Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Optimus Princess Alcohol Stove
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ray4445
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
16 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/01/2018 :  19:40:27  Show Profile
Hi all, Finally getting to my two burner, 1980 original Catalina Optimus Princess pressurized stove and realize there are seals, parts that need to be replaced .
It works but one burner seems to have a leak at base of the burner and the plunger that you pump for pressure emits a white powder when pumped and will not stay all the way in with knob fully tightened.
Is there anywhere I can buy replacement parts or even anywhere I can send stove to be repaired? Thanks in advance!

Right now I feel like it's a time bomb.

REF

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 08/01/2018 :  20:39:24  Show Profile
Not much help for the old curtain burner I'm afraid. It's pretty well established on this forum and elsewhere that replacement seals are not available. The white powder you are seeing is probably either corrosion or disintegrated packing.

As far as replacements, drop-in gimballed stoves can be pressurized (propane) or non-pressurized (alcohol). I went with alchohol and got a Dometic Origo 3000 which bolted right up and has served us well. I use propane only out in the cockpit on a Magma kettle.

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA

Edited by - keats on 08/02/2018 00:57:40
Go to Top of Page

Ray4445
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
16 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2018 :  07:44:52  Show Profile
Tim, do you know if the Origo will fit where the Oly Princess is now?
Are dimensions the same?

REF
Go to Top of Page

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2018 :  09:47:36  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ray4445

Tim, do you know if the Origo will fit where the Oly Princess is now?

It fits pretty well as you can see Ray. The Origo comes with gimbal brackets and I think the width was perfect. It's been a couple of years but I think I may have had to remove a couple of pegs and I don't remember If I had to drill new holes or not. It was easy enough.

Maybe one advantage to propane is you get more control over the flame than you do with this type of stove, which uses a sliding damper to cover the flame. It's worked well for us though.

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2018 :  09:30:03  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage

I tossed the "Curtain Burner" years ago. Didn't even leave it out for someone else to take. Thought it was too dangerous.
I use the burner above and it along with my cooking gear (pots and pans) fit below the cutting board where the old stove used to be. I made a false front that looks like a drawer to cover. Sorry no picture.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page

Ray4445
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
16 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2018 :  11:23:34  Show Profile
Thanks John and Tim, Looks like two good ideas!

REF
Go to Top of Page

Ray4445
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
16 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2018 :  11:46:02  Show Profile
Thanks John and Tim, Looks like two good ideas!

REF
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2018 :  15:11:07  Show Profile
Wow Tim, so that’s what a proper galley looks like. Nice!

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2018 :  16:19:31  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

Wow Tim, so that’s what a proper galley looks like. Nice!

Thanks, all my wife's doing. We have new carpet in since and cleaned up the teak. That's an off the shelf cutting board too. Just had a couple of notches routed on the bottom to fit the support pegs.

I tell people the boat is rigged for comfort!

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2018 :  16:36:10  Show Profile
Rigged for comfort.... After sailing my interior looks more like a bomb was rigged inside. As I tell the wife when she hears something fall, It's a sailboat, Everything ends up on the floor

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2018 :  19:46:44  Show Profile
I replaced the pressurized alcohol unit in Passage with the same 2-burner Origo--a drop-in, and much safer, but not cheap. On my current boat, I just use a portable butane stove like John's--it can be used in the galley or the cockpit, and cooks like gas (which it is). If you need more than one burner, get two--they are cheap! The butane canisters are more expensive than alcohol--you'll have to decide how that affects your overall budget.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page