Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Winter Sailing
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kendall
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
146 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/20/2008 :  17:47:10  Show Profile
Its getting kind of slow around here, even though a good number of members can still go sailing. If you are one of those people, then post up some pictures. If you are live up north and ice sailing is on your to do list, then post some pictures of that. If you are currently huddling by the fireplace with your laptop hoping your boat isnt one big block of ice, than just remember that fall is only three months away.

Ill start. Temps in the high seventies and winds one to five made for a relaxing sail around the lagoon. Boat functioned flawlessly. Engine performed without a complaint. We ironed out the kinks in our docking routine. [url="http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg182/kjscomp/sailing_12_20_08/"]More pictures here.[/url]

Kendall of S.S.S. 247
'79 Catalina 25 sr/sk #961
Lake Worth, Florida

Edited by - Kendall on 12/20/2008 17:50:33

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 12/23/2008 :  12:53:11  Show Profile
what's the password to log-in?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Kendall
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
146 Posts

Response Posted - 12/23/2008 :  14:46:01  Show Profile
Sorry, try it again.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

lcharlot
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Antigua and Barbuda
1301 Posts

Response Posted - 12/24/2008 :  23:01:22  Show Profile
Our sailing club is planning a cruise to Monterey over the MLK weekend next month. Daytime temperature in Monterey in January is generally low 60's, and upper 40's to low 50's overnight. About 20 degrees warmer than Folsom Lake, which is where I do most of my sailing in summer. Folsom Lake has been closed since last July 2nd anyway due to low water, so I couldn't launch the boat there even if It wasn't freezing cold at this time of year. This will be the first chance I have had to use my boat since Labor day, so I hope the weather's okay and not pouring rain (January is the rainiest month in northern and central California).

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3369 Posts

Response Posted - 12/25/2008 :  08:40:33  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I will be sailing today...probably head down to the boat in an hour or so. It will be partly sunny, breezy but calming down a bit later and temps today in the mid 40s which is an improvement over the last week of colder temps in the 20s and 30s.

I am hoping to get a few good days of sailing in before I take my sails off the boat. My sails are now 1 year old and Quantum's 2 year warranty calls for an inspection after the first year. So...I will probably drop the sails just before or just after New Year's and bring them into their office in Annapolis. If they return them to me same day or within a week or so, then I'll bide my time, otherwise, I will hoist my old sails back on.

One way or another, I will be sailing this winter unless the Potomac River freezes over...So far with warm temps thru this weekend, there is no chance that will happen. But it's the mid-January to Mid-February period that it happened before, so too early to tell.

Happy sailing for those that can.....and Happy sailing "game playing" for those that can't.

Edited by - OLarryR on 12/25/2008 08:42:31
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 12/25/2008 :  18:59:05  Show Profile
I'm hoping to do a lot of sailing during the next week. Tomorrow it's supposed to be partly cloudy and with a high in the mid-70's. Rain sets in for Saturday and cloudy skies for Sunday but starting Monday it's supposed to be clear to partly cloudy with highs in the mid-60s. I'm going to try and hit the water everyday the weather is good next week.

May even try to take my first trip across the bay for a night or two.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 12/25/2008 :  22:55:54  Show Profile
I'm counting the days - Jan 15 I'll hitch up Pearl and head for Pensacola, FL and Sabine Marina for a couple of months. Usually in the 60's with nice breezes. Pearl's summer home on lake Erie had a recent forecast of 30 kts, 20ยบ, 7 - 12 ft waves, and heavy freezing spray. I love retirement!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 12/26/2008 :  07:33:14  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
We have a high of 82 in Daytona Beach today and we'll stay warm through the week-end. It was very nice last week-end and I got out, hopefully I'll get out again tomorrow or Sunday.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

aeckhart
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1709 Posts

Response Posted - 12/26/2008 :  09:48:33  Show Profile  Visit aeckhart's Homepage
No sailing in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Eighteen inches of snow since Tuesday night. Temp is warm today though - 23 degrees. Looking forward to launch day - 1 June or so.

Larry - I spent four years in the Monterey area, assigned to Fort Ord.The Bay is a great sailing & diving area, though the water is very cold. Enjoy your trip.

Edited by - aeckhart on 12/26/2008 09:52:26
Go to Top of Page

Tradewind
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
531 Posts

Response Posted - 12/27/2008 :  09:50:18  Show Profile
Planning to sail today, forecast is around 70 with around 10 kts, don't see too many days like this last week of December in GA. Last week I was out with 70-75 degrees and 10/15 kts, beautiful!

Dave5041, Pensacola Bay is my old sailing grounds, lived aboard at Sabine for a few years too. Great place! I'm waiting for a job offer to get me back to the area.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 12/27/2008 :  15:29:48  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
We're planning on a Thursday thru Tuesday long weekend new years day.

Looks like we're going to head to Biscayne Bay, Up to Miami and then down to Card Sound.

Anyone in the area???

paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3369 Posts

Response Posted - 12/27/2008 :  16:40:55  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I was sailing today - Temps rose into the mid-50s but the wind soon dissipated as soon as I was out there. Beautiful day despite no wind. Tomorrow, it is supposed to make into the mid-60s but there is a 60% chance of rain...and plenty of wind. I'll check the forecast tomorrow morning and if the home schedule permits, I'll see if there is a sailing window of opportunity.

Edited by - OLarryR on 12/27/2008 16:41:15
Go to Top of Page

Sloop Smitten
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1181 Posts

Response Posted - 12/29/2008 :  09:32:33  Show Profile
Took Utopia for a great sail yesterday out of Oceanside, CA. Temps were in the mid 50's and there was a solid 10-12 knot breeze with virtually no ocean swell. Covered 15 miles in about 3 hours. We have had quite a bit of rain here in Southern California the past week and the air was clear and allowed spectacular views of the snow-capped mountains. Here are a couple of pics.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 12/29/2008 :  14:08:20  Show Profile

got to sleep on the boat last week.

My idiot camera so not too clear.

Iffin your up north it probably looks pretty good.

It was a quiet night, good reading.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page