Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Ventilating the Dumpster
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

3474 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/21/2019 :  05:05:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My dumpster holds moisture and I've been mulling over designs for many years. Drilling holes into the wood panel between the aft birth and the dumpster, adding screen on the dumpster side. Drilling a hole into panel with the electric panel, also screening. Hole in the forward section of the coaming.. and of course for that location I dream of some computer fan run by a solar panel... But I'm thinking passive venting ( just a screened opening ) would be just fine, with a clamshell facing upward on the inside of the coaming to block water.

But then there is the French wine and Cheeses....

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2019 :  08:01:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do you think about two small screened vents to the cockpit? Two vents create some cross flow and its outside air moving though the dumpster.

Erik Cornelison
6th Generation Professional Sailor, First Gen Submarine Sailor.
1986 Standard Rig SW. #5234
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 03/22/2019 :  05:43:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
<< What do you think about two small screened vents to the cockpit? >>

That would be a no go for me... to much potential to introduce water into the dumpster while sailing.. I know lots of bigger boats put hatches there and even the coamings around the opening can be ankle biters.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

sailboat
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
149 Posts

Response Posted - 03/22/2019 :  21:26:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe in decent weather just crack the lid open and still be able to lock it. Close it when sailing.

Mike
Chariots of Fire
1981 Cat-25. sail number 2230
SR/SK Dinette Version
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 03/24/2019 :  11:30:27  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Here are a few more suggestions.

On my boat there are two SS clamshell vent cowls on the cockpit combing at the quarters: the one on the port quarter faces forward and one on the stbd. quarter faces aft. The latter has a flexible duct (like a dryer hose) attached to the bottom extending down through the ledge at the aft end of the quarter berth into the space that's contiguous with the space below the quarter berth.

This is similar to the conventional arrangement for a power boat, especially one that houses a gasoline motor below decks. A power boat generates its own wind, so to speak, and air is scooped into the forward-facing cowl and exhausted out the aft-facing cowl. The duct from the aft-facing cowl is usually led to the bilges, so the air being exhausted will remove any heavier-than-air gasoline fumes.

On a sailboat opposing vent cowls could be useful for forcing ventilation on both upwind and downwind points of sail.

However, in our boats (on my '84, at least) there is very little exchange between the dumpster and that area beneath the quarter berth. This defeats the purpose of opposing vent cowls. A big improvement would be to drill a series of holes in the bulkhead between those areas. My manual bilge pump is mounted in the dumpster, and the intake hose passes loosely through a hole in that bulkhead, with a coil of hose beneath the quarter berth. Although that hole is somewhat larger than the hose OD it isn't large enough to be effective for cross-ventilation. I've thought about cutting more holes, but in the cool San Francisco climate it hasn't been an important issue for me personally. When I'm ready to try to stow anything in the dumpster (I believe Catalina refers to that area as a sail locker) I'll probably want better ventilation.

I thought about the possibility that the dumpster could serve as a flotation chamber to slow a sinking from a catastrophic failure elsewhere in the boat, but I think the hole for the bilge pump hose negates that prospect.

Another thing to consider, if you were to follow this suggestion, would be to drill similar holes through the bottom of the bulkhead between the dumpster and the space beneath the galley. This space is contiguous with the spaces under both of the settees in a dinette model, and I presume it would also connect with the space beneath the settee in a traditional or an L-dinette configuration. This is another job on my to-do list (down there with the holes under the quarter berth) for when I'm willing to climb into the dumpster with a drill and hole saw (and a really good full-face particle-mask).

Even with no external air movement, these cowls can also help ventilate those areas by passive convective circulation: as warming air within enclosed spaces rises and exits through relatively high ventilation openings it draws cooler air in through relatively lower openings. When sun shining on the cockpit settee warms the dumpster the warming air could leave through the port quarter cowl. At other times it might be that warm air escaping the cabin could draw cool outside air in through the cowls. Convective circulation on our little boats probably wouldn't ever be a very powerful effect, but it could be enhanced by the holes I've described as well as holes leading to those spaces from the interior of the saloon. I've already installed rectangular louvered vents in the sides of the settees, and I have another louvered vent to install under the companionway (another lower-priority job).

Any of these ideas could help, Ray, and implementing all of them - along with the ideas already offered by others - could make a big difference. As Spring begins to bring warmer weather it might be time to do something.

I hope this is helpful.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 03/24/2019 :  19:39:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank You Lee that is very helpful. I always enjoy hearing your provisional designs, as well as the results.

It is interesting to consider designs in different climates. This last year we had so much rain here in Antlanta ( over 70 inches and the second highest on record ) that everything around me seemed to rot. The only time I got on the boat I was sailing rather thank working on projects.

I actual kinda miss working on projects. So cheers, here's to dryer weather!

And venting.

We will probably have another long dry spell now.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 03/26/2019 :  18:36:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have that 120v computer fan in a wood enclosure i built forever ago that pressurises the cabin. Dumpster always had moisture issues so eventually i took a hole saw from the aft berth and one to the fuel locker on the deck, put Louvers and screens on them and the issues were almost immediately gone and haven’t had them since.

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/26/2019 :  19:17:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just keep the French cheeses out of there. The wine is OK.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/27/2019 :  19:21:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the Stilchester cheese myself. Delicious cheddar surrounding a moldy spreadable cheese.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 03/30/2019 :  11:13:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Posted this question on the Catalina 25 Facebook page.

I just cleaned the dumpster this morning...very humid and moldy inside from the winter storage...and where I live it's usually 10-20% humidity out here in Western Colorado. I never saw mold my entire life until I left home and joined the Navy.

I probably will install two small vents to the cockpit, but no decisions yet.

Erik

Erik Cornelison
6th Generation Professional Sailor, First Gen Submarine Sailor.
1986 Standard Rig SW. #5234

Edited by - Erik Cornelison on 03/30/2019 11:16:24
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/30/2019 :  19:21:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Erik, it couldn’t hurt and probably would reduce moisture. I’m doing my best to rebed all my deck hardware and have found a few sources of moisture with stanchions and chainplates. Once I’m done with these I’m planning to add some active and passive vents.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 04/01/2019 :  03:25:26  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Water can also enter from where the wires pass thru the transom to the outboard. This generally happens when it rains and the water follows the wires thru the hole in the transom. Rcmd cover that area with caulking or something that can be fairly easy to remove to facilitate removal of the wires, when necessary.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/01/2019 :  17:56:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought a pair of white plastic louvered vents yesterday. I’m planning to mount one inside the cabin to allow air to flow into the bilge from the cabin and put an exhaust vent on the dumpster with a 12 VDC fan running off it’s own Lithium Iron Phosphate battery pack that’s charged using an 8W solar panel. These are the common 3.2V solar light batteries available in home and garden centers.
I’m working out the power budget but I plan to make the batteries charge throughout the day, then run the fan in the evening when the air cools down.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 04/05/2019 :  04:31:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I should do that this weekend but then I'd have get down in the dumpster and its all wet and damp down there. Oh wait, that's why...

Well Maybe I can clean it out for a start.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/05/2019 :  06:31:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I mounted some hardware (that probably still puzzle's Voyager Bruce) on the transom by climbing down into the dumpster and sliding on my back under the fuel locker. Fun! Then something caused the lid to fall closed and the only light I had was the glowing boot-stripe. I may have thrown out the shirt and jeans when that was over...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/05/2019 :  06:53:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's funny, The few times I wiggled my 6'3" frame down in the dumpster I bungee the lid up. I had a total fear of that exact scenario.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 04/05/2019 06:55:07
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 04/05/2019 :  07:12:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ditto....and I'm only 6'1". I also learned to remove my belt if I lean head first into the dumpster to reach deep ... never anticipated the buckle getting caught on the outer lip...

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 04/06/2019 :  02:59:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I installed two of these on the cockpit to the dumpster.

Sea-Dog Rectangular Louvered Vent
Function: Locker Ventilation
Material: Stainless Steel
Dimensions: 2-5/8" H x 5" W

https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|6880|2290139|2290142&
id=46393

They took care of the moisture issue.

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.

Edited by - hewebb on 04/06/2019 03:00:49
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page