Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Electrical Panel Service Light
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gunner
Deckhand

Member Avatar

Canada
12 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/24/2019 :  07:48:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys, me again.

I recently started fixing the rats nest of electrical connections on my 1986 Catalina 25. The previous owner had ranted and raved about the LED nav lights, anchor light, and knotmeter he had installed himself, but after learning the basics of 12v electrical systems I started "fixing" some of his poor electrical connections (merretts, electrical tape, and undersized wires). I'm only part of the way done this "fixing" project.

Yesterday I did a single simple fix- I replaced some taped-on wires from a 12v cigarette plug that were hooked up to the "Accessory" switch on the panel, and negative to the terminal block. I put a larger sized wire with crimped connections there in its place. After hooking it back up the little light next to the "Service" switch is no longer lighting up when I turn the battery selector over to either battery. All of the systems still function properly, including the 12v plug and firing up my inboard diesel. so I'm a little confused as to what is going on. All systems have power, and all of the essential connections (battery to selector, to fuse panel, etc) are in good health.

Google queries were pretty unsuccessful. Someone had suggested that it only lights up if there are at least 12v travelling through that light. Is this true? Anybody have any ideas?

I do have a multimeter, I just don't know how to properly use it yet.

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3993 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2019 :  13:05:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The service light goes on when the service switch is on. The service switch turns power on to the entire panel. With the service switch on check to see if you have power at the back of the light with a test lamp or your multimeter. Could be that the bulb is just popped. Do this by connecting the neg. wire of your meter to the neg. buss bar then touch one at a time the 2 wires on the back of the service light. One of the wires should be live an show power on your meter. If it shows power going to the service light but the bulb isn't lighting then the bulb is blown.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2019 :  16:39:38  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with Scott about troubleshooting with a multi-meter. They are incredibly versatile and inexpensive. Here's an affordable one I keep aboard:
[https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019R0ECIY]
"TekPower TP8233E Auto-ranging Handheld AC/DC Digital Multimeter with Temperature Measurement" $15.

When using any multimeter in current mode (or with a test lead in the high current jack regardless of which position the selector dial is in), pay close attention to the circuit you're creating with the meter. The good news is all quality meters now have fuses in the current sections. (The bad news is getting replacements can take awhile, unless ordered in advance.)

If you don't already have a good book on boat electrics, I recommend one of these by Don Casey:
"Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual" or
"This Old Boat" or
"Sailboat Electrics Simplified" or
Nigel Calder’s "Boatowners Mechanical and Electrical Manual" or
Charlie Wing's "Boatowner’s Illustrated Electrical Handbook"

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page