Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Mainsheet Attached to Boom
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SailAway
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
46 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/29/2014 :  10:58:09  Show Profile
This might sound crazy but would there be a problem if I moved the main sheet attachment to the boom forward about 2 feet? The reason for this is to make room for a 6 ft bimini to fit under the boom between the back stay and main sheet. Right now it is attached about a foot aft of the cleat and it needs to be about a foot forward of the cleat. I don't really want to cut holes in my bimini for the split back stay to go through if I don't have to.

Edited by - on

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 09/29/2014 :  11:59:54  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Greg,
I would expect it to add a load to the sheeting force!

Wheel or Tiller?

We have Wheel steering, and the bimini over the wheel and aft makes a huge difference, not sure if it would be that different for a tiller.

Having a hole in the bimini is not that big a deal. Our new bimini has a hole with a sunbrella shroud sewn around it which forms a tube for the back stay.

Our previous bimini had a hole with s zipper to the port side of the bimini. That allowed for removal of the bimini canvas from the frame, but we could not fold down the frame. We would have had to secure it to the back stay or release the backstay, fold down or for aft the bimini frame and resecure the back stay. Never did!

So with our new bimini, if we needed to take it down, we would release the backstay.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

SailAway
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
46 Posts

Response Posted - 09/29/2014 :  14:02:52  Show Profile
I have a tiller.
Other than not wanting to cut a hole in the bimini, I was thinking that it would be nice to have the shade a bit more forward when at anchor.
I know that the shrouds are swept back a bit but is it safe to remove the back stay with the mast up? Pardon my ignorance, this is my first year with this boat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 09/29/2014 :  18:06:42  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Greg, it is pretty well a required maneuver to release the back stay in order to lower the mast.

So I have no issues with releasing the backstay to fold down the bimini.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tom Potter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1913 Posts

Response Posted - 09/30/2014 :  14:37:35  Show Profile
When I had my 250, I moved the main sheet a foot forward on the boom to make room for a Bimini just as you describe. No problems. Also had split back stays, so the Bimini had holes for the stays with zippers so I could remove the Bimini from the frame when needed without having to take things apart.

Have the same set up om my Oday. It makes removing the canvas when storms are headed my way a breeze.

Edited by - Tom Potter on 09/30/2014 14:59:02
Go to Top of Page

Dave Brown
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
174 Posts

Response Posted - 10/15/2014 :  15:35:22  Show Profile
From nebr.
Now that's a lot of money for a Bimini !!!
I picked up a 3 bow, 6 foot long, stock off the shelf, with some 4 foot long sliders form a catalog. Mounted the sliders on the side of the boat, facing up, redrilled the boom, so I could move the main sheet FWD about 18 inch's, and mount the Bimini between the back stays, and the mainsheet.
Now, If, like a lot of people do, you need the Bimini 10 feet in the air above the seats, or wheel, This will not work for you. if you need the Bimini over the Catbird seats, this will not work for you. But, if you can live with the Bimini over the Main part of the cockpit, and under the boom,this works VERY WELL. I sail most of the time with the bimini up. Now how hi is the Bimini over the main seating area??
Sit on your boat, put a hat on, now add another 6" over your head, will that work for you? Ya, your going to bend over when you walk in the boat, and the stock bimini will need to be cut down, "only the main mounting bar" but stop and sit down, now look in your pocket, what do you find, ALL THAT MONEY YOU SAVED!!!!!!
That's how we poor folk do it.
Dave B.
____________/)_______________/)____________/))))))______________

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Brown
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
174 Posts

Response Posted - 10/15/2014 :  15:47:47  Show Profile
the above was taken from a PAST post. I have done just what your about to do on my boat. Re drilled the boom and I also lowered the Bimini, by cutting the Mounting tube down. I also re-cut the mainsail clue 8" higher. (so I could sail with the Bimini up ) I find I dont need 25" between my head and the Bimini. I dont need to stand up and walk from one end of the boat to the other, When sitting, I have maybe 8" clearance. Now this works for us, but not all.
my 2 cents worth
DB.

___________________/)_______________/)____________/)))))___________

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

SailAway
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
46 Posts

Response Posted - 10/15/2014 :  16:34:00  Show Profile
Thanks everyone for the replies! I'll probably move the attachment point forward some but I'm not sure how much until I buy the bimini. I have a friend who is really good with a sewing machine so I can ask her to do something to go around the back stays. I'm not really planning on sailing too much with it up. Just want some shade over the cockpit when anchored out.
Greg

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/15/2014 :  18:35:40  Show Profile
Your friend might need a different machine for that material and thread...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

SailAway
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
46 Posts

Response Posted - 10/15/2014 :  18:49:43  Show Profile
She is a sailor, she has a Sailrite :-)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page