Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Donating a Boat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steve Raffel
Captain

Member Avatar

262 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/18/2019 :  16:26:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a 1999 Catalina 250 WK. Unfortunately, we must give up sailing and would like to donate the boat to a charity. The boat is on Long Island Sound in Connecticut.

Does anyone have experience with donations and could give us come advice?

Steve Raffel
C 250 WK #408

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1739 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2019 :  07:06:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have looked into this as well. While I think all charities do things slightly differently, typically a charity that will sell your boat will give you a receipt with no value until they sell it, at which point they will notify you of the price it was sold for, hence your charitable donation. however, if donated to an organization that will use the boat, then they will provide a receipt immediately. Two years ago I donated my 17 ft CC powerboat to a university for use as a chase boat for their sailing team. I had to provide the NADA or BUC value (average of high and low) and they gave me a tax form with that value on it. Again, I think all charities do things slightly differently. Overall, I would look for a sailing school/program first, then talk to SailAngel, Kids4Cars, Salvation Army, etc. One final thing, find out how they expect to pick up the boat -- if they need it on land, you will be paying for the haul-out. I know a 250 is a trailerable, but if you do not have a trailer . . . . Good luck!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2019 :  07:19:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another variation I've heard about from boat donations to the Mystic Seaport is that if the organization keeps the boat for some number of years (2?) before selling it, the donor can deduct the appraised amount rather than the actual sale amount. (This might be a loophole designed for the "use" option Peter mentioned.) Don't take my word on that, and I doubt all places will offer to keep a boat for that purpose... Mystic Seaport is somewhat unique, and the option might only be offered to donors of more expensive boats.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 08/20/2019 07:22:26
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 08/21/2019 :  16:25:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We donate boats and other things (outboards, etc) to our youth sailing program's qualified charity entity. I never ask for receipts for donations... I have never had enough Ducks to bother with DeDucks.

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page