Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Navigation Lights
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/02/2024 :  08:03:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know there's been several threads on navigation lighting over the years but wondering if there's any updated lights available.

Have any vendors come out with LED lights to replace the old Model 25 lights that our newer boats had as standard equipment? Looking for a plug and play solution if possible.

Also, any suggestions on replacing the deck connector for the mast lights? Has anyone tried the Blue Seas cable clams for running the mast wiring thru the deck?

Any and all suggestions/recommendations are appreciated.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2024 :  17:21:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Gary,
This is a great question, since technology is always advancing. I took a little time to check Catalina Direct and they offer a Hella Nav Light that takes a single 25W incandescent bulb. This is definitely old school,however, it works and it’s USCG approved. They also offer an Aqua Signal red-green filtered bow nav light that takes a specific red and green composite navigation LED lamp. While the lens uses a half red/half green filter, the lamp corresponds with the colors, so you won’t see that characteristic washed-out blue-green that you’ll normally see with white LEDs that are filtered through the plastic green lens.
This is a true advance in the technology.
See:: https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-38/electrical/navigation-lights/bow-navigation-light-redgreen-82lt-gt98
And read the technical description.
I’m not familiar with the cabin wire feed that you’ve pointed out. My mast feed remains a conventional rubber seal type. What do you recommend about this new one?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 02/10/2024 :  14:47:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not through Catalina Direct, but a couple of years ago I found LED replacements on line. I bought them but they are still in a box ready for a future project. I do have LED tricolor on mast and have replaced almost al of the cabin lights with LED. I will check out Bruce's link as he knows tons more than I do about upgrades!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 02/11/2024 :  07:20:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here’s a compatible USCG certified 2NM red-green LED for the Aqua Signal fixture from Defender

https://defender.com/en_us/dr-led-bi-color-polar-star-25-festoon-navigation-led-replacement-bulb-8001122

Between the cost of the fixture and the cost of the LED lamp, it’ll be under US$100.

Hella also offers a completely sealed fixture plus LED light, however, it’s pricing out in the midUS$200 range. The advantages of this option is: 1. It’s watertight, so corrosion should be less of an issue, and 2. It’s an all-in-one solution, so you’re not trying to make sure the lamp and fixture are matched, polarity is correct, and the LED light doesn’t get misaligned with the fixture.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

AUAE
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
23 Posts

Response Posted - 02/13/2024 :  20:21:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I replaced mine with the "economy" light from Marinebeam. Definitely a plug-and-play solution. It's the same Aqua Signal housing with an LED light in it, so if your housing is fine you'd have the same setup if you just got an LED bulb. My old light was damaged so this was an easy option to replace the whole thing.
https://store.marinebeam.com/economy-series-25-led-navigation-light-bi-color-bow-port-starboard/

Kav Eldredge
1990 TR/WK #6001 "Ocean Liner"
Birmingham, AL
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/13/2024 :  22:42:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a note related to Bruce's comments about LED bulbs being compatible with the lenses... The USCG regs require for the red and green running lights that the bulb and fixture have been tested and approved as a unit. LED replacements for incandescent bulbs in some random fixtures are not in compliance, because as Bruce's discussion suggests, they will likely be virtually white and white on the water.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 03/01/2024 :  22:43:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

Here’s a compatible USCG certified 2NM red-green LED for the Aqua Signal fixture from Defender

https://defender.com/en_us/dr-led-bi-color-polar-star-25-festoon-navigation-led-replacement-bulb-8001122

Between the cost of the fixture and the cost of the LED lamp, it’ll be under US$100.

Hella also offers a completely sealed fixture plus LED light, however, it’s pricing out in the midUS$200 range. The advantages of this option is: 1. It’s watertight, so corrosion should be less of an issue, and 2. It’s an all-in-one solution, so you’re not trying to make sure the lamp and fixture are matched, polarity is correct, and the LED light doesn’t get misaligned with the fixture.

I've got one of these bulbs in my Aqua Signal 25 fixture. The light looks great at night but I found that it's easy for the bulb to move around and lose contact to the prongs in the fixture. It constantly blinks off and on if it's choppy.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 03/01/2024 :  22:44:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AUAE

I replaced mine with the "economy" light from Marinebeam. Definitely a plug-and-play solution. It's the same Aqua Signal housing with an LED light in it, so if your housing is fine you'd have the same setup if you just got an LED bulb. My old light was damaged so this was an easy option to replace the whole thing.
https://store.marinebeam.com/economy-series-25-led-navigation-light-bi-color-bow-port-starboard/

This looks like what I have been looking for to replace my old fixture with updated lighting.

Do you have any issues with it blinking off and on in chop?

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 03/01/2024 22:45:21
Go to Top of Page

AUAE
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
23 Posts

Response Posted - 03/05/2024 :  18:27:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't had any issues with the lights blinking, although I don't specifically remember being out in very choppy water at night. I have trailered the boat for some long distances and that hasn't rattled anything loose.

Kav Eldredge
1990 TR/WK #6001 "Ocean Liner"
Birmingham, AL
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/06/2024 :  22:35:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken, while you might not have experienced blinking LED nav lights, the weight of the LED light assembly (the “bulb”) can create a lot of momentum when the boat is bobbing or pitching in a chop or swell.
For example, I installed one of those LED bulbs that contained several LED lamps, a built-in power regulator, and a circuit board suspended between two pointy contacts into my old Aquasignal fixture.
The corresponding receptacle “fingers” that are designed to hold a simple lightweight glass bulb with a filament (standard incandescent bulb) were overcome by the weight of the chunky LED.
Not all receptacles are built the same way, some are built more ruggedly than others. If yours is lightweight, you might experience the problem. If it’s stiffer, you probably won’t.
Finally, electronics get smaller and lighter over time, so it might be a non-issue given newer lamps. Your mileage may vary, but it’s something to look out for.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page