Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 1980 Motor Mount
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ray4445
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
16 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/26/2019 :  15:33:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All, My 1980 Catalina 25 original factory outboard motor mount has failed and am looking for suggestions on what I might replace it with.
Apparently I can't replace the "shock absorber" which I believe is the problem.

Do not know how to qualify a replacement and appreciate any suggestions.

Ray

REF

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2019 :  05:02:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would call Catalina Direct and ask them for advice. You might be able to get new springs, or maybe a new mount.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2019 :  11:13:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If by "shock absorber" you mean a gas strut that assists in raising the motor, and the unit is made of aluminum castings, you have an OMC mount that I think Catalina might have offered for some brief period. (OMC used to be Johnson and Evinrude.) You might be able to find a replacement strut, but I have no idea how or where. Maybe eBay? (I doubt OMC made the strut.)

The Garhauer mount that Catalina Direct sells now is pretty much a direct replacement for another one Catalina offered for a much longer time--it's made of stainless steel tubes and bars, now available with 2, 3 or 4 lifting springs depending on motor weight. It supposedly mounts using the same holes as what it replaces, but that might not be what you have. For vertical travel and matching to motor weight, the Garhauer seems to be about as good as you can get.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 08/27/2019 11:16:22
Go to Top of Page

Ray4445
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
16 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2019 :  14:24:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank You Dave and Ray,

Yup, the 1980 mount even says OMC on it. I've scoured the internet and there appear to be no replacement parts for that motor mount. I'm in contact with Catalina Direct and unfortunately the hole spacing for hull attachment is off by an inch 5" instead of 4" vertically and 11" instead of 7 " horizontally for the G brand, 2 spring.

REF
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/28/2019 :  07:37:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding holes, I bought a bracket that was different from what the previous owner had... I covered the old holes with a Starboard (HDPE) plate on the transom to stiffen it under the bracket for my 110 lb. extra-long Honda. If you don't do something like that, you can easily fill the holes with Marine Tex (epoxy putty). Your new holes will be through both the transom and the inner liner, and some sort of small backing plate on the liner for at least the top two bolts is a good idea. I doubt you'll find any current bracket that matches to the holes for the OMC.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page