Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Capri 25 Specific Forum
 Anticipation is now out of the water...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Member Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/06/2014 :  19:24:36  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
She's sitting in the driveway now. My derig took exactly 2.5 hours, solo, and I wasn't rushing. I'm so practiced at it now, that it's pretty uneventful (JUST THE WAY I LIKE IT).

Yeah I have to take all my personal stuff off the boat, and clean up my trash (some).. I'll also put the battery on charge for the new owner.

My 360 degree rotating dolly wheels (2) rated at 300lbs a piece worked flawlessly to lower the unhitched trailer on. I must have turned wrong while I was pulling the boat out, and the trailer wheel went off the edge of the ramp. that's a 4" drop, boat was already 1' out of the water, so the trailer was hung, so much that it wouldn't back down... so I DRAGGED the trailer at an angle severe enough to put the tire back on the edge, and it worked... nothing broken, but was scary to see.

I was at the ramp about 15 minutes. Back down, chock wheels (with rocks forgot my wheel chocks), unhitch... then install strap, pull up slack, lower down to dolly wheels, back down... Winch boat on, keel guides line up boat, once lined up, pull up... dolly wheels now taking all the weight of the hitch... 500ish lbs.

once up on dry pavement, chock wheels, lower jack, back truck down, hitch back up... done...

worked great, once again super happy with how well all that worked. Of course my A-frame with the mainsheet for purchase lowered the mast nice and straight to the mast support. Got waked during the process, as I do this ON the water, but control was VERY good, was able to steer it right into the yoke.

I hope the new owner appreciates the amount of time/effort that went into designing systems that were easy to use by 1, and better to use by 2, making this all pretty academic... Lets face it, none of us likes the launch/retrieve, we just want to sail... it might as well be easy!

I'm going to miss sailing this boat. It's a stellar sailing boat for sure, but our local One Design fleet is S2 7.9 heavy, and it makes sense to join the herd in this case, to build a strong OD fleet, that makes racing more fun for all. I'll be honest too, a lifting keel, and launchable in 18 inches of water will be welcome after years of 4'2" fin keel launching.

Edited by - shnool on 08/06/2014 19:28:32

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 08/06/2014 :  19:51:30  Show Profile
Hope you stay around and keep posting your race results and pictures. Been nice having you around.

Edited by - GaryB on 08/06/2014 19:52:33
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 08/06/2014 :  20:36:21  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by GaryB

Hope you stay around and keep posting your race results and pictures. Been nice having you around.

What he said...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2014 :  04:23:05  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
No problem I'll move myself to the "admiralty" hehehe... I'm going to suggest strongly that the new owner draw from your folks experience here. Seems like a great guy, hope he has as much fun with the boat as I did.

By the way, my results so far this year? poor... 3rd, 3rd, 6th, 6th, 3rd... the last 3rd I did solo as it was my crew's wifes birthday, and I couldn't scare up crew in time. I was actually proud of that result. We've consistently had 14 starters, my fleet has been light this year though, just 7 of us... My fleet results were 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 3rd... with myself at 4th overall right now, matching points with 3rd. Actually I am tied overall as well at 3rd/4th...

Gonna miss the next race (we have 2 throw outs)... and I am going to miss another race, so I really only have 1 more chance to improve my standing... don't know if I can do it with a new boat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2014 :  09:44:42  Show Profile
Hey John, Is the new owner taking the boat elsewhere? Just wondering why you put it on the trailer.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2014 :  10:31:27  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
New owner is in Arkansas, I promised to drive up to a day's travel... and I'm driving to TN to cut his drive time down by (some).
He's a sailing newb, but with some help from you folks I bet he's sailing like a pro in no time.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page