Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Swap Meet
 Used roller furling genoa for sale
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

2269 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/04/2017 :  19:34:39  Show Profile
I have a 110 roller furling genoa at my home. It came from my C250 (original sail from Catalina), but was replaced by a brand new headsail after my first season of ownership in 2010.

The reason I replaced the genoa was due to a tear along the foot incurred on the last sail of the season in 2010. I did not want to risk losing use of the sail next season, so I bought a new one in an off-season special. However, the sailmaker also repaired the original sail with a piece of new fabric along the foot.

I will be listing it here as soon as I get time to unfold the sail on my yard for pictures. I will make sure to provide detailed photos of the repaired area.

I have not decided on an asking price yet - that will depend on how things look after I inspect it. The money will go toward the new genoa for my new C34MkII (which came with a 150 that's too large for brisk spring/fall winds.)

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Edited by - TakeFive on 04/11/2018 18:57:19

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 06/27/2017 :  08:40:01  Show Profile
This morning I laid out the sail for inspection and pictures. This sail had been repaired as a "package deal" when I purchased the replacement headsail in the winter of 2011. It has sat unused in my house ever since then. This is the first time I opened it up to even look at it, and I am very impressed with the refurbishing that Doyle Chesapeake has done on it. In addition to replacing a broad section of cloth along the foot (which appears to be 2 ply), they also reinforced key sections that are subject to stress, such as along the top edge of the luff tape. It also looks like they may have refurbished the section of the leech that is exposed to UV when furled. And they installed four new tell-tails.

Prior to Doyle's refurbishing in 2011, I had the entire sail professionally restitched when I first purchased the boat at the beginning of the 2010 season, so all stitches are in great condition.

This was the original 110 genoa that came with the boat, and is designed to be used with the CDI furling foil. It has been unused in storage for about 9 years of its lifetime (7 years in my house while I used the new sail, and ~2 years in PO's house due to his poor health). It has a lot of life left in it, and would be great for someone who wants a smaller sail for frequent easy tacking, or just wants something in better shape than what you may have now.

Price: $400 including free shipping to 48 states.

Click here to see photos (Google Photo Sharing)

You may see a couple of small spots in the above pictures. Those are water drops that fell from a tree when the wind blew while I was taking my pictures. There are no permanent oil spots on this sail.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Edited by - TakeFive on 06/28/2017 20:43:13
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 04/11/2018 :  18:55:01  Show Profile
Yes, the Genoa is still for sale. Over the past year I have been very passive (aka “lazy”) about marketing it. I encourage anyone interested in a 110 to contact me.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
Go to Top of Page

Enchantment II
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
88 Posts

Response Posted - 04/16/2018 :  09:09:46  Show Profile
Does the sail have sunbrela(ph) or other protective covering when furled?

Joseph Henderson
82-CAT 25 TR SK
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 04/20/2018 :  21:07:10  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Enchantment II

Does the sail have sunbrela(ph) or other protective covering when furled?

Sorry about the delay responding. My dog suffered kidney failure and I've spent every evening visiting him in the emergency clinic.

There is no Sunbrella. This is a genuine Catalina sail, and their practice at the time of manufacture was to put a second ply of sacrificial white Dacron cloth along the foot and leech. You can see this in the linked pictures. Catalina's reasons for using Dacron instead of Sunbrella have been speculated on in many user groups. Most comments say something like: Sunbrella lasts longer, but shrinks in a way that can cause cupping which produces nonideal aerodynamics on the sail. Using Dacron on both plies results in even shrinkage and better sail shape, although the Dacron does not last as long as Sunbrella. These are comments from the internet, so should be taken with a grain of salt. But I think they make sense.

I think this is a very good sail for the price. It is not a new sail, but it has more service life in it for someone who wants a budget priced 110 that's specifically made for a C250 with CDI roller furler.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA

Edited by - TakeFive on 04/20/2018 21:07:59
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page