Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 New haul-out method
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

TCurran
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/18/2012 :  16:16:42  Show Profile
I was going to write about the great raft-up we had this weekend. 13 boats, 8 of which were sailboats, including both of mine. I brought the W25 out (sorry guys, the Watkins is a better cruising boat) and a friend brought my C25, Island Time. I trust the friend, he has a Irwin 30, but because of where we were going, he couldn't get Irwin there so I offered my C25. But, due to today's events, I had to change the focus of my post.

I know many of the northern owners are either hauling out or already hauled their boats out, but I found a new way...a draw-bridge. As my buddy was passing under the bridge, the tender decided to close the bridge, then realizing his mistake, re-opened the bridge. Island Time was third in a string of three sailboats, the tender was told there was THREE boats, but counted two and started to close. Here is the result (this picture is not photo-shopped and is of my boat):

No one was hurt, my buddy and his girlfriend were able to get off the boat before the rigging broke and the boat dropped. Had to drop the mast to get it home, didn't see any obvious hull damage, but will get a surveyor to make sure. The mast is bent, the front stay, back stay, and uppers all parted. Only the lowers remained in tact and kept the mast from crashing.

The tender admitted he was at fault. The bridge is owned by a local subdivision, and they already let me know they will take care of my boat, ,but...the lawyers aren't involved yet.

Other than that, it was a great weekend and will post a shot of the raft-up when I get one.

Tom Curran
1981 Capri 25 Hull #101 "Dirty Debbie"
1988 Watkins 30
PAFB, FL

Edited by - on

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 11/18/2012 :  16:47:28  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
If there was ever any doubt about how tough our boats are, that picture says it all. Dangling from it's mast? That's stunning! Even if the rigging did finally part.

Glad no one was hurt & they're taking responsibility for the accident. Did your friends have to jump into the water to escape?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 11/18/2012 :  17:05:29  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by delliottg</i>
<br />
Glad no one was hurt & they're taking responsibility for the accident. Did your friends have to jump into the water to escape?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
They jumped off onto the bridge fenders, they were able to stay dry.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 11/18/2012 :  18:24:33  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
now that there is darned scary! Tough a$$ boat indeed!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

rrick
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
261 Posts

Response Posted - 11/18/2012 :  21:46:06  Show Profile
So the outboard seized before reconnecting with the fluid which it was intended to operate? I see smoke in the back, a little darker than gray two stroke mist, and I can imagine the last setting was 11 of 10!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 11/19/2012 :  03:44:59  Show Profile
Rick, the engine is ok, that was the first thing my buddy did as the boat started to lift. So there is a bright spot...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 11/19/2012 :  05:02:00  Show Profile
I didn't know those boats could fly!!! Looks like the bridge tender has been in the brownies... Well... you get a new rig.

Have them buy you a new onboard two tone air horn while they are at it.

What a hoot!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 11/19/2012 :  05:50:12  Show Profile
Wow, lucky they didn't get killed. Even if you evacuate to the adjacent fenders, I could imagine the spreader coming down on top of you, or the rigging causing some unspeakable injuries, unless you can get well away from the bridge.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 11/19/2012 :  06:30:07  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
I am looking at the bridgehouse for the operator of the bridge... all I can say is, how'd he miss that rig coming his way? 2, 3 or otherwise. Everyone makes mistakes and all, but that's a doosy.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 11/19/2012 :  13:13:18  Show Profile
Amazing photo. I'm so glad no people were injured. That's something to be thankful for later this week!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 11/19/2012 :  14:04:56  Show Profile
I have seen expert opinions that a sailboat's rig <u>should</u> be strong enough so that you should be able, theoretically, to lift it up by a crane attached to the masthead. I've just never seen it actually done before!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 11/19/2012 :  15:34:37  Show Profile
A couple of different angles:

Note the two folks are still on board...

I was told it hung this way for just about an hour before something gave (I think the masthead or the bolt holding the masthead)...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 11/19/2012 :  15:40:33  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Someone ought to send these pictures to Frank Butler.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 11/19/2012 :  19:55:42  Show Profile
Why didn't they lower the bridge enough to at last let her float? Too much current?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 11/20/2012 :  01:51:35  Show Profile

Optical illusion?... I don't seem to be able to put it together... it seems that the top of the mast is hung-up on the bridge at a different point as compared to the last photo's?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 11/20/2012 :  04:04:17  Show Profile
Dave, not sure why they didn't lower the bridge and let it float, I wasn't there and was two disgusted (not really that upset or pissed, just didn't want to talk to him) to ask the tender.

Henk, you're right, they don't look the same, must be a result of the different angles. The first one is from the north side and at a slight angle. The second pic is from the south side. The mast was hung on the south side of the bridge. No one told me that it moved till it fell.

Some one sent a shot to Central Florida 13's website. That witness said it hung for only 20 minutes, the guys at bridge said close to an hour, truth is probably somewhere in-betwen. Don't think the time matters except they waited too long to lower it because it dropped!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 11/20/2012 :  04:54:31  Show Profile
I'm glad you weren't there .... You'd have probably stroked or broken your hand on the bridge tenders door...

Don't you think this calls for a renaming... "Hanging Out", "Pre-stretched", "Rig of Power", "Bridge Tenders Delight"

"TopGun"

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 11/20/2012 :  05:54:30  Show Profile
Ray...all great names, but I think I like "Pre-stretched" the best... or maybe "Hang Time" vice "Island Time"

Henk, talked to one of the guys there, that bridge has two sections per side, the north one was slightly lower than the south side, hence the "optical illusion".

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 11/20/2012 :  07:36:58  Show Profile
I'm guessing he left her up there for fear of causing more trouble by lowering her, was waiting for a higher authority to tell him what to do, and "higher authority" was on break (or driving over). If he lowered her right away, a current could have made things even dicier with the mast-head still connected to the bridge. The auto traffic in the area was probably anxious for a conclusion...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 11/20/2012 :  08:15:17  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
You know that is pretty amazing - right about now the engineers who built the bridge are looking at those photos commenting on how cool it is that their bridge could lift that much extra weight...

Wow.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 11/20/2012 :  09:01:48  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
I vote for "Hang Time".

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 11/20/2012 :  09:36:48  Show Profile
"Splash"

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 11/20/2012 :  09:57:01  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
Neah "Skewered" or "Topping Lift" That is just crazy... nobody would believe without picts.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 11/20/2012 :  12:40:50  Show Profile
I vote for "Flying High"

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 11/20/2012 :  15:54:41  Show Profile
Couldn't believe it w/o the photos...glad all were OK...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 11/20/2012 :  17:00:17  Show Profile
Here's the promised raft-up shot. We had 13 boats, 5 stinkers and 8 sailboats. It was a nice night and a great time. We had a 41 Morgan, 30 O'Day, 30 Watkins, two 25 Watkins, C25 (Island Time), and not pictured, a 27 Hunter and a 23 Hunter. Now, if we would haved all just stayed there...

Edited by - TCurran on 11/20/2012 17:02:28
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page