Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Ultralight dinghy
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sdpinaz
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
193 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/03/2014 :  16:50:53  Show Profile
So I was looking around the web for a new inflatable dinghy. There is a company called 3D Tenders that makes an ultralight dinghy, about half the weight of the comparable zodiac,saturn,west marine, ect...
Have any of you heard of these boats? they don't seem to sell them in the U.S. but a 26 pound dinghy sounds much nicer than 50 pounds...

Supplier Ref: TWA200
CE/ISO 94/25
Overall Length:6ft 11 inches
Overall Width: 4ft 4 inches
Inside Length: 4ft 9 inches
Total Weight: 26.2 Ibs
Max Persons: 2
Max Load: 551 Ibs
Tube Diameter: 35cm 1ft 2 inches
Numer of Airtight Chambers: 2 + 1
Shaft: short
Max Power: 3.5HP
Packed size: 3ft 3 inches x 1ft 7 inches x 11 inches
Colour: Black PVC

Standard Equipment:

High pressure floor honeycomb
Adjustable Aluminum Seat
Carry Back Pack
Foot Pump
Repair Kit
Aluminium Oars
2 Year Warranty - Leisure and 1 Year - Commercial use

Total Price: £449.00 (Including VAT at 20%)

http://www.3dtenders.co.uk/acatalog/3D-Tender-200-Superlight-Twin-Air-Inflatable-Boat-SEASL200.html#SID=1

Edited by - on

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 11/03/2014 :  18:38:05  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Somehow it sounds like a lightweight pvc/nylon dink.

It would have to be lightweight as I think the price is for delivery in the UK!

Sorry, don't plan on crossing the pond for a dink

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 11/03/2014 :  21:18:04  Show Profile
It's PVC, so it will not hold up to UV exposure like a more expensive Hypalon inflatable. But if you keep it stored away, that might not be so much of an issue.

Here's what I have. It's a lot less money (I actually found it for $120), but not a hard bottom. I've only used it a couple times, so can't really endorse it. It worked fine in calm conditions:

www.amazon.com/Intex-Mariner-3-Boat-Set/dp/B00HJGLMTQ/

When I bought it two years ago it was called the Seahawk II. It's been renamed, but it's the exact same boat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Chief RA
Chief Technical Advisor

Members Avatar

USA
191 Posts

Response Posted - 11/04/2014 :  13:36:05  Show Profile
Go on eBay and shop for what you want. Contrary to what the general opinion is, China makes lots of these PVC inflatables and many of top quality. I have a Maxxam 10' that I paid 800 for 12 yrs ago and it still looks and works great! As Rick says, cover PVC and it will hold up great. Chief

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sdpinaz
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
193 Posts

Response Posted - 11/04/2014 :  13:56:24  Show Profile
PVC is fine for me... I am looking for a compact light dinghy that will fit in the dumpster for most of its life, but has a transom that can hold a motor. I would like it to be as light and compact as possible.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 11/04/2014 :  15:30:19  Show Profile
quote:
I am looking for a compact light dinghy that will fit in the dumpster for most of its life,

I tried this route. I purchased a West Marine RU-260, made by Zodiac, and put it in the dumpster.

It turned out that it was a PITA to get it set up on deck, getting it out of the dumpster wasn't the difficulty, I mean actually getting blown up and ready to go and then tossed in the water.

So what eventually happened was if I thought we would want the dink to come along, I ended up towing it on a bridle. It got used much more frequently that way.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/04/2014 :  19:25:44  Show Profile
So that comes out to about $719 US. Throw in shipping from UK.??? Starts to get pricy. I just sold my 7'11" Mercury for the same reasons that Davy said. It was just too much of a PITA do deal with. I've learned that if it is a hassel then you won't use it. Opted for 2- 8'6" Kayacks that fit on the fordeck, One on each side of the mast. Light wieght, No inflating or deflating, No leaks, No motor or gas to store. Just toss them over and go. Oh yeah, Easy to paddle and a lot of fun. Price for 2..$390.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 11/04/2014 :  21:14:27  Show Profile
That dinghy look AWFULLY small for two people. No way you'd have room to row. And I suspect that even with an outboard it's tight because of the swing room that the tiller would need.

FWIW, the Mariner 3 raft that I linked has an outboard bracket available for about $20. And it looks like they've improved the design with a hard floor and inflatable keel, which should make it track better:

<center></center>

Also, no matter what boat you get, your inflation/deflation hassle becomes MUCH easier with this:

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-12-Volt-QuickPump-Colors-Vary/dp/B0009PUQEG

Edited by - TakeFive on 11/04/2014 21:19:29
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 11/04/2014 :  21:17:35  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

...Opted for 2- 8'6" Kayacks that fit on the fordeck, One on each side of the mast. Light wieght, No inflating or deflating...
I picked up two WM inflatable kayaks on sale (~$150 each). They take a few minutes to inflate with their foot pumps, but store in small suitcase-sized bags.

But for getting people and stuff to and from a boat, I think a proper 8.5' inflatable dinghy is a necessity. It all depends...

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 11/04/2014 21:19:08
Go to Top of Page

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 11/05/2014 :  01:57:52  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
Hmm... and what about the foldable dinghy like this one?

More info here http://www.ventspleen.com/

Edited by - Tomas Kruska on 11/05/2014 01:58:44
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 11/05/2014 :  04:48:08  Show Profile
Since kayaks were mentioned I'll recommend this one. I own one and it is stable and easy to use. It has a HP floor and is stable enough that you can stand up on it. It has been so nice, I am now trying to sell my old rigid sit-in kayaks. I've never tried to use it on the boat, but it sets up much easier than my dinghy. It is also fairly pricey, but I think it's worth it.

http://www.aquaglidekayak.com/product/klickitat-two-hb-inflatable-kayak/

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 11/05/2014 :  17:05:53  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Very nice propulsion unit on that kayak

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page