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage
I recently added a 5w solar panel to trickle charge my batteries. I wanted an out of the way place that was not in the shade. Attached are photos showing my final arrangement.

Using some scrap Mahogany I made two rails to support the panel. I drilled a 1" diameter hole with bolt holes on each side. Then cut it to make top/bottom pieces to mount on the center stern pulpit.

In the photo from the cockpit, you may notice that I mounted this off center. I did this intentionally to keep it out of the way when using the ladder.

Not shown in the photos, I used plastic wire ties to secure the panels wiring to the stern pulpit.

The solar panel cost about $50.

David Crosby "Small World"
'02 C250 WK #614

Edited by - on

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 09/06/2011 :  12:36:59  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
Very nice setup David! I'd have to add a third support for my 45 watt but like the teak! By the way, have you seen Stills, Nash or Young lately?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Raffel
Captain

Members Avatar

262 Posts

Response Posted - 09/23/2011 :  12:00:56  Show Profile
What brand of solar panel did you buy? Could you describe the full installation from the stern bracket to the battery?

Thanks.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 09/23/2011 :  15:26:31  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
You did a real nice job making those mounts !

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
229 Posts

Response Posted - 09/25/2011 :  19:07:08  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage
I bought this panel at West Marine. It is a SUNFORCE Solar-Powered Trickle Charger, Model#11460342. Current price is $69.99. When I bought mine it was on sale, hence the approx. $50 price.

Nothing fancy about the install. Stock C250s have the battery in the aft compartment. The panel comes with two different connectors. There is a cigarette lighter port plug and battery terminal clamps. These are changed via a 2 plug flat connector.

I simply passed the wires through the access point that my outboard wires enter the boat (I assume this is stock). Connect to the battery. Red to positive, black to negative. You can make the install more permanent by changing the connectors on the end of the wires.

Hope this helps.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Raffel
Captain

Members Avatar

262 Posts

Response Posted - 09/26/2011 :  09:46:30  Show Profile
Thanks.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

NautiC25
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
957 Posts

Response Posted - 11/30/2011 :  12:22:03  Show Profile
Holy crap that's nice! I built mine from aluminum, but I can't believe I didn't think of that. It looks much cleaner and easier to build.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 11/30/2011 :  15:05:01  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
David,

You indicated your setup is simple but what I like about your setup is the nice wood mounts you made. It is something that can be appreciated (probably only by other sailors) but it shows some thought went into the design !

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
229 Posts

Response Posted - 11/30/2011 :  19:46:58  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by OLarryR</i>
<br />David,

...... it shows some thought went into the design !
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

When I took the mast down to put the boat into storage for the winter, I realized something that I had not thought out very well. The solar panel is in the way of the mast support that mounts to the rudder gudgeons. I solved this problem by moving the panel on to the vertical tube of the aft rail (engine side). The panel is now on a different plane, but seems to still be putting out a charge.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

csmcg
1st Mate

Members Avatar

96 Posts

Response Posted - 01/21/2012 :  17:42:50  Show Profile
Those wood brackets look really nice.

I mounted my panel by removing the starboard catbird seat, placing two aluminum angle pieces that extend off the back of the seat frame, then replacing the seat.

Bolt panel to the aluminum rails, run wires to charge controller via outboard electric-start port, and done.

Regards

Edited by - csmcg on 01/21/2012 17:44:07
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 01/21/2012 :  19:54:59  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
Still wondering about Stills, Nash and Young

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page